Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

FBTB Community Project: Battle Tauntauns

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

FBTB Community Project: Battle Tauntauns

Postby Staff » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:45 am

Rebel Battle Tauntaun

No doubt by now you've seen some of the awesome battle tauntauns on display at the Fan Gallery during Star Wars Days at LEGOLand California. The one above is by Paul Meissner (legosamurai), the battle tauntaun is his brainchild of an idea, it is a tauntaun outfitted with weapons and armor to help the Rebels defend their base against Imperial forces, probe droids, and the occasional pesky wampa or two. Highly customizable, they can be armed with a wide array of ordnance, surveillance gear, and other equipment depending on the task at hand.

I've been searching for a community project idea that is easily accessible to just about everybody, doesn't require a big budget of parts, and is open to interpretation. The Battle Tauntaun project fits the bill perfectly. Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to build your own Battle Tauntaun, post it in our Community Project thread, and add it to both the Battle Tauntaun flickr group and the FBTB: flickr Outpost group. If you need some inspiration, take a look at Paul Lee's and Brandon Griffith's Battle Tauntauns below. Pictures by Don:

LEGO Battle Tauntaun by Paul Lee by fbtb LEGO Battle Tauntaun by Paul Lee by fbtb LEGO Battle Tauntaun by Paul Lee by fbtb LEGO Battle Tauntaun by Paul Lee by fbtb LEGO Battle Tauntaun by Paul Lee by fbtb LEGO Battle Tauntaun by Paul Lee by fbtb
LEGO Battle Tauntaun by Paul Lee by fbtb LEGO Battle Tauntaun by Paul Lee by fbtb LEGO Battle Tauntaun by Paul Lee by fbtb LEGO Battle Tauntaun by Paul Lee by fbtb LEGO Battle Tauntaun by Paul Lee by fbtb LEGO Battle Tauntaun by Paul Lee by fbtb
LEGO Battle Tauntaun by Brandon Griffith by fbtb LEGO Battle Tauntaun by Brandon Griffith by fbtb LEGO Battle Tauntaun by Brandon Griffith by fbtb LEGO Battle Tauntaun by Brandon Griffith by fbtb LEGO Battle Tauntaun by Brandon Griffith by fbtb LEGO Battle Tauntaun by Brandon Griffith by fbtb LEGO Battle Tauntaun by Brandon Griffith by fbtb

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2010/08/10/fbtb-community-project-battle-tauntauns/
Staff

Re: FBTB Community Project: Battle Tauntauns

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:05 pm

Meh. Not too interesting to be honest...
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby Jabba the Taff » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:22 pm

^ But TGWTB, you build so I don't have to, and I think it looks interesting. Get on it!

Seriously, the point of that post was what? If you're not interested just don't bother with it, no need for negative comments.

It's seems to me to be one of the best ideas in a long time for involving people with a small collection of bricks or not much time.
Jabba the Taff

Postby Solo » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:32 pm

Opinions are fun! Sorry you're not interested in this one TGWTB, maybe a future project will be more up your alley. I'm sure we'll get a plethora of people perfectly happy with this idea though so I'm looking forward to it.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:13 pm

Just seems a bit to narrow a guideline to me. :|

Oh well, if I have time to take a break from the 6 projects I'm working on, I'll give it a go. :lol:
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby Chief » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:39 pm

ThatGuyWithTheBricks wrote:Just seems a bit to narrow a guideline to me. :|

"build your own Battle Tauntaun" is too narrow a guideline? Holy freaking crap. I guess you haven't read any of our contest guidelines.
Chief

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:27 pm

Chief wrote:
ThatGuyWithTheBricks wrote:Just seems a bit to narrow a guideline to me. :|

"build your own Battle Tauntaun" is too narrow a guideline? Holy freaking crap. I guess you haven't read any of our contest guidelines.

Hmm, I meant narrow a theme. I just think there's not too many places one could go with this...

Oh well.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby HoboBob1138 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:50 pm

Ah but there in lies the challenging part of this project, what can one do with just a Tauntaun? The only limit here is the Tauntaun. Bricklink here I come!
No matter the distance, no matter how far
HoboBob1138

Postby banthafodder » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:59 pm

When I saw these I thought they were quite interesting. There are sooo many ways to go with this. Think I'll start tinkering with something.
banthafodder

Postby RfAurora » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:52 pm

Kinda reminds me of dino riders. too bad we cant use other beasts of burden.
*edit*Where do the round 1x1 plates with wholes come from and can they be ordered off the shop at home site?
RfAurora

Postby GIR3691 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:29 pm

Interesting. I'll see what I can do with my Tauntaun. Just collecting dust on the shelf anyways. :P
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:02 am

RfAurora wrote:Where do the round 1x1 plates with wholes come from and can they be ordered off the shop at home site?

So far the Round 1 x 1 with Open Stud has appeared mainly in various LEGO Games.

E.g. Monster 4 (two for the spider's eyes) or Shave a Sheep (12 used as sheeps' eyes). I doubt the piece is available individually from Pick A Brick.
Gingerbeard Man

Postby Robzula » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:04 am

What can I say, I like the organic look.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby banthafodder » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:30 am

^Good camo for Endor. Big bullseye for Hoth.
banthafodder

Postby Joedward » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:24 am

ThatGuyWithTheBricks wrote:I just think there's not too many places one could go with this...

Isn't that kind of the point.... Also, not narrow.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby onions » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:40 am

robzula: where does the rider sit? and uh.. this should be hoth based.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby meeotch » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:51 am

Wait, are there rules for the build? Beyond the use of a tauntaun?
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby RfAurora » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:44 pm

Gingerbeard Man wrote:
RfAurora wrote:Where do the round 1x1 plates with wholes come from and can they be ordered off the shop at home site?

So far the Round 1 x 1 with Open Stud has appeared mainly in various LEGO Games.

E.g. Monster 4 (two for the spider's eyes) or Shave a Sheep (12 used as sheeps' eyes). I doubt the piece is available individually from Pick A Brick.

Thank you for the info Gingerbreadman. Ill have to pick some sets up when i have time. got some ideas for them.
RfAurora

Postby Chief » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:06 pm

Why does it have to be native to Hoth? If airspeeders can be modified for the planet's climate, so can Tauntauns :P
Chief

Postby onions » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:30 pm

weren't the tauntauns native to the planet? never really considered that they were imported...
onions
Founder
Founder

Next

Return to Contests & Community Builds