Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

FBTB Parts Drafts: General Discussion

Discussion about front-page features and commentary from FBTB.net. Only forum staff can start topics here, but anyone can reply!

Re: FBTB *Parts Draft*?

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:11 pm

I think a Jambalaya would be better. Just because everyone gets what they want.
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby MisterFubar » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:05 am

I've never been a part of a parts draft, in fact I'm having a hard time even finding any other AFOLs or a LUG in my area.

That said, I would love to join in on this, be it a parts draft or a jambalayayaya.
MisterFubar

Re: Proposal: FBTB Parts Draft

Postby Bubblyhai » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:30 pm

For the jambalayayaya would it be the same set that everyone is taking and adding to? And how do you rate the vaule of the pieces?
Bubblyhai

Postby Chief » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:17 am

The jambalaya is Person A sending out a bag of mixed parts they have hand-selected. Rare, fun, interesting. This ain't no bag of basic brick. Person A sends to Person B. Person B takes the parts they want out of the bag, and replaces the empty space they've created with parts of their own choosing.Person B sends to Person C, who does the same thing, until it finally gets back to Person A, who should have a completely different bag of parts than he/she sent out. The end!
Chief

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:46 am

Chief wrote:The jambalaya is Person A sending out a bag of mixed parts they have hand-selected. Rare, fun, interesting. This ain't no bag of basic brick. Person A sends to Person B. Person B takes the parts they want out of the bag, and replaces the empty space they've created with parts of their own choosing.Person B sends to Person C, who does the same thing, until it finally gets back to Person A, who should have a completely different bag of parts than he/she sent out. The end!

That's why Jambalaya is best! Any plans for one in the near future?
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby Chief » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:28 am

We just got the parts draft organized, how about we wait a little bit before jumping to the next thing? ;)
Chief

Postby Bubblyhai » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:32 am

How do you know which pieces are rare?
Bubblyhai

Postby Chief » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:04 pm

Ostriches = rare. This is the first set they've been in.

Look: figuring out every single part's rarity isn't something I'm going to do. I'm already going to be putting way more work into sorting and breaking down lots than would be done in a normal draft. When you buy into a draft you go in knowing there are certain risks: when names are drawn, someone has to go last. Minifigs will probably go fast. New parts will probably go fast. I'm going to do everything I can to make the participants feel like they got a fair deal, but I can't satisfy everyone.
Chief

Postby onions » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:53 pm

Chief wrote:Ostriches = rare. This is the first set they've been in.

and as far as i know, the last set they'll ever be in.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Daz Hoo » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:33 am

Chief wrote:When you buy into a draft you go in knowing there are certain risks: when names are drawn, someone has to go last. Minifigs will probably go fast. New parts will probably go fast. I'm going to do everything I can to make the participants feel like they got a fair deal, but I can't satisfy everyone.

Well, I think you and Ace can say "Mission accomplished" because I was the unfortunate last one, and I'm quite happy with the whole experience!
Daz Hoo

Postby Daz Hoo » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:38 pm

I just wanted to put that idea out there before we all forget:

Someone mentioned last night that, for the next draft, Atlantis sets should be considered. I would like to second that idea, as those sets do offer a very nice selection of different parts, much like the PoP sets.
Daz Hoo

Postby Bubblyhai » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:09 pm

Oh... atlantist sounds yummy
Bubblyhai

Postby Jargon » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:04 pm

I know we've all thanked Chief and onions, but I just wanted to give a shout-out to Inzane for getting the ball rolling. Way to go, dude! :D
Jargon

Postby Inzane » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:24 pm

Aw shucks... :x

Thanks. I was glad I could contribute something to this site.
Inzane

Re: FBTB Parts Drafts: General Discussion

Postby Chief » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:41 am

So.... I'm thinking either we don't have a lot of Europeans on the site, or paying $20 for shipping and handling for a $15 set is really deterring some people.

If we don't have at least 5 *previously registered* members by 8 pm GMT (12pm PST), I'm cutting it off with the number we have and going North American (who will be getting a much better deal postage-wise.) It really never made sense to do a draft from US->Europe anyways because of the postage but I thought I would give it a try.

If we do it in Europe in the future, it will have to be performed locally by someone in a country over there.
Chief

Postby buriedbybricks » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:07 pm

I'm surprised so few folks are interested in this. If it wasn't going to be on European time i'd be there for sure, but I usually work weekends... except next Sunday :)
buriedbybricks

Postby Chief » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:17 am

Just wanted to express to at least 3 of you who mentioned wanting to participate but let other people have a chance: your gesture is noted and appreciated. I never said anything in the rules about not letting people to do it again, but you guys were selfless and let others have their opportunity. Thank you. You're part of why I love this community.
Chief

Postby Lazerblade » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:27 am

I am replying to meeotch's post.

meeotch wrote:I find the idea of doing a strictly online draft quite fascinating. Of course, there are some logistical issues to consider for this type of draft when compared to one done where everyone is physically present. The first draft I ever participated in occurred where one member of my LUG couldn't be present, so he drafted via Skype, which was pretty interesting. The biggest issue was that he wasn't aware in the same way that the rest of us were which items had been selected all ready, so all the later turns he had to ask, "Are the x pieces still there?" He did have an inventory pulled up on his computer, but he couldn't really remember some of the earlier selections. I think the best way to address this would be if everyone had an inventory in their possession, preferably printed, so that items could be crossed off as they are selected.

The other issue might be a limit on Skype's ability to connect enough people through a party line. I've only used Skype once and it was one-on-one, so I don't know if it's still an issue, but the last that I had heard, Skype had a limit on connecting I think 6 people together in a conference call. A chat room would add more time to a draft (and in person, they take our LUG at least a half hour to draft, not counting the sort) because of all the typed communication, and I don't even want to think about how many weeks it would take to happen via the forum, though it could be a really fun interesting experience, like playing chess via the mail.

I would use tinychat. You can get up to 9 people cam chatting (or voice chatting) at one time. Not sure if this has been all sorted out already, but I thought I would mention it. :D

This sounds great. Just saw this today, and missed out on the second draft going on. :x I will have to keep myself updated next time.
Lazerblade

Postby Jabba the Taff » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:20 am

Chief wrote:So.... I'm thinking either we don't have a lot of Europeans on the site, or paying $20 for shipping and handling for a $15 set is really deterring some people.

If we don't have at least 5 *previously registered* members by 8 pm GMT (12pm PST), I'm cutting it off with the number we have and going North American (who will be getting a much better deal postage-wise.) It really never made sense to do a draft from US->Europe anyways because of the postage but I thought I would give it a try.

If we do it in Europe in the future, it will have to be performed locally by someone in a country over there.

As a European, I'd just like to say thanks for thinking of us. And sorry to let you down! It wasn't the price at all, for me at least, a parts draft is just something I'm not interested in doing at the current time. I just collect and have a noodle with the parts I have.
Jabba the Taff

Postby Chief » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:17 am

Thanks for the continued feedback, everyone.

I think for the next draft we'll try something new yet again. Someone might have suggested it already and I just don't remember it, but based on how much work goes into figuring out everyone's schedule and finding the one magical time everyone can do it, and based on the added step of proxy drafting, next time we're doing it different.

Just like a LUG meeting, there will be a set time for the draft that will be posted when the draft is announced, and participants sign up only if they can attend the draft at the announced time. Of course there may be extenuating circumstances that keep someone from showing up the draft they agree to attend, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

I'm not calling for the rejection of any proxy members from here on, I just want to see how this works with 10 present participants for at least one draft. This isn't an attack on the at least one person who will be proxy drafting this time or the one who did it last time. We're still experimenting here.
Chief

PreviousNext

Return to Community Features