Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

FBTB MOC Madness 2011 Building Tournament Announcement

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: FBTB MOC Madness 2011 Building Tournament Announcement

Postby ForestFeller » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:22 am

Here is my entry for the contest.

The infamous Zume Rhapsagg and his trusty sidekick, Mr. Lobster, along with their personal starship the Midnight Dragon, are one of the best bounty hunting and smuggling crews in the galaxy.

Zume Rhapsagg by 4estFeller, on Flickr

You can see a picture of Zume and Lobs together here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65992320@N ... 7611055724

The Midnight Dragon is their personal starship. Intead of "acquiring" a ship in then modifying it with better weapons systems, sheilds, and the like, Zume and Lobs had their ship custom-built from the ground up to suit their needs and preferences. Powered by four massive engines, and armed with four forwand blaster cannons and and a powerful dorsal turret(ussually manned by Mr. Lobster), this is one ship you don't want to run into. Ever.

Midnight Dragon by 4estFeller, on Flickr

Here is the interior. It is large enough to accomodate a Hutt(barely), and is loaded through a large rear hatch.

Midnight Dragon (interior) by 4estFeller, on Flickr

See the rest of the pictures here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65992320@N ... 611055724/

Note: All stickers used on this model were taken from three Atlantis sets: two copies of 7984, and one 8058.
Last edited by ForestFeller on Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:03 am, edited 3 times in total.
ForestFeller

Postby Super Robot Wars » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:01 am

Sorry new here. I have two questions regarding the contest.

Is the contest open worldwide or just to certain countries?
Are you allowed to add power functions to the moc?

Thanks, looking forward to entering the contest :)!
Super Robot Wars

Postby Solo » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:13 pm

Open to everyone and power functions are completely allowed. Looking forward to your entry!
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Yodamann » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:20 pm

Could I use a hanger I built beforehand as a background?
Also, could my bounty hunter be the now-disgraced Thrak Farelle?
-Yodamann
My Flickr
Yodamann

Postby danyolacrayola » Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:23 pm

so, just to be sure, bionicle parts are allowed, right?
"Now this is podracing!"
Well, actually, you're flying an ARMED SPACESHIP not a glorified, unarmed swoop.
Freakin' kids.

_dMc_
danyolacrayola

Postby Solo » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:11 pm

Yodamann wrote:Could I use a hanger I built beforehand as a background?
The contest is about your bounty hunter and their ship, so that's all that should be in your submission photos. A clean background is the best way to prepare it for the tournament bracket format.
Yodamann wrote:Also, could my bounty hunter be the now-disgraced Thrak Farelle?
I don't know who that is... but as long as it's an original character of yours, yes. Otherwise no.

danyolacrayola wrote:so, just to be sure, bionicle parts are allowed, right?
Correct.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby elijah » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:10 pm

Is there a size limit?
The walking Encyclopedia and geek. My flicker is at this http://www.flickr.com/photos/elijahtheencyclopedia/
elijah

Postby banthafodder » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:12 pm

Rules state no size restrictions.
banthafodder

Postby mdilthey » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:48 pm

Here's a question:

I'm noticing a seemingly slower start to this contest compared to last year's, and I suspect it's because it's in September, rather than mid-summer.

With that in mind, is a time extension of 15-30 days something FBTB would consider?

I'm basing it on the following:

1. All the rules of the contest are fostering a great deal of creativity. More time is aligned with the idea of "Go Big" that these rules really encourage.

2. College students are in college, kids are in class, and working adults may not have as many hours to devote. With the contest in this particular time of the year, rather than holiday break or summer break, more time would be somewhat metered by busier people.

3. More time doesn't appear to directly impact the idea of "Fairness."

I know I, for one, would love to take the edge off this contest with an extension of the October 31st deadline. I'm about 1/3 of the way through after 1/3 of the contest, so I'm not really worried, but I'm not sure an extension can really hurt- and I can definitely illustrate how it can help! If it were November 31st, I know I would feel a lot better about my model's level of completeness and the time I can allot to sitting down and building.

I would love some feedback from the FBTB Volunteers, or other contest participants! Feel free to just say "No," but I'd love to know the philosophy behind it.
mdilthey

Postby zhouston » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:46 pm

I think the deadline should stay where it is. There is a slow start but there is still almost a month and a half to build, even with school/work that is a ton of time to put together a ship (if anything i'm surprised there are already a couple entries). I also think most builders wait to submit their entries until the last minute regardless of when they finish, and most of them, including myself, want the contest to end sooner so the voting can happen.

If anyone out there legitimately thinks he/she won't be able to finish in time they should try and set aside an hour or two on average every day to build, at this point in the contest that should give them more than enough time to build an awesome ship.
zhouston
David

Postby onions » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:06 am

i for one am glad to see a slow start. what happens most of the time is that once a contest is announced, there is a rush to cobble something and enter it as soon as possible. history shows that the early entries never do well. the entries that come in later are a product of building, planning, and taking one's time to produce one's best work. those are the entires that do well and win.

two months is as long as i'm willing to make a contest window. i believe this allows plenty of time for builders to try a variety of designs before settling on one, and then taking their moc to the next level. we are offering the most epic prizes ever in a fan run contest, so the mocs should be one's absolute best work to be worthy of winning. i don't believe that can be achieved by building something and entering it within 7 days of the announcement of the contest. and i honestly don't believe an extra two weeks time to tinker will be all that beneficial.

i understand and appreciate the concern, but just like being in school, in college, and at work: a deadline is a deadline.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Lego junkie » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:20 am

After reading, (and re-reading just in case I missed something) I have a question.
In the rules, it's stated that "No modified parts or cut stickers" can be used, I'm assuming using official TLC stickers on bricks other then the one they were meant for is allowed?
Just thought I'd make sure before I get too far along in my build.
Lego junkie

Postby Legoboy123456789 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:45 am

file:///C:/Users/%D0%92%D0%B0%D0%B4%D0%B8%D0%BC/Desktop/Lego/DSC01809.JPG
Legoboy123456789

Postby Lazerblade » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:22 am

The dead line "should not" be extended out any further. There is plenty of brain storming and building time out there. Find that time and use it to your advantage. Two months is more then one needs. One hour a day = 61 hours. :D

~Kyle
Lazerblade

Postby onions » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:57 pm

Lego junkie wrote:After reading, (and re-reading just in case I missed something) I have a question.
In the rules, it's stated that "No modified parts or cut stickers" can be used, I'm assuming using official TLC stickers on bricks other then the one they were meant for is allowed?

that is correct. think of stickers as another building element that can be applied to any other building element. you just can't cut them up.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby onions » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:59 pm

Legoboy123456789 wrote:file:///C:/Users/%D0%92%D0%B0%D0%B4%D0%B8%D0%BC/Desktop/Lego/DSC01809.JPG

Legoboy123456789, you need to re-read the rules. your images must be hosted at flickr.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Lazerblade » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:19 pm

Lego junkie wrote:After reading, (and re-reading just in case I missed something) I have a question.

Great minds think alike. Thanks for posting the question. :)
Lazerblade

Postby mdilthey » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:16 am

Those are all sound arguments, and I wasn't worried about my personal entry, I was trepidacious about the slow start as an indication of interested builders. perhaps with a prize like this on the line, it's best if the most dedicated to the schedule/deadline get the most votes!

Thanks for hearing me out :D
mdilthey

Postby elijah » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:01 pm

So let me just get this strait we are allowed to use any the Lego Company has produced, But were not allowed to modify them. :cool:
The walking Encyclopedia and geek. My flicker is at this http://www.flickr.com/photos/elijahtheencyclopedia/
elijah

Postby mdilthey » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:00 pm

Halfway done!

I scrapped my original idea and started building straight up: a vertical deep-space vessel! I think it'll scrape 60-80 studs high :D
mdilthey

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds