Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

7879 Hoth Echo Base

Post your sales news here. Open forum. No Special Access Required!

7879 Hoth Echo Base

Postby Staff » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:41 pm

7879 Boxed

7879 Echo Base

Eurobricks member Supersonic discovered a new set on the German LEGO Star Wars site. That's right. We're getting an Echo Base set... again!

Here's a translation courtesy of Babel Fish:
Ready the attack! The Imperial troops discovered and prepare to attack the secret Rebel base on the ice planet Hoth. Han Solo, Chewbacca and Princess Leia are ready to defend the base, while Luke Skywalker is treated in the Bacta tank by the medical droid 2-1B. Also includes R-3PO and two Snowtrooper minifigures, base with Tauntaun stable and Tauntaun, functioning crane, two radar dishes, case of ice ice trap (thanks Oky Wan Kenobi) and Speeder Bike.

The box says limited edition, so it'll probably be an exclusive. It's a step above anything we've gotten before, but I still wish it had an Ion Cannon. I mean, COME ON!

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2011/06/01/7879-hoth-echo-base/
Staff

Re: 7879 Hoth Echo Base

Postby SDIronClaw » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:38 pm

I really like this set and will be buying it once it comes out. I too agree, should have included an Ion Cannon. Great set though....now I just need to find a used 7666 to buy.
"I find your lack of Lego disturbing."
SDIronClaw

Postby Brainslugged » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:45 pm

My first instinct was "wow", but on further inspection, other than the bacta tank and a red protocol droid it looks like a bunch of junk.
Brainslugged

Postby onions » Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:59 pm

you also get 2-1B, and new luke figure with the new hair piece. and... and... a speederbike.....

yeah, i got nothin else.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Mofo Jones » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:24 pm

If you look in the lower left corner of the picture, they have the "danger" sign that threepio tore off of the wampa pen door in the infamous deleted scene. Thus, you can get a few more Wampas and wait for that pack of Snowtroopers to come along. This set isn't much by itself, but put it into a Hoth setup and it will do well. I agree that LEGO needs to make an ion cannon.

And it looks better than some of the other sets that are out this year.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby banthafodder » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:44 pm

We have had sooooo many Hoth incarnations over the last few years, and while I m thankful for a Wampa and a taun-taun, I agree with the others; How about an ion cannon and shield generator? We could then finally close out this planet, ....for now.
banthafodder

Postby Brainslugged » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:50 pm

The real problem I have is that if you take the figures out, and maybe the bacta tank, there'd be no way to tell it was a Star Wars set.
Brainslugged

Postby darth_fett » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:03 pm

WTH is a case of ice? what kind of accessory is that? I'm just gonna bricklink that 21-B cos i love that droid, and the color is cool. oh and the red 3po too. I'm also sick of the 5th iteration of the speeder bike. has any other set had more variations?! I seriously doubt lego could pull off a decent looking ion cannon in a set; it'd take 3 or 4 releases of it to get it dead-on.
darth_fett

Postby Mister Ed » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:14 pm

Even though I do think this looks kind of cool, I'm DEFINITELY not going to be nearly as bummed that I will never be able to afford it as I was about not being able to get the Endor set. (It was just PAINFUL to read all those reports of the Endor set on clearance at Walmart. My local Walmarts NEVER seem to have ANY of the LEGO on clearance that is reported elsewhere. Or really ANY LEGO on clearance at all, despite my constant, foolish hopes dragging me down there each time a new, cool set is reported as being on clearance there.)
Mister Ed

Postby Walter Boy » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:24 pm

Yeah, no way can I afford this set. I am however, glad to see some new minifigures. Especially R-3P0! It's always nice to see a new protocol droid minifigure.
Walter Boy

Postby SDIronClaw » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:22 pm

Mister Ed wrote:Even though I do think this looks kind of cool, I'm DEFINITELY not going to be nearly as bummed that I will never be able to afford it as I was about not being able to get the Endor set. (It was just PAINFUL to read all those reports of the Endor set on clearance at Walmart. My local Walmarts NEVER seem to have ANY of the LEGO on clearance that is reported elsewhere. Or really ANY LEGO on clearance at all, despite my constant, foolish hopes dragging me down there each time a new, cool set is reported as being on clearance there.)

Don't feel bad man, I could not find any either. I did buy an extra one at full price, but it would have been nice to get one for under $50.00, like some guys did.
"I find your lack of Lego disturbing."
SDIronClaw

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:29 pm

It's not "case of ice", it's "ice trap" which probably refers to the icicles which drop crates on intruders when pushed. ;)

And yeah, it needs the "giant boob nipple gun". XD
Oky Wan Kenobi

Postby ufjason » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:31 pm

It does have an ion cannon. If you look at the bottom left, it's small and not to scale but if you put it farther away in the background, it creates an optical illusion that makes it look alright. They should have done the same with the shield generators though.
Last edited by ufjason on Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eBay store, contact me if you'd like to perform trades from my inventory. I'm looking for original genosian fighers, second version a-wing fighters and tie bombers. I may be interested in other sets so let me know what you have.
ufjason

Postby Andi » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:42 am

It would fit perfectly to 7666. Actually I like the idea of getting smaller sets which you then can put together to a huge Hoth scene.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby Mister Ed » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:54 am

Andi wrote:It would fit perfectly to 7666. Actually I like the idea of getting smaller sets which you then can put together to a huge Hoth scene.

I like that idea, too. Of course, I don't consider either of those particular sets "smaller". It would be neat, though, if something like the Endor set had been marketed as several smaller components. Like they used to do with the mini sets, they could have had extra pieces in each one so that some part of the scene could only be built if you collected them all, but those with a more modest budget could still pick and choose a few key pieces for their collection...
Mister Ed

Postby michealwillard » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:44 am

This kind of reminds me of the seemingly random playsets that micro machines used to do. You have a lot of playable features, but they weren't really in the movie. The Wampa sign is a nice easter egg. I agree this makes a good addition to the existing sets, it fleshes out the interior at least. However, I would really like to have an ion cannon and shield generator. Perhaps those are next year's hoth base sets?
michealwillard

Postby MrCRskater » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:06 pm

While I do like all of the components of this set, it is not at all what I expected. As everyone else, I thought it would include the shield generator and/or the planetary ion cannon. Kinda bummed that it doesn't feature either, especially when both could have been VERY cool play features. Of course, the ion cannon goes hand-in-hand with spring-loaded missiles. And surely they could have engineered an exploding shield generator a la Endor bunker. Sorely missed opportunities if you ask me.

It's also disappointing that, as an interior playscene, it doesn't resemble the movie Echo Base in any way, shape, or form. Brainslugged nailed it when he said that without the figs, it's unrecognizable as a Star Wars entity. Kinda makes you wonder where they got their inspiration (and approval) for this set.
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby cas » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:36 pm

MrCRskater wrote:It's also disappointing that, as an interior playscene, it doesn't resemble the movie Echo Base in any way, shape, or form. Brainslugged nailed it when he said that without the figs, it's unrecognizable as a Star Wars entity. Kinda makes you wonder where they got their inspiration (and approval) for this set.

This is what I've been thinking. At least other playsets, like Home One and Jabba's Palace, had recognizable structures and features. This is a jumbled mess. The bacta tank is the only element of the set that makes sense. It's passable as maybe a first or second draft. Lego, try again, please (and I don't mean release this set, then in 2 years release yet another Hoth-centric set with minor improvements addressing a few complaints). I want to reiterate: this set is a mess.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby darth_fett » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:30 am

It does have an ion cannon. If you look at the bottom left, it's small and not to scale but if you put it farther away in the background, it creates an optical illusion that makes it look alright.

Actually my impression of what that is: isn't that the radar dish thing that they fire (ineffectually) at the approaching AT-AT legs? The blue flick-fire missiles are the closest approximation that I can think of in this set that is supposed to be the "ion cannon". I do <3 the bacta tank though. I've always wanted an official bikini Luke in bacta playset. This should have come with a wampa imho. And a white protocol droid. I distinctly remember there being a white 3PO on Hoth, not sure about a red one?
darth_fett

Postby bluishgrey » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:39 am

This looks like something from Agents or Space Police. If there was ever any doubt that Lego is a kid's toy, this removes it. Another new SW set with lazy design, relying on a few exclusive figs to sell it. C'mon Lego....
bluishgrey

Next

Return to Finds/Deals