Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

New LEGO Batman Video Game in 2012

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

New LEGO Batman Video Game in 2012

Postby Staff » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:07 am

In a recent article in the Los Angeles Times, the president of Warner Interactive revealed a few upcoming projects. One of the projects, which should excite fans of Traveller's Tales LEGO Video Game series, is a sequel to 2008's LEGO Batman: The Videogame. Not much else is known at this point and there is no release date yet, but with several LEGO video games due out over the next year, notably LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 (Nov. 11, 2011) and LEGO Super Heroes: The Video Game (June 2012), gamers should have their brick-loving hands full.

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2011/10/18/new-lego-batman-video-game-in-2012/
Staff

Re: New LEGO Batman Video Game in 2012

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:24 am

LEGO Super Heroes: The Video Game? Is that the final title? Because that sounds like DC and Marvel would all be tossed in the same game, which would surprise me. I was expecting a LEGO: Justice League game or LEGO:Avengers game.
Mister Ed

Postby cas » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:34 am

Based on the very few references to Lego Super Heroes: The Video Game I could find, it does seem that yes, both DC and Marvel characters will appear in the game. The game apparently blends the upcoming Super Heroes sets and the various films of next year and the past few years, but I haven't been able to confirm this. Shouldn't be too long before we get an official announcement though.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:56 am

Wow. I would have thought that the two companies wouldn't have wanted their licenses mixed like that (or not without a lot of extra wrangling and negotiation, anyway). I think, if it happens, it will be awesome, and likely lead to higher sales. (I just hope that, by combining both, they don't squeeze out a bunch of characters I would have liked seeing in action just to make room...)
Mister Ed

Postby batsamd » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:56 am

Not sure I like the idea of blending the DC and Marvel universes together. It kind of reminds me of all the DC/Marvel team-ups/cross-overs of the '90s in comics, which scarred me for life. Honestly, I just don't think those comics were done very well.

I would prefer the universes to be kept separate in the games, which would hopefully mean there was more emphasis on the story, rather than trying to see how many sets they can cram into the game.

If they wanted to do groups, then, as mentioned above, I think either Justice League or Avengers games would be good.

Really excited about a new Batman game, though, I enjoyed the first one. Not sure why a lot of people bashed it. Sure, I had some head-banging on the wall moments trying to figure some things out, but I've had that on all the LEGO games (included all Star Wars, both IJ and Batman).

Overall it was fun and I liked that it was a unique story and that you could play as the villans. Hopefully the sequel will be similar in that regards.
batsamd

Postby Walter Boy » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:14 am

It's like the same game getting remade over and over again...

And I keep buying it. :facepalm:
Walter Boy

Postby buriedbybricks » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:02 pm

I'd be very surprised if they combined both Marvel and DC into one game. First off they've rarely gotten along well enough to work together and evenly share credit or profit and secondly I believe it would short change them both in the long run.
The Batman game proved that given a large enough rogues gallery an entire game could be created from one hero. That being said, if you divided a game into 4 or 6 sections with multiple levels you could have around 8 (or less if you do a couple team up cross overs) heroes in a single game. This would give enough variety to keep the game fresh without feeling like you got ripped off on how much time you play as each hero.

Add the two franchises together and it would be too much, most likely a mess too. DC would have issue with the Hulk being too strong, etc.

All they need to do is make a LEGO: Marvel Superheroes & a LEGO: DC Superheroes. If they want to do Avengers or JL that's fine, the agreement made it sound as though Spider-man and the X-Men could enjoy their own games and both of those would work fine IMO. Some heroes will probably only work in groups like Green Lantern, Captain America, The Hulk and even Iron Man and Supes. Iron Man doesn't have a recognizable enough group of villains and Superman games tend to straight up suck. Hard.
buriedbybricks

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:37 pm

I actually kind of wonder how heroes that fly all the time will be handled. Will they only be able to hover? Or will the levels be built totally differently so that one can actually make use of a flying ability?
Mister Ed

Postby batsamd » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:41 pm

Mister Ed, you bring up a good point that I hadn't thought of.

Maybe it'll be similar to The Clone Wars flying levels, where you're Batman in his Batwing or Superman flying around, then you land and the flying characters are forced to walk.

The flying characters would then be similar to R2, where they could hover over a wide gap that can't be jumped across, but they wouldn't have to worry about falling down.

If it is a group game, maybe they flying levels would automatically choose flying heroes only.
batsamd

Postby mandalorian_marshall » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:38 pm

I'm incredibly excited about this. Lego Batman was one of my favorites of the series, and I'd love to play another one. I agree that there should be different games for Marvel and DC. Combining them is just going to result too much great content being cut, and would probably seem a bit convoluted (at least, that's how all other crossovers that I've seen have been). That being said, there is not doubt that I'll buy whatever superhero games that they make regardless.
mandalorian_marshall

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:58 pm

Lego Batman 2 and Lego Superheroes in the same year? That's great! I just hope the Batcave and Two Face wont be as colorful as they are in the actual sets. :S
Oky Wan Kenobi

Postby batsamd » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:38 am

Here's a pic of an ad for LEGO Batman 2.

Not really sure if Superman and Wonder Woman will make an appearance in the game or if they're included in the pic because of the "Superheroes" theme.

I'm kind of hoping they're not, we should get them in a Superheroes or Justice League game, not in a Batman game.
batsamd

Return to Licensed Themes