Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[USA] Target Clearance - Wal-Mart Soon?

Post your sales news here. Open forum. No Special Access Required!

Re: [USA] Target Clearance - Wal-Mart Soon?

Postby thepatient » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:20 am

The Brain wrote:See, every Target I've ever been to has never had red clearance stickers or different price tags from the usual Target price unless there's been an advertised sale. I've also never seen any LEGO in the clearance sections at the end of the aisles. I guess scanning them would be the best idea--I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for a price scanner next time. Thanks all.

Sounds like the Target you go to is very different from the one I go to. There are no price stickers on regular priced items or when they are involved in an advertised sale. The only time a pricing sticker goes on it is when it goes on clearance . It will be red, small, with the clearance price in black (sometimes within a white stripe). Its is (pretty much) always in the top right-hand corner on the front of the box.

Always check the scan to make sure. This is the time of year when older sets go on clearance, I can almost set my calender by it. They want to make room for the new sets making their way in for the end of July and the start of August. Starting at the beginning of July, I make sure I have an excuse to check out Target on Sundays when the weekly sale cycle starts. Once in a while I get some crazy deals- once I got the 7905 Tower Crane which was on clearance for $25.00, but when I scanned it- it was $12.50. That was a deal breaker for me since it was over $50.00 at SRP. I originally didn't think about getting it, but it turned out to be one of my favorite sets. Always try to do some double checking. You never know what things will come up as.

Sometimes, there is a mistake when an item is shipped to a store. The Midi-scale MF showed up at my Target ( which I believe is a Wal-mart exclusive) and my Brother-in-law got it and it was priced at $10.00. :shock:

Oh and always check after Chistmas and into the end of January. Clearance on LEGO tends to happen then too.
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Postby Thundarr » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:43 am

thepatient wrote: ...Always check the scan to make sure. This is the time of year when older sets go on clearance, I can almost set my calender by it. They want to make room for the new sets making their way in for the end of July and the start of August. Starting at the beginning of July, I make sure I have an excuse to check out Target on Sundays when the weekly sale cycle starts. ....

Do you know if that markdown schedule applies to all Targets now? I thought some stores did toys on Wednesdays or Thursdays.

thepatient wrote: Sometimes, there is a mistake when an item is shipped to a store. The Midi-scale MF showed up at my Target ( which I believe is a Wal-mart exclusive) and my Brother-in-law got it and it was priced at $10.00. :shock:

That sounds more like someone (like an unknowing grandparent) did a receipt-less return, and Target took it back even though it was not in their system. Since it wasn't in their system and they didn't know how much to charge, they just assigned it an arbitrary price. If that is the case then the person who initially returned it got screwed and were only given a $10 gift card for it. I saw something similar happen a few years ago at a Seattle TRU - someone's grandma had returned a sealed vintage Legoland Space set there, which still had the 70's orange TRU price tag on it. It wasn't in their system anymore, obviously, so TRU gave her a gift card for that price, which she was happy to get in order to buy something else for her grandkid. Very odd, indeed. TRU just left the old price tag on it and let me buy it for that vintage price!
Thundarr

Postby The Brain » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:00 pm

thepatient wrote:Sounds like the Target you go to is very different from the one I go to. There are no price stickers on regular priced items or when they are involved in an advertised sale. The only time a pricing sticker goes on it is when it goes on clearance . It will be red, small, with the clearance price in black (sometimes within a white stripe). Its is (pretty much) always in the top right-hand corner on the front of the box.

I think you misinterpreted me somewhat--I don't mean to say there are price stickers on the boxes themselves, but on the shelves in the aisle for the designated set; for sales, they have a little slip of paper or sticker near the price advertising the sale. I have never, however, seen a red clearance sticker (or any other sticker, for that matter) on a LEGO set at either my local Target, or any of the several I've stopped at when I've head towards Sacramento from the SF Bay area.

I'm just going to keep my eye out for price scanners, and cover all of my bases. :)
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby onions » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:22 pm

i never see the clearance tag either. they usually just move the clearance stuff away to the endcaps or the clearance aisle and rarely put the tags on the shelves.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby SH1 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:12 pm

just got back from my local target, and the LEGO clearance items were thin: Ben 10 and a Duplo set at 30% off. All had clearance price stickers, which look a bit different (red border) than normal stickers.
SH1

Postby thepatient » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:43 pm

Then it sounds that there is no MSRP pricing sticker on the box just like at the Target I go to. And advertised sales... that sounds the same. That's where the similarities end though. It is strange that even though the three of us are in California (onions,brain and myself) there is that much difference between the high desert, the LA basin and the Bay area/Nothern Cal.

My Target never puts clearance on the endcap at least not in the toy section. That's always reserved for "highlighted" items. Its not necessarily advertised sales, mostly new items in before they join the others on the main shelf. Even advertised sales stay with the rest of the pack. Usually the shelf tag/sign just says "Clearence Item", but no price. That's where the sticker comes in. There are at four Targets within 15 miles of my house, but one is about 1/4 mile from my house. So admitedly, that's preety much the only Target i go too. It is the oldest one in my area, it's been here at least 18-20 years. All the rest were built in the last 5 years.

So, apparently there are variations from store to store. Well...I tried. Beyond that I don't know what else to say.
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Postby Morgan19 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:56 pm

It's definintely a store-by-store thing here... One by me tonight had a bunch of stuff clearanced (inluding the Star Wars pirate tank, some SPIII, Power Miners, Bionicle, Duplo, and Ben10) with the red clerance tags on-box, while the second had everything full price and no mention of clearance (either box or shelf tags) at all. I did finally track down those Atlantis octopus polybags, though.

No sales at two different WalMarts at all.

m19
Morgan19

Postby thepatient » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:24 pm

I'm glad others have seen the red clearance stickers, was waiting for a "pictures or it didn't happen" from onions. I hate doing homework.
<O> <O>
thepatient

Postby vynsane » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:42 pm

Yeah, I saw some 'Hyperspace Pursuit' and 'Galactic Enforcer' sets at Target with red stickers today.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Brickset reviews
vynsane

Postby Alpha 40 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:13 pm

As I said elsewhere, I have had no luck with this sale and even in previous sales i have never seen the shelves marked. I didn't find out it was on sale until I scan my items.
Alpha 40

Postby schlectus » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:28 pm

Hyena Droids at a Denver Target for 13.85, with red clearance stickers. 2 other Targets and 2 Walmarts netted an additional grand total of...nothing. Props go the service desk lady at the Hyena Target...I walked up with an Echo Base and told her about the previous $15 sale, and that I didn't bother to get a rain check when they ran out. She called up the manager, and they let me have it at the old sale price.
My Bricklink store: Pyramid Deliveries
schlectus

Postby etcknight » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:19 pm

30% off for Inland Empire Targets as of yesterday - 07-12
etcknight

Postby etcknight » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:20 pm

schlectus wrote:Hyena Droids at a Denver Target for 13.85, with red clearance stickers. 2 other Targets and 2 Walmarts netted an additional grand total of...nothing. Props go the service desk lady at the Hyena Target...I walked up with an Echo Base and told her about the previous $15 sale, and that I didn't bother to get a rain check when they ran out. She called up the manager, and they let me have it at the old sale price.

Wow, nice! XD
etcknight

Postby The Brain » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:42 pm

So slightly off topic here...I may be going back to a Target sometime this week, and hopefully I can locate a Pirate Tank. Do you guys recommend I really try to buy the set if it's at clearance price? It seems like a good deal for that price point, but I haven't heard much about the set itself. Can anyone vouch for its coolness?
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby Gooker1 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:54 pm

etcknight wrote:30% off for Inland Empire Targets as of yesterday - 07-12

Find anything good? AKA Star Wars stuff? :)
Gooker1

Postby onions » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:23 pm

The pirate tank is a pretty nice set. If you have a soft spot for minifigs, you should try and pick this up as the pirates are really well done. other than that it's a nice brown parts pack. not too bad at regular price either but if you can find it at discount, it's a no brainer for me.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby etcknight » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:57 pm

Gooker1 wrote:Find anything good? AKA Star Wars stuff? :)

Saw one Y-wing, two Venators, can't remember what else. Only 30% off though. Hoping to wait for 50% off. We'll see if anything is left over.
etcknight

Re: Target clearance

Postby MisterFubar » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:37 pm

Checked back at the Olathe KS Target at 151st and they had a couple Battle of Endors, a bunch of Pirate Tanks Y-wings, and all of the PoP sets at 50% off. Don't go in there and expect to find any more Battle of Endors. XD
MisterFubar

Re: Target clearance

Postby Mofo Jones » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:58 pm

MisterFubar wrote:Checked back at the Olathe KS Target at 151st and they had a couple Battle of Endors, a bunch of Pirate Tanks Y-wings, and all of the PoP sets at 50% off. Don't go in there and expect to find any more Battle of Endors. XD

And I was going to start driving right now, too! Thanks for the warning. XD. 50% off of Endor is an absolute bargain. I got mine for $70 (had a discount with a nearby LEGO store for volunteering to help with an event) and I was thrilled to get that price. Tantive IV for $105 was a good buy as well. :)
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby 316danny » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:46 pm

Went to check on this tip at the Cary Crossroads location in North Carolina today.

No Indiana Jones in stock. No Prince of Persia marked down. Endor Battle kits were still full price. One tiny turbo kit was 50% off. There was an empty spot for a large set that was out of stock (perhaps the construction site?) - there are two more now that I bought the last one of both 8964 ($70) and 7642($70).

The only medium-sized sale item was 5973 at $35 - I bought the last one. There was one more 5974 at $70 after I bought mine, though.

I haven't checked the other locations yet (may check Apex and Raleigh/Brier Creek soon), but I do know that the Power Miners stuff was clearance-d out at the south Raleigh location last December.
316danny

PreviousNext

Return to Finds/Deals