Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

MOC Madness Elite Eight Round Starts Today

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: MOC Madness Elite Eight Round Starts Today

Postby onions » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:10 pm

Easy now. We're not here to disparage one another.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby bigospedros » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:04 pm

I'm not ... it's fact ... this time last year, he was crying foul because the first pool he was put in had 23 entrants and the others had 22! I'm just pointing out that he has form ...

In this case, I actually voted for his entry, and have done in every round previous, so I have nothing against him at all. This isn't personal. :) I'm backing you up here :)
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Rook » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:31 pm

Sorry my point was simply that our staff should consider making a no collaberations rule in future contests. :x

I think our staff do an excellent job, as another member pointed out regarding some of my other comments about all I really want is FBTB t-shirt. That says it right there. I love FBTB.

In summary I appologise if my statements seemed directed towards staff or FBTB. It was intended towards my competitor. It just happened to start with comment from staff. And yes I do feel like the competitor "cheated" as stated on other forums, not by breaking any rules, but because it appeared it was not on their own merit.

And yes to the person that said I complain whenever I see an issue or possible error I'm sorry it is my nature to voice my opinion rather than sitting and doing nothing. And of course logically on the Internet it's going to be in topics or conversations that I'm involved in. :S
Last edited by Rook on Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby cas » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:23 pm

I somewhat agree that each entry should be the work of the entree:
Rook wrote:if you can't win on your merit what's the point

Part of the problem however is there isn't a way to regulate it unless the builder and/or entrant discloses the fact that it was built in a collaboration or by someone else entirely and thus become disqualified. The other problem is the extent of the collaboration: Do design ideas constitute collaboration if I asked a friend to help me come up with a cool or interesting design? Or building techniques? Borrowing parts or even full blow access to someone else's Lego parts collection? Where does it begin or stop?
cas
Staff Writer

Postby Rook » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:26 pm

Very good point. Varying degrees of collabration in almost every thing. :x
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby ted @ndes » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:53 pm

On staff participation (or collaboration), since it is a community voting method I can undertand why it would be perceived as acceptable... However, the one advantage any staff entrant does have is being able to vote in "staff tie-breaker polls", when other entrants cannot. I'm not sure of the details on how staff polls are administered, so maybe that is a non-issue, but hopefully that's taken into account.
ted @ndes
Alpha Male

Postby Solo » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:17 pm

The obvious solution there is not allowing any involved staff members to vote in such a poll if one were ever required.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby onions » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:23 am

Rook wrote:Sorry my point was simply that our staff should consider making a no collaberations rule in future contests. :x

I think our staff do an excellent job, as another member pointed out regarding some of my other comments about all I really want is FBTB t-shirt. That says it right there. I love FBTB.

In summary I appologise if my statements seemed directed towards staff or FBTB. It was intended towards my competitor. It just happened to start with comment from staff. And yes I do feel like the competitor "cheated" as stated on other forums, not by breaking any rules, but because it appeared it was not on their own merit.

And yes to the person that said I complain whenever I see an issue or possible error I'm sorry it is my nature to voice my opinion rather than sitting and doing nothing. And of course logically on the Internet it's going to be in topics or conversations that I'm involved in. :S

like i said, rook, there are ways to voice your concerns WITHOUT tarnishing the reputation of this site or the integrity of the contests we hold. also, insulting your fellow builders will make you enemies faster than you realize.

there's not much more i can say. i can defend myself, fbtb, and the staff members 'til the cows come home, but the damage is already done. and the sad part is, i really don't think you understand the damages you may have caused. all because you lost to a ship that the majority of the community liked more.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby onions » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:12 pm

for record, LEGO did NOT provide any of the prizes for 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place. Everything was bought with money earned from the site. they usually don't provide any prizes, and if they do, i usually say 'sponsored by lego'.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby volumex » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:37 pm

Gotta work on those LEGO guys.... ;) nice to know that FBTB has gone all out here. I salute you and the staff for creating this epic building adventure, not forgetting those awesome prizes, and we already know who has fingers crossed ;)
volumex

Previous

Return to Contests & Community Builds