Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

FBTB Parts Draft: PoP Edition- Tonight's Game Plan

Discussion about front-page features and commentary from FBTB.net. Only forum staff can start topics here, but anyone can reply!

FBTB Parts Draft: PoP Edition- Tonight's Game Plan

Postby Staff » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:52 pm

Tonight we will undertake the first official FBTB Parts Draft! Will it be a huge success, or will we be crushed under the weight of an idea too awesome for it's own good?
Parts Draft: PoP Edition- Sorting Completed!

Whether you are one of the 10 draft participants or just want to spectate tonight, everyone needs to know the game plan:

Some of this info is going to repeat what was posted previously, but it's important stuff and I'll try to be more concise.

What we're drafting: From the Prince of Persia line: ten 7571 Fight for the Dagger and ten 7570 Ostrich Race sets. Each participant is essentially bringing 2 sets to the table. Here is the inventory we are following.
When: 7-10pm PST Wednesday, January 12, 2011
Where: In real life? My Legoratory. Online? In the FBTB IRC chat.
Who: FBTB members Inzane, MisterFubar, J30Spiff, buriedbybricks, doodguy, Daz Hoo, mr_joshua, unmovedmover, Jargon, and Andi.

To Spectators:
-We're going to allow spectating of the event because of the immense amount of curiosity it's garnering across the AFOLtubes. It's new and interesting and it should be fun. But because this is the first time we're all doing this, please bear with us as there will undoubtedly be little kinks to work out throughout the night.
-Spectators will be allowed into the special draft room on IRC, but will not have the ability to post messages while the draft is in progress. Only the organizers and the draft participants will be able to talk, to avoid clutter during the activity. A moderator will field questions that can be answered in the chat between parts choices.

To Participants:
-All participants must be present in the IRC chat at the designated draft time (7 pm PST.)
-The order will be determined by a random drawing of names by me, the draft organizer.
-All participants MUST have an inventory in front of them during the draft. Participants need to cross off items after each person's turn.
-Once the order is decided, the first participant will select a pile of parts, then the second participant chooses, then the third, and so on, until we get to the end of the list. Then we work our way back up the list from bottom to top. Then top to bottom. Continue serpentine until all parts are gone.
-There are 140 lots of pieces, minifigs, and animals. Everyone will have 14 choices.
-No whining. I've tried to make this as fair as possible. If you don't get a part you want, find another part you like.

If this is successful, expect another draft to happen soon!
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2011/01/12/fbtb-parts-draft-pop-edition-tonights-game-plan/
Staff

Re: FBTB Parts Draft: PoP Edition- Tonight's Game Plan

Postby Bubblyhai » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:35 pm

Sounds like fun! Good Luck PPLS!
Bubblyhai

Postby Iare Tosevite » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:13 pm

I will probably come in and watch. :)
Where, where, where is correct way out?
Iare Tosevite

Postby Inzane » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:15 pm

MMMmmm.... Legoratory. (said with Homer like drool...) :p
Inzane

Postby Bubblyhai » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:23 pm

If people wanted.... could they trade after the draft?
Bubblyhai

Postby Chief » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:30 pm

I guess if they wanted to.
Chief

Postby Andi » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:05 am

So sorry that I had to be the proxy one...
Is it maybe possible to re-read how the drafting went? Just being curious, never attended such a draft online or in real
~Andi
Flickr
Andi

Postby MisterFubar » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:17 am

Andi wrote:So sorry that I had to be the proxy one...
Is it maybe possible to re-read how the drafting went? Just being curious, never attended such a draft online or in real

There was a couple minor inventory hiccups where people had just forgot to mark items off on their sheets and tried to draw lots that were already taken. I think a numbered inventory should solve that problem.

The proxy did seem to slow it down a little bit, but I think that was mostly due to the 1 person at the live event pulling all the parts and doing all of the physical work was also the one doing the proxy drawing for you. If someone else had been reading your list it wouldn't have slowed the draft down one bit.

It was a lot fun and I'm glad I participated. The $27 buy-in was worth it just to be a part of it. The box of parts I'll get in the mail is just a huge bonus.

Chief and Ace can't be thanked enough for putting this together.
MisterFubar

Postby J30spiff » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:19 am

The only problem I had was going through the inventory and marking items off items as they were picked. There were a few that I couldn't find on the list, luckily I was interested in them. I agree that having a numbered inventory would solve the inventory issue that I was having and items with multiple lots being numbered separately.

I had a lot of fun doing the draft. I started getting pretty tired as time went on because I'm on the right coast and I spent all day moving snow around. I would definitely do this again.
J30spiff

Postby Daz Hoo » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:04 am

This was totally awesome!

Seriously, I've been drafting before with my fellow QuéLUGgers, and even though this one was done on-line, I had the same fun than when I've done it live. Of course, doing this by chat room required a little more preparation from all the participants, but overall, that helped move the draft along at a good pace (for the first half at the very least).

Anyway, like MisterFubar mentioned, just being a part of that historical event was well worth the 27 bucks, so to me, the booty will just be the extra icing on the cake.
Daz Hoo

Postby Inzane » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:01 am

This was my first ever draft, online or otherwise. And it was a blast!

I hope everyone enjoys their loot.

Thanks again Chief.
Inzane

Postby Chief » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:38 am

So..... did anyone else oversleep and get to work late this morning? :(
Chief

Postby MisterFubar » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:13 pm

Chief wrote:So..... did anyone else oversleep and get to work late this morning? :(

Not I, but I am just a wee bit tired today. 5 came real early and it's been a while since I've ran on less than 5 hours of sleep.
MisterFubar

Postby doodguy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:17 pm

That also was my first draft experience.
I had a blast.
I think Chief has pin pointed the key areas to improve for next time (numbered lots, split lots on seperate lines, limited proxy participants or have a pinch hitter execute the proxy list instead of Chief).
I would highly recommend this to any Lego fan, and would certainly participate again.
doodguy

Postby avsteve » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:27 pm

I gotta say I've never bee invloved in a Draft, (and still won't be, as I have not been arround long enough) But I am still stoled to watch this. Hope it goes well though. Thanks to everyone putting this on.
avsteve

Postby Daz Hoo » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:35 pm

avsteve: not to burst your bubble, but the draft was held yesterday (Jan. 12)...
Daz Hoo

Postby ka.lego » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:47 pm

Wasn't able to watch. How'd it go? From afar, the lots look extremely impressive. Envy was definitely abound.

s.
ka.lego

Postby Chief » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:27 pm

It went really well, better than expected. I'm still recovering, though.

We will definitely be doing it again, with some changes that I think all of us agree will pretty much perfect the process.
Chief

Postby unmovedmover » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:24 pm

I thought I posted a response, but I guess the internet gods ate it...

I can't offer anything new - I had fun, I agree with the changes we all discussed to make the process easier.

Thanks to Chief and the rest of the staff for putting this on - I'd do it again if the parts were appealing.
unmovedmover

Postby mr_joshua » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:24 am

Everything went pretty smoothly from my perspective. The only time I seemed to get hung up was the split lots...I just think I forgot that some were split up and then thought others were split up when they weren't. One thing that really seemed to help me keep track was I had printed out the BL inventories with small thumbnail images. For me it was WAY easier to find which lot someone had chosen than to try and search the condensed list for the part name. On that note, having two separate sets made this method slightly more difficult than if we were splitting up a single set.

The only down side I have noticed to the online method is this...I grabbed a lot of the 6Lbars and wanted to trade a handful of them to the guy who grabbed the 4L bars. In person this would have been easy. Trying to accomplish this here would make Ryan's job that much more time consuming.

As for the whole proxy thing, I don't see why we couldn't just have someone that can join the chat and 'fill in' for the person that cannot attend. This effort would of course need to be handled by the individual submitting the proxy list. For instance, I would be more than happy to take someone's proxy list and participate for them in the draft.

I truly hope I have the opportunity to be a part of future drafts, as this one was pretty fun.

Thanks again Ryan and Ace for putting this together.

Josh
mr_joshua

Next

Return to Community Features