Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Send A Card, Give A Child A Toy! [PLEASE READ!]

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Send A Card, Give A Child A Toy! [PLEASE READ!]

Postby natespizer » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:21 pm

Hopefully its a different web team protecting our credit card info when purchasing from lego.com
natespizer

Postby fatflash1423 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:54 pm

Now, I don't want to disadvantage myself in this competition for a chrome C-3PO I covet. But I do want to hit help on this good cause.

1. No mouse clicks needed. After the first submissin, just hit "backspace" instead of the back button and then "enter" to resubmit (IE browser)
2. Now take #1 and look into an automated keystroke program. It takes some time to get the delays set robustly... But I may or may not have had my PC sending out cards for 6 hours last night.

so what you're says is we have no chance in winning the most sent? I'm still going to try. >8(
Last edited by fatflash1423 on Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fatflash1423

Postby natespizer » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:59 pm

With this community we knew after about 10 manual entries of information people were going to come up with ALTERNATE methods of submitting the information haha.

So I have a few emails in my spam folder from earlier - Onions you mentioned something about forwarding those over as well. Any good way to do that in bulk? I sent over a verification email to add [email protected] to my forwarding list. :)

onions wrote:we should be able to break 300k+ today if all goes well.

the best way to test to see if the send/back/send method still works is to test it on your own account.

you can also forward those undeliverable messages to the same address.
Last edited by natespizer on Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
natespizer

Postby GroudonMan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:42 pm

fatflash1423 wrote:
Now, I don't want to disadvantage myself in this competition for a chrome C-3PO I covet. But I do want to hit help on this good cause.

1. No mouse clicks needed. After the first submissin, just hit "backspace" instead of the back button and then "enter" to resubmit (IE browser)
2. Now take #1 and look into an automated keystroke program. It takes some time to get the delays set robustly... But I may or may not have had my PC sending out cards for 6 hours last night.

so what you're says is we have no chance in winning the most sent? Got it.

Regardless of whether people are running automated programs or not, I'm going to keep trying. I got started on this a good while before it got heavily publicized, and have taken a very large amount of my time sending these. My employment situation certainly is an advantage in this instance. :lol:

Forgetting any prizes, the ultimate goal here will be accomplished, to help as many underprivileged children as possible receive something nice for Christmas through the good will of others. If LEGO were to remove the website now our efforts would still be deemed a major success, having boosted the numbers considerably in such a short period of time. Again, I am grateful to be helping by sending these myself and spreading the news to my friends, and I would like to thank all who are taking their time to help the cause.
GroudonMan

Postby fatflash1423 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:05 pm

Sorry, that was just a little frustration after sending 1,000 greetings. I was cranky lol. I'm def going to still try. Game on!
fatflash1423

Postby goshe7 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:24 pm

fatflash1423 wrote:Sorry, that was just a little frustration after sending 1,000 greetings. I was cranky lol. I'm def going to still try. Game on!

I didn't mean to cause anger. The reason I said something this early was twofold. Firstly it wasn't clear how long this promo would run and I was truly interested in maximizing the number of toys distributed. (that has since been answered). And secondly because it is I know this is stretching the rules of fair play. Figuring I wasn't the only one who had this idea, I thought it better to make the approach more widely known and attempt to re-level the playing field than keep the approach just to my sole benefit.
goshe7

Postby GroudonMan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:24 pm

Sounds like it would be a good idea, help speed things along. Any opinions on the fairness of this method, Ace?
GroudonMan

Postby onions » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:57 pm

i can say with confidence that there were a few senders that used automated programs
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Iare Tosevite » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:12 pm

I had a go for solid 10 minutes, using mouse click and back button. Used left hand to hold mouse and right hand to click back forth back forth.... for 10 minutes. I guess I clicked around 20-30 per minute so thats around 300 lol.

It was for good cause though!
Where, where, where is correct way out?
Iare Tosevite

Postby volumex » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:23 am

I got most of sent back to as 'errors'? Service provider has flagged my account! (spam), will resume once dust has settled and will continue from another address ;)
e -greeting I send. Clicking, I must!
volumex

Postby Stardusty » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:15 am

Oh well, this kinda ruins the point of spending your time clicking.
I'll keep sending e-mails, but this just doesn't seem fair. :(

I guess I wouldn't be that sad if my chances for promo figs weren't ruined. :lol:
Or if I got the idea first... XD

Question for onions: Yesterday while I was in school, I've remembered that if you click submit post
on forums multiple times, you'll post multiple posts. I've tried it with e-mails.
Since I've sent a lot of e-mails yesterday, there's no way to find out does it works, but is there any
way to find out does it works? It could be another neat way of sending more e-mails.
Stardusty

Postby Dendo » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:01 am

I tried hitting back yesterday after they implemented the code and sent myself 10 emails but only received 2. Can anyone confirm that this is still working?
Dendo

Postby onions » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:36 pm

i still haven't received mine. i got a report that one person who sent a message on monday received theirs this morning.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby onions » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:39 pm

oh, and i contacted my friend at lego. she's going to look into their webserver throttling the message send rate. i'm sure this is something that they don't want: people sending greetings and having the recipient get it days later.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby goshe7 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:26 pm

onions wrote:i still haven't received mine. i got a report that one person who sent a message on monday received theirs this morning.

That's weird. I've been periodically checking and sending to myself and they always come through within a few minutes.

I also saw the counter updating after I opened the email, but it is going up by about 5 counts per refresh. So hard to pin down which one was mine.
goshe7

Postby Dendo » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:55 pm

I am starting to think I've been black-listed. I haven't gotten a message sent to myself now in 2 days.
Dendo

Postby fatflash1423 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:45 pm

yes, I can no longer send the greetings from my email. I guess I sent the limit... so much for trying for the most sent now. lol I guess I'll start sending from another email.
fatflash1423

Postby onions » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:24 pm

we figured out the issue.

their server is limiting emails sent to three emails for every combination of to and from email addresses. meaning, if i send myself an email to [email protected] from [email protected], i can only send three before they block that combination. looking back at the inbox for the last 300 emails or so seems to verify this approach.

this will take more work, but it can still be done.

1. fill out the form
2. hit send (email #1)
3. hit your back button
4. hit send (email #2)
5. hit your back button
6. hit send (email #3)
7. hit your back button
8. edit the "from" address. i recommend adding a number to the name part of the email so you can keep track of the increments. example: if the from address is [email protected], change it to [email protected]
9. go to step 2

we just tested this method and verified that it works. like i said, it's going to take a little more work, but we'll get there.

i'm not publishing this on the front page in case lego's eyes are watching. so please spread the word.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby volumex » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:26 am

Is this all above board? I'd hate for us step in some poo at this stage of the game.
volumex

Postby fatflash1423 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:36 am

I'll keep sending them, we are not half way there yet.
fatflash1423

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars