Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Review: 8200 Radiator Springs Lightning McQueen

The official Lego set review forum. Please read the Guidelines before posting!

Review: 8200 Radiator Springs Lightning McQueen

Postby Staff » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:04 am

8200 Radiator Springs Lightning McQueen

You wouldn't think such a small set would garner so many complaints.

8200 Radiator Springs Lightning McQueen is one of two entry level Cars 2 themed sets priced at $6.99. Clocking in at 35 pieces, there isn't much going on in this set to feel like you got a good value since nearly a quarter of that piece count goes towards wheels and tires. You do get a traffic cone as an accessory and that's pretty much it. I'm still trying to figure out why the set is labeled as "Radiator Springs Lightning McQueen". In Mattel's Hot Wheels line of Cars and Cars 2 die-cast vehicles, they use such monikers to differentiate the multiple versions of the same character. You have versions of McQueen such as Dinoco Lightning McQueen, Cruisin' Lightning McQueen, Tongue Lightning Mcqueen, and the list goes on and on. So I wonder if LEGO labeling this as "Radiator Springs" was because they intend on releasing more versions of him, they wanted to differentiate him from other versions found in other sets, or if it was imposed by the licensor.

8200 Radiator Springs Lightning McQueen - Front

What I Liked: They nailed the shape of Lightning. There are three new molds in this set: the windshield/roof, the front end, and the rear tail lights. Some of those elements appear in other minicars, but here combined together it perfectly captures the look of Lightning McQueen.

The elements are printed, even the door panel tiles, which is surprising given LEGO's propensity to include stickers wherever possible. With the other Cars sets in queue for review, though, this is the norm for the minicars and not the exception. The level of detail they were able to achieve on the prints is nothing short of amazing. The headlights on the hood are sharp with plenty of detail and the racing decals are still legible despite their small size. I can clearly read "Piston Cup" without a magnifying glass.

8200 Radiator Springs Lightning McQueen - Side

What I Didn't Like: Where do I begin?

Though the elements are printed, they aren't without flaws. The whites of the eyes and the round 95 on the windshield/roof element isn't as opaque as you are lead to believe from the box art and fancy photos on Shop@Home. They are translucent to a degree, enough to let the red from the base ABS show through making him look like he has a bad case of pinkeye. The white printing on the door panels is slightly better, but on one of my tiles, the racing decals suffer from misaligned colors and a little color bleeding. I bought this set when they first hit the sales floor at my local Target store and I'm tempted to buy another set just to see if these issues were addressed in later production runs.

8200 Radiator Springs Lightning McQueen - Top

Where are the fenders? The way that McQueen is constructed, and this goes for almost every other LEGO Cars minicar, the tires visibly protrude from the vehicle body and it looks like he is missing fenders. LEGO opted to use the wide version of the wheel holder plate which makes the wheels protrude out enough to line up against the door panel plates. It was the only way to keep the width uniform from front to back, but despite that it still looks like the vehicle left the factory unfinished.

Finally, my last gripe is that this is the exact same version of Lightning McQueen you get from Flo's V8 Cafe. This is a missed opportunity to provide a unique eye print in either set and for those collectors whose gotta have them all, it would have justified purchasing this set. Sure, it gives kids easy access to Lightning if they can't afford to get the more expensive Cafe, but a unique eye print would have been nice.

Verdict: Avoid it if you plan on getting any other set that has Lightning in it, especially Flo's. But hey, I'll link to the Shop@Home page anyway:

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2011/08/15/review-8200-radiator-springs-lightning-mcqueen/
Staff

Re: Review: 8200 Radiator Springs Lightning McQueen

Postby drdavewatford » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:00 am

Thanks for the interesting perspective, although IMHO you're being a tad harsh. I was unexpectedly pleased with this set - when you're paying less than £5 for a LEGO set you need to rein in your expections, and given that they nailed the overall shape, and provided us with a bunch of new and printed parts, I think we have little to complain about. I've actually been surprised by the theme as a whole - much more desirable than I thought it would be.

Dr. D.

PS. I always prefer to put a name, or at least a username, to an opinion - what's with this thing of crediting reviews etc. to staff ? Or is staff his/her name ?!

PPS. Only fair you get a chance to assassinate my review ! You can find it at : http://gimmelego.blogspot.com/2011/06/f ... sions.html
Love Lego ? Visit my blog at http://www.gimmelego.blogspot.com
drdavewatford

Postby onions » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:27 am

the staff author for the forum post is injected by the wordpress plugin when we publish stories. it's something i've been meaning to address but the plugin code is quite delicate. i'm the author of the review which you can find on the front page via the permalink.

i still stand by the negatives that i talked about. especially about the whole fender issue. those tires need to be covered! but this will probably be the most negative review i give of all the cars sets as I liked most everything else. ultimate let-down francesco is probably second worst.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby drdavewatford » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:43 am

Cheers, onions !

To be clear, I'd certainly agree that there are things LEGO could improve about this set; I'm just not sure that at this scale, piece count and price point it's enough to mark it down. I'd actually be more critical of the Ultimate Build Lightning set - with a bigger scale and more parts to play with, I think we could have reasonably expected a more accurate likeness. I've not built Francesco yet....sounds like I shouldn't be in too much of a hurry to do so either !

Dr. D.
drdavewatford

Postby onions » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:03 am

you do have a point that at such a small scale, some decisions had to be made on how to shape the mold for the new elements. it must not have been an easy decision as those molds would be used over again in other vehicles across the entire line. so it's not just lightning's minicar that has exposed tires, it's also finn mcmissile, holly shiftwell, and a few others. in comparison, look at acer from the spy jet escape. so streamlined it's funny.

now that i think about it some more, i guess i can't really blame the molds for the new elements. clearly it's the door panel tiles that forced lego's hand into using the wide wheel holder plate. and thus pushing those tires out. i rebuilt lightning minus the door panels using the normal wheel holder plates. looks so much better but much harder to integrate the door panels.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Tohst » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:46 am

Great review.

Having gotten one off the shelf just 3 days ago I can say either they haven't fixed the problem with the printing being see-thru or mine was still from an early batch but still sitting around.

They are calling this one Radiator Springs Lightning McQueen to differentiate from the other deco, the World Grand Prix Lightning McQueen.

I'm not a fan of the set myself but my two-year old, who has never seen either movie, loves it.

-Tohst
Tohst
Staff Writer

Postby GIR3691 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:51 am

This is one instance I really wish they had gone with stickers. Not just because Lightning McQueen HAD sticker decals in the movie, but also because these parts are essentially useless to me unless I were to *gasp!* brasso the faces off. Really cool car parts, but the printing really limits their use.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby GregHyland » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:53 am

I picked up this set because I needed it for reference for a TV commercial storyboard. However, my daughter, who had never seen the movie, ended up loving it and we had to get all the other sets. But with the duplicate McQueen, I was able to do a "Cars Custom" and make a monster truck version of McQueen (the Bolt!) from the Race-O-Rama video game:
Greg Hyland
"You'll thank me when you share my politics"
http://www.lethargiclad.com
GregHyland

Postby GregHyland » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:58 am

GIR3691 wrote:This is one instance I really wish they had gone with stickers.

I believe the rule is to not put stickers on a curved and/or rounded surface, which the Cars pieces are full of (although they will allow it on a cylinder piece). And I know they try to avoid stickers on younger aimed sets. (Although I'm sure someone out there will find examples to prove me wrong)
Greg Hyland
GregHyland

Postby MrCRskater » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:05 am

I had the same problem with my Lightning McQueen having a severe case of "redeye." How come Greg's looks so awesome?

Also, was it REALLY that much extra cost that they couldn't have included just a couple more cones? 35 parts at $6, they're already getting nearly $0.20 per part. Why not make it 39 pieces and include 3 cones?
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:44 am

Nice review of a very unimpressive set. I agree that this set would have been much more appealing if Lightning had a different print, at least a different expression. Lego calls this "Radiator Springs Lightning McQueen" in order to differentiate it from the Cars 2 version of him that you get in Racing Rivalry, Tokyo Grand Prix, and Big Bentley. It's the version of McQueen as he appeared in Radiator Springs at the end of the first movie. Why didn't they make version of him with the paint job that he had for most of the movie? :S Oh well, maybe in another wave...

Oh, and awesome mod, Greg! :D But I believe Lightning's monster truck name is Frightening McMean. ;)
http://pixar.wikia.com/Monster_Truck_Mater
Oky Wan Kenobi

Postby onions » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:10 pm

I understand why it's called "Radiator Springs", but they could have just called the set "Lightning McQueen" and been done with it 'cause it's not like they're going to sell "World Grand Prix Lightning McQueen" as a separate $6.99 set. unless that is exactly what they plan on doing.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Sarge » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:37 pm

This as mentioned above is he Lightning from the end of the first movie. Lego is maintaining consistentency with other toy lines naming this 'Radiator Springs.' The 'normal' Lightning from the first movie is actually the one that comes with the Mack transport truck.
Sarge

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:36 am

MrCRskater wrote:Also, was it REALLY that much extra cost that they couldn't have included just a couple more cones? 35 parts at $6, they're already getting nearly $0.20 per part. Why not make it 39 pieces and include 3 cones?

That is a very good question. I know I balked at buying this, and bought the Mater one instead. More parts, looked like a more interesting build. I knew Lightning McQueen would probably be more popular with the kids, but this just looked so....minimal, with that one lonely cone and the tiny amount of pieces going into McQueen himself. Throw in a few more cones, enough to make at least a minimal "obstacle course", and you have a "play feature" of sorts (and a slightly higher piece count) to make the set look that much more attractive.

(It didn't help that they actually have a picture of all the pieces in the set on the back of the box. Boy does that underline the overpriced nature of this set. I just couldn't bring myself to buy it when it was so obvious that they weren't even TRYING, but just counting on the fact that it was Lightning McQueen to sell the product.)
Mister Ed

Postby GregHyland » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:03 am

Oky Wan Kenobi wrote:Why didn't they make version of him with the paint job that he had for most of the movie? :S Oh well, maybe in another wave...

They did. In Mack's Team Truck set, I believe.

Oky Wan Kenobi wrote:Oh, and awesome mod, Greg! :D But I believe Lightning's monster truck name is Frightening McMean. ;)
http://pixar.wikia.com/Monster_Truck_Mater

Thanks! I actually do very little building or mods, so this isn't really that complex! I knew there was a monster truck version in the TV cartoon, but I didn't know the name. In the Cars Race-O-Rama video game (which is how my daughter saw the monster truck version) they use the name "The Bolt" and simply "Monster Mater" for the Mater version (which I also made!).
Greg Hyland
GregHyland

Postby drdavewatford » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:25 am

MrCRskater wrote:(It didn't help that they actually have a picture of all the pieces in the set on the back of the box. Boy does that underline the overpriced nature of this set. I just couldn't bring myself to buy it when it was so obvious that they weren't even TRYING, but just counting on the fact that it was Lightning McQueen to sell the product.)

To be fair, the picture on the back of the box only shows each different part once, i.e. where there are multiples (which is the case for most of the pieces) you don't see them all, which makes it look like you're not getting many pieces.

Regarding value for money, Amazon in the U.K. have been consistently selling this set below RRP - I bought a couple at almost 50% off RRP. A quick browse of the US Amazon site shows the current price to be a few cents below RRP + free shipping, but be patient and you'll no doubt get a better deal on it. There's no need to pay the RRP for LEGO except for S@H exclusives these days. If it's only the RRP that's putting people off buying this set I suggest they shop around.....

Dr. D.
drdavewatford

Postby onions » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:31 am

You know what's funny about this set?

HE DOESN'T EVEN APPEAR IN CARS 2 LIKE THIS.

i only bring this up because the logo on the box clearly says Cars 2. inconsistency!
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:46 am

Admittedly, it has been a while since I saw Cars 2, but I thought McQueen had this paint job briefly, in the opening scenes in Radiator Springs. I could well be wrong.

EDIT: I am wrong. I checked the trailer, and while he did get a new paint job for the WGP, the one he had at the beginning of the film was NOT this one.
Mister Ed

Postby onions » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:57 am

yeah he had his original paint scheme on at the beginning of cars 2 and then went through a paint job to prep for the world grand prix. i guess he reverted back to a more traditional racing look after his first piston cup win. personally, i liked the radiator springs look, and liked it more before he applied his racing decals and spoiler on. the classic cruiser look was really nice.
onions
Damp Noodle

Return to Reviews