Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

BOTHCON 2011: Fan Display

Discussion about front-page features and commentary from FBTB.net. Only forum staff can start topics here, but anyone can reply!

BOTHCON 2011: Fan Display

Postby onions » Mon May 16, 2011 1:03 am

BOTHCON2011

Star Wars Days is right around the corner (June 18 and 19) and we've been busy making plans on our second mini-convention: Bothcon 2011 (pronounced [bawth-kon]). There are two ways you can be involved with the festivities whether you are planning on visiting LEGOLAND that weekend or not.

Fan Display: We would like to have FBTB have a strong showing of MOCs from you, our community members, for the Fan Display. I dropped a few hints in the past about hanging on to your MOCs you built for our past three contests, and this is why. If you have your MOCs still built from our Chibi Fighter contest, the Podracer contest, and the Hybridfighter contest, or if you'd like to build something new to contribute, we would love to have them on display for everyone to see. You'll have to mail your MOC in and all MOCs must be received before June 18th (obviously). You pay for postage to mail it in, we'll pay for postage to mail everything back. All those participating will also get something for their efforts. Last year's participants got a White Boba Fett in their goody bags. No telling what you'll get this year.

Bothcon 2011: We plan on having a small meet and greet, a few building contests, and a goody bag that will blow your socks off. Space is extremely limited and there will be a registration fee involved. We're still working out the details but we'll have more information posted tomorrow night.

Interested? Hit the comments link below and let us know!
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2011/05/16/bothcon-2011/
onions
Damp Noodle

Re: Reserved

Postby onions » Mon May 16, 2011 1:04 am

Fan Display Details:

As the post says, we'd like to display MOCs from our previous three contests: Chibi Fighter, Podracer, and Hybridfighter.

What you have to do: post here and express your interest in having your MOC on display and from which contest theme your MOC is from. Even if you didn't particpate in the contest and want to display your MOC that's okay too. We'll start up a list and send PM's with the mailing address. You'll have to pack your MOC very carefully. Use Saran Wrap if you have to. The mail doesn't treat LEGO models very kindly, and we're not going to be able to reconstruct every broken MOC we receive so please please please pack carefully. We can't stress this enough.

We're not responsible for lost packages, so use a trackable method such as Delivery Confirmation or UPS or FedEx. We can't reimburse you for shipping costs but we'll pay the return postage and will use either FedEx ground or USPS with Delivery Confirmation.

LEGOLAND is pretty good about giving everyone who has something on display a goody bag. Nothing's been announced this year, but I can guarantee that if they don't provide goody bags, FBTB will make sure that you get something and we think you'll like the plan B.

Now, if you actually plan on going to LEGOLAND that weekend and want to display your models, you should know of a few things. The models have to be set up the morning before the park opens on Saturday (before 10:00am) and can be picked up Sunday when the park closes. So your model has to be there the whole weekend. You can't just come in to the park, put your MOC down and then pick it up when you go home. We'll have more details on this as we get them.

Questions? Let us know.
onions
Damp Noodle

Re: BOTHCON 2011

Postby Andi » Mon May 16, 2011 2:06 am

But the MOC can only be such a fighter, regardless if it participated in the contests or not. It can not be something other Star Wars related?
And I guess, it can not be something from Germany?
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby Robzula » Mon May 16, 2011 4:23 am

Count me in with my Chibi X-Wing
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby 77legokid » Mon May 16, 2011 5:10 am

So if we want to display a MOC (but can't be there) you just mail it in, and then get it back with a goody bag when it's all over? Oh, and what's the mailing address?
77legokid

Postby Hunthe » Mon May 16, 2011 6:09 am

So if we built one of those MOC's but didn't enter it in the contest, can we still send it in and get a goody bag?
And where do we sign up for this?
Hunthe

Postby SDIronClaw » Mon May 16, 2011 9:53 am

Andi wrote:But the MOC can only be such a fighter, regardless if it participated in the contests or not. It can not be something other Star Wars related?
And I guess, it can not be something from Germany?

Andi, it says in the first post that it can anything Star Wars related so you are just not restricted to the contest parameters. As far as shipping from Germany, from what Onions is saying, it looks like that would be ok. Would like to see some sets from overseas that would be really cool.

With that said I do have a few questions:
1. Since I am planning to be there both days is there a plan for a reduced rate or even free park admittance for those (and their families) that are displaying a MOC?

2. If you all need any help setting the display booth up and/or torn down, please let me know so I can help out.

3. Just to confirm I assume the MOC's will stay displayed overnight then?
"I find your lack of Lego disturbing."
SDIronClaw

Postby onions » Mon May 16, 2011 10:53 am

We would actually like to display MOCs from the three contest themes for a more unified display. But if you're absolutely gung ho about displaying something else, let us know what it is and we'll try and accommodate.

in the past, those who have things on display were allowed admittance to the park early to set up. This privilege is only offered to the MOC owner, not the MOC owner and his/her family so please keep that in mind. And yes, the moc would stay overnight. there will be volunteers from FBTB, SanDLUG and LUGOLA present to keep an eye on things from when the park opens til close on both days.

We'll have exact details the close we get to the event for those of you interested in displaying in person.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby onions » Mon May 16, 2011 11:06 am

i'll be sending pm's out to those people who are definitely interested in displaying something whether you plan on mailing something in or being there in person. we'll need some info to send back to the legoland folks.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby CloneEmperor » Mon May 16, 2011 11:23 am

Ace, I would really be interested in sending in the POD-VEE. Does it have to be exactly as it was for the contest? It's currently in a dismantled state but I can rebuild it.
CloneEmperor

Postby banthafodder » Mon May 16, 2011 11:30 am

I'll bring my UGLY. If we come on Saturday to set up, can we leave a pre-paid box to have it shipped back after Sunday?
banthafodder

Postby Feralcom » Mon May 16, 2011 11:56 am

Ack...I just disassembled every MOC I had yesterday to restock all my bricks. Only one still in-tact is my Tri-Droid and it wouldn't ship very well. Ill see if I cant put something back together.
Feralcom

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Mon May 16, 2011 12:51 pm

I'm definitely interested in having my Buzz and Zurg Podracers displayed and possibly attend the event myself if nothing comes up. :) I'll probably mail them in. Do you need the display stands made out of trans-clear bricks too?
Oky Wan Kenobi

Queen Amidala Royal Starship?

Postby etcknight » Mon May 16, 2011 1:32 pm

I'd be interested in submitting my Queen Amidala Royal Starship that I chromed from a few years back. It's not exactly in any of the MOC contests, but it's a nice model on display. I live in So Cal and could drop it off to a local FBTB member who'll be at Legoland, rather that mailing it in - if that's an option. Let me know.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=123764
etcknight

Postby Mofo Jones » Mon May 16, 2011 4:58 pm

I'm almost tempted to rebuild my DUPLO Y-Wing and send it in. It's basic, but then I was working with my kids' bricks, not mine. I could probably find time to MOC up something else and send it in too.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby Pepper » Mon May 16, 2011 7:22 pm

I might be interested in sending in my podracer and hybridfighter, and maybe another MOC or two. If something comes apart during shipping, can you fix it, or would I be better off not sending it? Do I need to build a stand for it, or are you handling that? Also, approximately how soon would you send it back?
Pepper

Postby Brickplumber » Mon May 16, 2011 8:17 pm

I will be there with my Hoth and a portion of my Endor if there is enough room. Chief had talked about getting together for a mini-con, is that still in the works?
Brickplumber

Postby onions » Mon May 16, 2011 11:24 pm

I would ship the MOCs back the week following the event, so the week of June 20.

If some assembly is required, it shouldn't be a problem to fix whatever the mail did to make it fall apart. However, if the MOC shows up in pieces, we probably won't bother trying to put it back together. I can't stress this enough: pack it well.

A few years ago, some members sent in podracers for Star Wars Days display, here's how one package arrived:

Though not for star wars days, this was mailed in for another display:

We would prefer packages of second type. so please, pack well.

You're more than welcome to hand off MOCs to either me or ryan depending on where you live. something can be arranged.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby onions » Mon May 16, 2011 11:25 pm

Pepper wrote:I might be interested in sending in my podracer and hybridfighter, and maybe another MOC or two. If something comes apart during shipping, can you fix it, or would I be better off not sending it? Do I need to build a stand for it, or are you handling that? Also, approximately how soon would you send it back?

We most likely won't be building any stands for anything, so if you ahve one made send it along, if not, we'll just lay it on the table as is.
onions
Damp Noodle

Re: BOTHCON 2011: Fan Display

Postby Pepper » Tue May 17, 2011 6:15 am

Can I ship it somewhat disassembled (i.e. disconnect the pod engines from the cockpit and the energy binder from the engines)?
Pepper

Next

Return to Community Features