Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: New Info on LEGO Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary

Postby Draykov » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:50 pm

Mister Ed wrote:True, though I would think, if that were the case, the inclusion of the lightsaber would be a bit odd. I mean, SURE, he OWNED one at that point, but he didn't appear to have it on him during the ceremony...

We can reasonably assume based on this preliminary shot that it will be a Luke fig (I mean, it does say "Luke Skywalker"), but what kind of Luke fig would be a worthwhile exclusive? Given the "minifigure image not final" message, there's not necessarily anything in the image to rely on to make a guess as to what the final version will be. However, if the preliminary shot is meant to serve as a reasonable facsimile of the final version, then what's the first outfit that comes to mind for Luke when you think light top and dark pants?

Last edited by Draykov on Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby MacDuff » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:09 pm

Ah yes, I remember the scene now. After Luke accepts his medal, a battle-damaged Darth Vader swoops in to attack! Luke raises his light-saber in defense just in time, sparing Chewbacca from being decapitated!

(why would medal ceremony Luke include a light-saber?)

:)

Also, why doesn't Chewie get a medal in the movie?
MacDuff

Postby Flynn » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:58 pm

Why complain? Isn't it nice to get another saber, regardless if it wasn't in the scene?
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby a red shirt » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:22 pm

ki-adi-windu wrote:Anyone else notice that they mislabeled Chewbacca as a Wookiee warrior? He doesn't wear a headdress and he doesn't have his trademark bandolier.

This is one of the first things I noticed as well. A trip to Brickset quickly reveals that this is definitely a "Wookie Warrior" not Chewbacca as has been so carelessly brandished on this clearly preliminary cover. Did anyone else notice the folding radiator panels deployed during "intense dogfights" (see the Incredible Cross Sections series for this) are equally mislabelled "Variable Wing Shields." Very poor Star Wars editing indeed. I imagine such errors will be corrected on the final version. Really though, these authors/graphic artists recieve payment for their work on these books, and of just six of the non-bolded labels, two are wrong. I would hope that someone involved with the book recognizes these errors.

As per the actual book, I am thoroughly impressed with the concept. I would certainly have gone for this book without a minifigure, and having one is just an added bonus. I hope the content is as has already been outlined (an index of some caliber, some pictures, a set development piece, a piece of LSW's reflection in pop culture, the usual DK visual dictionary). I quite like all DK books, for such largely visual content, they have a good amount of imformation (I was able to use for my master's thesis, imagine that).

I will pick up a copy of this surely.

Redshirt
a red shirt

Postby Blacknight » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:40 pm

Yeah the Chewbacca and starfighter wing errors are annoying. If they're going to have pseudo-technical commentary in the captions rather than just set descriptions, they should make sure their captions are accurate.
Blacknight

Postby twentythree » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:22 am

Flynn wrote:Why complain? Isn't it nice to get another saber, regardless if it wasn't in the scene?

My thoughts exactly! I can never seem to have enough weapons/accessories in my sets. :D It is amazing to think that the majority of the posts so far are in favor of another Luke considering how many times I've read complaints about his over-representation in the past. :lol: I was really hoping for a rarer character...perhaps a Battle of Genosis Padme? (ok, so that is definitely more of a fanboy wish) ;)
"I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
"What I told you was true...from a certain point of view" - Obi Wan Kenobi
"A lion, a witch, and a wardrobe walk into a bar...stop me if you've heard this one" - me
twentythree

Postby Andi » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:50 am

Amazon removed the picture again.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby twentythree » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:42 am

Maybe it is being corrected by the publisher at this time.
"I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
"What I told you was true...from a certain point of view" - Obi Wan Kenobi
"A lion, a witch, and a wardrobe walk into a bar...stop me if you've heard this one" - me
twentythree

Postby Draykov » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:50 am

twentythree wrote:It is amazing to think that the majority of the posts so far are in favor of another Luke considering how many times I've read complaints about his over-representation in the past.

i think you need to take that with a grain of salt though...I think it's more that we've all resigned ourselves to a new Luke figure (because it's stated unequivocally on the cover of the book that it will be Luke) and now it's just a matter of which Luke would we actually be happy with...at least, that's my personal stance.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby proudlove » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:57 am

If I were working on the book, I would deliberately make mistakes just so I could watch SW nerds froth at the mouth. I'll definitely be getting this though. Though I wish they would wait until the end of the license so it could be an all inclusive.
proudlove

Postby Crusader » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:08 pm

There have not been all that many Luke figures in the last several years outside of the most expensive sets. Other than the UCS Falcon ($500) or the latest Death Star ($400, but you do get 3 Lukes!)), you can only find him in his flightsuit in both his X-wing and the Hoth base snowspeeder (both $50 or so). You have to go back to Jabba's Sailbarge ($75? or so) to get him in his Jedi robes. And before that, Luke was always yellow not flesh-colored if I'm not mistaken.

So this may be an excellent way for a more recent enthusiast to get a (relatively) cheap Luke.
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative." - G.K. Chesterton
Crusader

Postby Drock » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:13 pm

MacDuff wrote:Also, why doesn't Chewie get a medal in the movie?

I don't think the Rebel Alliance had Wookiees in mind when the designed the medals.

It has haunted me for a long time too.
Drock

Postby liquidcross » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:09 pm

Drock wrote:i don't think the Rebel Alliance had Wookiees in mind when the designed the medals.

Nah. They're just racist. ;)
(and don't forget Text and Violence)
liquidcross

Postby rockinkurt » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:30 pm

wait, he has a black, robot hand, so not from 4, not from 6 cause of hair, so it is from 5, so probably a hoth luke
rockinkurt

Postby yama » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:14 pm

sorry, no.
1. he isn't wearing the black glove on his robot hand as long as in E6 on the travel from Tatooine to Dagobah
2. I don't see any black glove there...
3. Hair is only used on E4 Luke
4. Since he is only wearing the Tatooine Outfit, Stormtrooper Outfit, Pilot Outfit, Ceremony Outfit in E4...

I guess we get a Ceremonial Luke!!! JAY!!!

PS I agree he has quite long hair in E5 still, it could be only the pre-Bacta-tank-outfit (Hoth Scout, naked, pre-Bacta-Tank, Pilot, tan Dagobah, sleeveless Dagobah, again tan Dagobah) and I would LOVE to have that as well, but I doubt it is him.
yama

Postby batsamd » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:05 pm

I don't see the cover on Amazon anymore, was it removed?
batsamd

Postby HothTrooper » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:24 pm

It does seem that the preliminary cover was removed from Amazon today. Maybe there will be a finalized cover up in its place soon?
HothTrooper

Postby BigBenKenobi » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:48 pm

That's what I would think happened. That kind of thing tends to happen with some products on Amazon and other sites.
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
BigBenKenobi

Postby txtxtx » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:49 am

HothTrooper wrote:It does seem that the preliminary cover was removed from Amazon today. Maybe there will be a finalized cover up in its place soon?

BigBenKenobi wrote:That's what I would think happened. That kind of thing tends to happen with some products on Amazon and other sites.

They probably were reading this forum, and saw all the mistakes they made!!!!
Anakin: "All right, but you owe me one, and not for saving your skin for the tenth time."
Obi-Wan: "Ninth time. That business on Cato Neimoidia doesn't... doesn't count."
txtxtx

Postby onions » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:07 am

the cover is still up. and it's the same as before.
onions
Founder
Founder

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars