LEGO is pulling the wraps off of their newest direct-to-consumer set, 70840 Welcome to Apocalypseburg!. One of the main features of this set that the press release is touting is an “epic 360-degree play experience”. And true to their word, it really does look like there are little vignettes built all around the fallen Statue of Liberty bust. There are 12 “new for January 2019” minifigures to populate Apocalypseburg. Yes, the press release states “new for January 2019”. The choice of wording is a bit strange because it implies that all of the minifigures will be available at a later date in some other set. That defies logic since LEGO likes to keep exclusive minifigs exclusive as an incentive for customers to buy a set.
Anyway, I’m not here to pontificate on their word choice, let’s talk more about the set. We catch a glimpse of Apocalypseburg in the trailer, and what life has become since the events of the first LEGO movie. It’s not pretty. And while I have no doubt that the town is vast and much larger than 70840 Welcome to Apocalypseburg! can capture, I think the designers did a great job using the Statue of Liberty as the focal point to build around. It’s iconic, recognizable, and immediately puts into context everything else around it.
This is a bit of a shorter reveal period than normal. Officially unveiled today, 70840 Welcome to Apocalypseburg goes on sale on Wednesday January 16th, 2019 at LEGO Shop@Home and Brand Retail locations. The price? 300 big ones: $299.99 US / $399.99 CA. For that amount of coin you do get 3,178 pieces. I’ll let you do the math.
Every LEGO movie has that one flagship set. This is that set for The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part.
70840 Welcome To Apocalypseburg! Official Set Pictures
70840 Welcome to Apocalypseburg! Official Press Release
70840 Welcome to Apocalypseburg!
Ages 16+. 3,178 pieces
US $299.99 – CA $399.99 – DE €299.99 – UK £279.99 – FR €299.99 – DK 2,499DKK
*Euro pricing varies by country. Please visit shop.LEGO.com for regional pricing.
Build and role-play with this huge THE LEGO® MOVIE 2™ Apocalypseburg model!
Enjoy an epic 360-degree play experience—and prepare for an alien invasion—with THE LEGO® MOVIE 2™ 70840 Welcome to Apocalypseburg! construction toy. An advanced building set, it has over 3,000 pieces and presents an awesome challenge even for master builders. This THE LEGO MOVIE 2 set features a section of the Statue of Liberty with a chill-out room in the head, café, Scribble Cop’s office with a chair-kicking function, armory, barber’s/tattoo parlor, Lucy’s hideout, Fuse’s workshop, rooftop diner, gym, spa, lookout platforms and loads more! This action-packed toy also comes with 12 THE LEGO MOVIE 2 minifigures to role-play and reimagine your favorite scenes from the blockbuster film.
- This creative toy includes 12 new-for-January-2019 THE LEGO® MOVIE 2™ minifigures: Emmet, Lucy, Batman™, Scribble Cop, Harley Quinn™, Green Lantern™, ’Where are my pants?’ Guy, Larry the Barista, Chainsaw Dave, Mo-Hawk, Roxxi and Fuse, plus a rat figure.
- This huge Apocalypseburg construction toy has removable modules for easy play and features a section of the Statue of Liberty, café, Scribble Cop’s office, armory, barber’s/tattoo parlor, Lucy’s hideout, Fuse’s workshop, rooftop diner, gym, spa and more!
- The Statue of Liberty section of this THE LEGO® MOVIE 2™ playset features a buildable torch, opening Lady Liberty head with a chill-out room including a buildable telescope, and 3 lookout platforms.
- The Coffee Unchained café features a service counter, cash register, buildable coffee machine with 2 coffee pumps, table and seat, and an outdoor table with a parasol and 2 seats.
- Scribble Cop’s office features an opening jail door and chair-kicking function.
- Armory features a mannequin, goggles, 3 minifigure helmet elements and 2 buildable weapons.
- Barber’s/tattoo parlor features a barber’s chair, buildable tattoo machine and hair-cutting tool elements.
- Lucy’s hideout features a buildable bed with a secret compartment containing various fun elements including a love letter from Batman™. The room also features weapon storage and assorted elements including new-for-January-2019 barbed wire.
- The removable roof of Lucy’s hideout has a buildable seat, engine truck front and water tower.
- Fuse’s rooftop workshop features a buildable tool chest with a buildable fire extinguisher.
- Rooftop diner features a buildable V8 engine deep-fat fryer, table, oven, ketchup and mustard dispensers, plus frying pan and food elements.
- Train-carriage-shaped gym features a buildable punching bag with alien invader decoration and a weightlifting bench.
- Truck-shaped spa features a buildable hot tub and shower.
- This THE LEGO® MOVIE 2™ toy building set also includes Chainsaw Dave’s surfboard rack with 2 surfboards, lookout area with a buildable telescope, an opening sewer and various ladders.
- Weapons for THE LEGO® MOVIE 2™ characters include Lucy’s crossbow.
- Accessory elements include Emmet’s 2 coffee mugs, Lucy’s quiver, plus 6 new-for-January-2019 Skeletron head elements (1 as a basketball; 1 on a signpost; 1 as engine decoration; 2 as hair mannequins; and 1 on the armory mannequin).
- Recreate fun-packed scenes from THE LEGO® MOVIE 2™ with this awesome Statue of Liberty toy.
- This new-for-January-2019 toy measures over 20” (52cm) high, 19” (49cm) wide and 12” (33cm) deep.
Available directly from LEGO
Stores & shop.LEGO.com from
Wednesday 16th January, 2019
US Contact Center 1-800-453-4652
CA (English) Contact Center 1-800-453-4652
CA (French) Contact Center 1-877-518-5346
European Contact Center 00-800-5346-1111