Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Not Looking Good...

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Not Looking Good...

Postby Staff » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:21 am

Pepa Quin found the entire 2010 LEGO Star Wars and LEGO Toy Story line up at his local Toys'R'Us, and it's not looking good:

PepaBroke: Freeco Speeder - $29.99
PepaBroke: for 177 pieces
PepaBroke: TIE Defender - $54.99
PepaBroke: for 308 pieces
PepaBroke: ARC-170 - $64.99
PepaBroke: for less then 400 pieces
PepaBroke: what a ****ing rip off
PepaBroke: (I may not have remembered the piece count exactly)
PepaBroke: got the two battle packs ($12.99) and the tri-droid fighter ($29.99)
PepaBroke: they had RC ($21.99), army men (12.99) Buzz Statue ($25.99) and Woody's Roundup ($54.99)

Mind you these are TRU prices, which tend to be higher than actual MSRP. Take for instance the TIE Defender set. TRU Price: $54.99, actual MSRP: I would guess to be $49.99. Still, with the markup in mind, one has to wonder how much more fleecing the fan base can take. With what we had to endure from the outrageously, and I mean OUTRAGEOUSLY, and you know I'm being deadly serious when I use caps, overpriced MINIFIG packs that were this year's San Diego Comic Con exclusives, I guess LFL and TLG are expecting everyone to just bend over for next year's assortment.

This is getting ridiculous.

My only hope is that the LEGO Toy Story release is a lot closer to something called reasonable. When Woody's Roundup was exposed at TRU.com for $49.99, it later rose to $54.99, leading one to believe that the first price tag was actual MSRP. And for just over 500 pieces, 3 minifigs and Bullseye, it really hit the sweet spot, something the LEGO Star Wars line has been lacking for a long time. As soon as more real data becomes available, it would be interesting to see which would be the better value for the money. But I'm placing my bets on Toy Story.

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2009/12/11/not-looking-good/
Staff

Re: Not Looking Good...

Postby bigospedros » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:28 am

still cheaper than UK ... ;)

but let's not start that debate again! :cool:
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Plo » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:10 am

i dont like the prices but for the past 4 years i have been buying my lego sets with a $2.50 allowance each week and just recently i got a paper route and now i get $33 a week XD
I have NO idea what your talking about...but it sure sounds cool
Plo

Postby Drock » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:25 am

thanks for the prices. I haven't been impressed by the lineup this (okay, next) year. This pretty much seals the deal that I won't be buying many (if any). :S
Drock

Postby yellowcastle » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:50 am

Personally, I didn't think the price points for these licensed sets were all too surprising. The $59.99 Arc was in line with what we've seen with Anakin's Y-Wing. And the Arc does look great and you get 4 nice figs. XD I was really only shocked recently with the Tie Defender and Indiana Jones Airplane Fight at $49.99 ($54.99 at TRU). The recent battlepacks (Rebel, Snow Trooper, Indy Ambush) are really great so I was ok with $10.99 ($12.99 TRU). And I guess I'm willing to take a little punishment on these prices as long as TLG continues to give me sets like the Green Grocer, Tantive IV, Medieval Market, Shanghai Chase, Creator Houses, etc. XD
yellowcastle

Postby liquidcross » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:58 am

Ouch. $30 for a speeder? :(
(and don't forget Text and Violence)
liquidcross

Postby Pepa Quin » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:05 am

Slight correction here:
Toy Story's RC was 22.99, and the Buzz statue was 26.99

Also I think it's worth noting that the Attack Shuttle with Mace Windu that came out earlier in the year is also $64.99 (it was right next to the new ARC on the shelf last night, too). THAT has a piece count of 636 or so - a far more reasonable price (It's also a very nice set overall, I highly recommend it).

Speaking of $64.99, there was about 8-10 feet of shelf space at the store for Count Dooku's Solar Sailor, an older set which has a comparable piece count to the new ARC-170. They're obviously having a hard time moving that set - this tells me that even the average consumer can tell a bad deal when they see it.
"Stupid is a condition. Ignorance is a choice." - Wiley Miller
Flickr | Bricklink
Pepa Quin

Postby Andi » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:09 am

Well, if the set is it really worth, if it looks really great, has some nice figs, has the charme of the older SW sets, then... ok...

I guess it is still cheaper than to boycott, but regretting it later and having to pay second market prices
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby Swoosh Factor » Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:54 am

While I haven't been paying much attention to piece counts and the like for the new sets, I can honestly say that I thought the Freeco speeder was going to be a battlepack type set. $30?!? :shock:
Swoosh Factor

Postby Pepa Quin » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:03 am

Andi wrote:I guess it is still cheaper than to boycott, but regretting it later and having to pay second market prices

That's the thing, Andi. Up until this year, I bought every single SW Lego set. But starting with the Dooku set, I've stopped that. Maybe if I find one of these on clearance, and I mean 40% off or better, I'll get it. But I just don't feel the need to spend my money on such a disproportionate price, and I know that 2-3 years down the road I will not regret it.
"Stupid is a condition. Ignorance is a choice." - Wiley Miller
Flickr | Bricklink
Pepa Quin

Postby liquidcross » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:28 am

I'll just wait until these show up at Borders, then use a 30-40% off coupon to nab them. That'll make things much more tolerable.
(and don't forget Text and Violence)
liquidcross

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:34 am

I find those prices laughable, and the selection not very compelling anyway. I've aleady got an ARC (for a REASONABLE price) and could care less about the Freeco or the TIE, even if they cost less. Bright side, TLG is saving me a bunch of money with this line-up of sets and those prices, because I can happily pass on all of them with a certainty that I will not regret it down the line. (I'll probably get the battle packs when I find them on sale.)
Mister Ed

Postby bigj22 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:36 am

I just bought the ARC 170 (64.99) , Rebel Troopere Battle Pack (12.99), and Snowtrooper Battle Pack (12.99) at my Toysrus in Erie, Pa. today. ATAT DRIVER is freaking awesome. Nice job on the helmet.
bigj22

Postby fredjh » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:39 am

Sorry, TLG, I'll wait for sales and coupons.
fredjh

Postby ktonlai » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:33 am

old ARC-170 starfighter FTW!

best looking ship in the star wars universe IMO
ktonlai

Postby GIR3691 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:40 am

I disagree entirely.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby SWLegoFanatic » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:41 am

Yea - I hope they don't cut their own throats with these prices...SW Lego is their best selling line. This year was a very expensive year. It seems like this was the heaviest year as far as set count (that I can remember) since I've been collecting them. In any event, I'll probably only be getting the TIE Defender and multiples of the battle packs. Looks like the first half of '10 will be cheap for me ;-).

As for the current sets, I don't know about anyone else, but the $55 price point for the Dooku Solar Sailor seems very overpriced to me, as did the $150 Tantive IV price. However, the piece count -> price ratio was about right ($10 for every 100 pieces) for the Tantive IV. I actually got it for about $120 shipped from the Star Wars Shop during their 25% sale, so it wasn't too bad.
SWLegoFanatic

Postby banthafodder » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:40 am

Is it me or does TLG have a new marketing strategy which started last year? It seems that at introduction the prices have been significantly steeper than in the past (nothing anyone here does not know). But, to me, it seems like we have had more sales than in past years. These sales appear several months after initial releases to a more reasonable price. Is the new strategy to capitalize on those who have to buy the sets right away, thus maximizing profits, and then bring them down to a reasonable level once the initial wave of buyers cools down, or do we just rack these sales up to the poor economy. Looking at the increases again in the 2010 sets I am more inclined to believe the former.
banthafodder

Postby onions » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:44 am

compared to other retail outlets, such as tru, target, walmart, amazon, etc, there have been significantly less sales from shop@home. tlg doesn't control what promotions or sales their vendors offer.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby bigospedros » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:47 pm

on the plus side, the USA still gets lots of rather amazing discounts if you can wait a while before buying the sets!

like always, I will wait for a sale on the new sets ... this means I don't have to pay the RRPs.
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Next

Return to Star Wars