Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Favorite or rarest star wars minifig

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Favorite or rarest star wars minifig

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:20 pm

Draykov wrote:I'm not disputing the connection between rarity and value, but they are, definitively, different things. Rarity is not a matter of opinion. Statistically speaking, Padme is a pretty rare minfig, hence the average going price of about $10 on Bricklink. Her value compared to something like a Boba Fett figure has more to do with demand than actual rarity.

For instance, let's take two character that have only appeared once: Lobot and Captain Antilles. Average going price for Lobot on Bricklink a little over $7. For Cpt. Antilles it's almost $20. And Cpt. Antilles is currently available in an extant set. Why? Is one more rare than the other? 1 to 1. No difference. But there are other factors, such as the price of the set each character came in, general demand and interest in a particular character, etc. Which leads me back to my original point: value is a complex issue with lots of determining factors. Rarity can be determined empirically with statistics.


That may be true, but you also have to think about the MSRP and units sold. Obviously, when a set is cheaper, more people will buy it, even multiples of it. Hence Lobot being so cheap (Cloud Car MSRP was $10 vs $150 for the Tantive IV). With more supply means less demand and lower prices. You can use the proportion of demand/supply for an approximate pricing. That's another reason why Padme is cheaper--she was in a $15 set. However, I do agree that some sets/figs are overinflated because of fanatics (ie Cloud City).
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks
 
Posts: 452
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:23 pm

Re: Favorite or rarest star wars minifig

Postby Draykov » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:35 pm

ThatGuyWithTheBricks wrote:That may be true, but you also have to think about the MSRP and units sold. Obviously, when a set is cheaper, more people will buy it, even multiples of it. Hence Lobot being so cheap (Cloud Car MSRP was $10 vs $150 for the Tantive IV). With more supply means less demand and lower prices.


Assuming that LEGO produces more of the lower price-point sets than the higher ones (which is a safe bet, but I have no data to determine what kind of a difference there is), that's a valid point. But to look at the dollar value of a fig on the aftermarket and say "that's this many dollars rare" is backwards.
Hail Space!
Image
Draykov
 
Posts: 1777
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:14 pm
Location: Lone Star

Re: Favorite or rarest star wars minifig

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:38 am

Draykov wrote:
ThatGuyWithTheBricks wrote:That may be true, but you also have to think about the MSRP and units sold. Obviously, when a set is cheaper, more people will buy it, even multiples of it. Hence Lobot being so cheap (Cloud Car MSRP was $10 vs $150 for the Tantive IV). With more supply means less demand and lower prices.


Assuming that LEGO produces more of the lower price-point sets than the higher ones (which is a safe bet, but I have no data to determine what kind of a difference there is), that's a valid point. But to look at the dollar value of a fig on the aftermarket and say "that's this many dollars rare" is backwards.


OK, but I'm not going to completely give up. There are many factors to one's rarity, and value is a good telling sign of it. What I mean is that is that a fig worth $2 is obviously not as rare as a fig worth $100.
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks
 
Posts: 452
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:23 pm

Re: Favorite or rarest star wars minifig

Postby SuperDave » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:21 am

"Number of units produced" is perhaps the only/best measure of rarity outside of a structured rarity system (as in collector cards). "Value" reflects... only value. "Bricklink selling price" is a pretty good estimate of "value" but is not reflective of "rarity" as a concept or a fact. "Bricklink selling price" is also a pretty good measure of "favorite rare minifig"- because it carries the paired ratings of "value based on the object itself" and "value attached to the perceived rarity of the object."

As a scenario, perhaps you prefer Classic Trilogy minifigs over Prequel Trilogy minifigs. Two minifigs, one classic and one prequel, are for sale at auction, both found in only one set. Would you pay more for the classic minifig or the prequel one? Even if they are equally rare, you would purchase the classic trilogy minifig because you "like it more"- you are valuing based on the object itself. Alternatively, say two versions of the same minifig are for sale at auction: one is a limited-edition Ponda Boba from ComiCon; the other a standard-release version of Ponda. They portray the same character, but are otherwise identical (with the exception of whatever marks the former as an exclusive)- for which would you pay more? You would prefer the limited edition minifig because "it is harder to find"- you are valuing based on the rarity of the object.

As concrete examples, consider the following:
Zev Senesca
found in 1 set
average Bricklink price: $3.89

Chief Chirpa
found in 1 set
average Bricklink price: $9.99

General Veers
found in 1 set
average Bricklink price: $14.07

Watto
found in 1 set
average Bricklink price: $76.59

So what's the difference between these four minifigs? Price hinges on rarity (number of units produced), accessibility (a combination of number of units, age, and initial cost to acquire), and desirability (Veers is a more iconic character than Chirpa); price cannot be used as a measure only of rarity.

However, if we change the title of the thread to "Favorite rare Star Wars minifig" the whole thing works.
SuperDave
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:26 pm
Location: Harrisburg, PA

Re: Favorite or rarest star wars minifig

Postby Robzula » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:13 pm

Excellent post, Dave.

I hate that the person who started this thread added "or rarest" into this and that everyone is solely focusing on that (let alone discussing value rather than rarity). "Rarest" isn't an opinion, it can be found using hard facts; the rarest minifig is the one that has the fewest in existence. It's not something that really needs a discussion. The facts may be impossible to obtain, but it's still not an opinion.

Now to get my post back on what I think the thread creator wanted, my favourite Star Wars minifig has either got to be the Phase I Clone Trooper, particularly the Clone Wars version, or the Stormtrooper, particularly the newest version, since they first off look awesome, second look true to their source, and third you can amass a huge amount of them rather than them being based on a single person.
Robzula
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 737
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:41 pm
Location: North Dakota

Re: Favorite or rarest star wars minifig

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:47 am

Robzula wrote:Excellent post, Dave.

I hate that the person who started this thread added "or rarest" into this and that everyone is solely focusing on that (let alone discussing value rather than rarity). "Rarest" isn't an opinion, it can be found using hard facts; the rarest minifig is the one that has the fewest in existence. It's not something that really needs a discussion. The facts may be impossible to obtain, but it's still not an opinion.

Now to get my post back on what I think the thread creator wanted, my favourite Star Wars minifig has either got to be the Phase I Clone Trooper, particularly the Clone Wars version, or the Stormtrooper, particularly the newest version, since they first off look awesome, second look true to their source, and third you can amass a huge amount of them rather than them being based on a single person.


Hmmm, some one who actually likes the CW figs? Anyways, I know it's not really a fig, but I love my dewback.
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks
 
Posts: 452
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:23 pm

Re: Favorite or rarest star wars minifig

Postby Robzula » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:54 pm

I hate the holes-with-black-heads helmets on the old figs, the printed visors are much better.
Robzula
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 737
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:41 pm
Location: North Dakota

Re: Favorite or rarest star wars minifig

Postby JPCJedi » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:33 pm

/\ Huh? :roll:

This thread's parsecs off topic, but I'll respond to SuperDave: it comes down to total units produced to call it rare. By that metric, the five actual gold-metal C-3POs take the cake.

But even then, sometimes common minifigs become rare on the aftermarket, and then sometimes they don't. Consider Catwoman vs Lobot. Both of these sets were around $10 and easy to find in their day.

Favorite? Mine will be that Catwoman. So much personality! And it's rare too.
Bricklink|Flickr
When the Lord spits in your face, he’s trying to cure you of something.--John 9:1-41
JPCJedi
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:07 pm

Re: Favorite or rarest star wars minifig

Postby Marty » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:04 pm

To say the rarest isn't fair this involves competition, to say your favourite well, I can go with that.
Having at one time or another had most of the figures this thread has talked about (except for the gold C3po) I have to say not all the figures impressed me. Sure there are some more rarer than others, but I have to add not all mean't that much to me as certain ones did. Since you have limited this to SW I'll stick to this, so without further a-do, here goes.

My favourite minifigures of the SW range are as follows;

1. Darth Vader, he's so evil, and in 1999 the Tie fighter Y-wing set was the only way to get him!
2. The old x-wing pilot.
3. Old Ben & Luke.
4. The new R2, heaps better than the old one, but should have had a chrome top.
5. The new emperor, evil minifig has a new winner!!

But all-time favourite has to be Greedo, loved the character and although he costs heaps on Ebay and the like, he's worth it.
There are heaps of others, but if we're talking Boba fett, wait till the new one shows up, he looks heap better than the older one, including cloudcity.

Regards Marty
Marty
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:44 pm

Re: Favorite or rarest star wars minifig

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:09 pm

JPCJedi wrote:/\ Huh? :roll:

This thread's parsecs off topic, but I'll respond to SuperDave: it comes down to total units produced to call it rare. By that metric, the five actual gold-metal C-3POs take the cake.

But even then, sometimes common minifigs become rare on the aftermarket, and then sometimes they don't. Consider Catwoman vs Lobot. Both of these sets were around $10 and easy to find in their day.

Favorite? Mine will be that Catwoman. So much personality! And it's rare too.


There's something different about Batman sets that makes them SO overinflated now.
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks
 
Posts: 452
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:23 pm

Best Designed SW Minifig?

Postby Krataka » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:54 pm

This sounds like a really noobish question but, in your opinion, what is the best designed minifig Lego has ever made for its Star Wars line? For me, its the newly designed Darth Vader. Pretty much all that he's missing is his neckbrace.
Image
Krataka
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:27 pm

Re: Best Designed SW Minifig?

Postby Brickweiser » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:03 pm

I'd say pretty much all the new figures from Battle of Endor were amazing, the newly designed Ewoks, in general, are amazing. I honestly just stare at them with amazement sometimes.
Brickweiser
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:17 pm

Re: Best Designed SW Minifig?

Postby MisterFubar » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:11 pm

Aldar Beedo from Watto's Junkyard. It leaves so much to your imagination.
MisterFubar
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: Afghantooine

Re: Best Designed SW Minifig?

Postby CommanderKeller » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:13 pm

new darth is pretty awesome. Something about it just screams "impressive". Boba fett combination of printed parts and new helmet is pretty stylish as well. Wampa and taun taun if you consider them minifigs are welcoming designs too.
A wise old man once told me, "Remember kid, there are heroes and there are legends. Heroes get remembered, but legends never die. Follow your heart kid and you will never go wrong". Cookies for the reference.
CommanderKeller
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:18 am
Location: Santa Barbara

Re: Best Designed SW Minifig?

Postby Chadillac » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:53 pm

I think the new Boba is pretty awesome too! Decals on the arm would be cool....like jedi's in clone armor.
Chadillac
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:04 pm

Re: Best Designed SW Minifig?

Postby legomatt » Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:55 pm

Brickweiser wrote:I'd say pretty much all the new figures from Battle of Endor were amazing, the newly designed Ewoks, in general, are amazing. I honestly just stare at them with amazement sometimes.


I just loved seeing this post... sometimes amidst all our momentary gripes about prices, spotting latest releases, and all that, it's easy to forget all the sheer greatness of Lego.

When you step back, look at your collection (no matter how small), you just have to say Lego is so utterly brilliant.

I agree Brickweiser, the Endor set is definitely one of the best ever.
legomatt
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:26 pm

Re: Favorite or rarest star wars minifig

Postby Marty » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:05 pm

Going on two fronts here, rarest & most expensive, has to be the yellow head Leia.
This only came out in one set the first falcon, and going by what they're asking for the price hasn't changed much, so I guess this one followed by Han with the blue trousers, then comes the sandpeople and the new emperor.
Marty
 
Posts: 232
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:44 pm

Re: Favorite or rarest star wars minifig

Postby SDIronClaw » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:32 pm

Marty wrote:Going on two fronts here, rarest & most expensive, has to be the yellow head Leia.
This only came out in one set the first falcon, and going by what they're asking for the price hasn't changed much, so I guess this one followed by Han with the blue trousers, then comes the sandpeople and the new emperor.



There is a yellow headed Leia in the Jabba's Palace.What about the printed legged Stormies in the Imperial Inspection..those are pretty rare.
"I find your lack of Lego disturbing."
SDIronClaw
 
Posts: 377
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:46 pm
Location: Judland Waste

Re: Best Designed SW Minifig?

Postby Flynn » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:48 pm

Krataka wrote:This sounds like a really noobish question but, in your opinion, what is the best designed minifig Lego has ever made for its Star Wars line? For me, its the newly designed Darth Vader. Pretty much all that he's missing is his neckbrace.


Original Stormtrooper. Kept the perfect balance between making the figure look like LEGO and making it look like the source material.

I'd also place the original Hoth troopers and X-Wing pilots up there for that same reason.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,


Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn
 
Posts: 655
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:38 am

Re: Favorite or rarest star wars minifig

Postby Epic Emperor » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:55 am

My favorite fig is Jango; he is such a cool character and was included in just 1 set.

I think the bronze Boba is the rarest fig there is, as only two of them exist...
Epic Emperor
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:41 am

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 5 guests