Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Best Ever Year for Lego Star Wars Releases?

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Best Ever Year for Lego Star Wars Releases?

Postby Coret » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:46 pm

I got to go with the infamous 1999, since that was the year we finally were able to compare our limited pieces X-Wings and Falcons to the Lego released things. It's not like we hadn't been saying how awesome Lego Star Wars would have been 8 years before it was ever done.......
Coret

Postby kelano28 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:49 pm

I think I'm going to go with 2009. First, we got the Battle of Endor, one of my favorite sets period. We also got Admiral Ackbar in Home One, the Dropship/AT-OT that still seems underrated to me, and a great minifig Tantive IV. Throw in the AAT, RAS, and Separtist Shuttle (which gave us a contest!) and we have a great year. Not to mention the midi-falcon which started a new line of sets.

Of course, 2008's Death Star makes the decision tough..
kelano28

Postby Darth Mitz » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:15 pm

the introduction of the UCS sets in 2000 would have to be the year for me even though I didn't rediscover LEGO till 2003 - it was the X-Wing that did it.
Darth Mitz

Postby Witebobafett99 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:41 pm

I'm going to make this short, 1999!! XD
Witebobafett99

Postby Robzula » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:14 pm

2006, hands down. We got a V-Wing, every main Rebel Ship (minus the Y-Wing), the coolest TIE-series fighter, plus the absolutely freaking beautiful Slave 1 and Khetanna and the cool as heck ImpStar (by the way, the only time it's ever broken on me was when I tried to hang it from the two end and it caved in the middle, and I swoosh it quite often).
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby Drock » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:30 pm

Robzula wrote: Khetanna

The what?
Drock

Postby Dr.Lego » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:03 pm

I'd have to go with either 2008 or 2005.
The years where a movie gets released or something is always a big year.
1999- We got alot of stuff however the models were um eehh.
2002- We got the gunship,AT-TE, and Jango's slave 1. Not to mention the good ol' clones.
2005- This year was EPIK!!! Turbo Tank, Wookiee Catamran and Flutter ship, Arc-170, Ultimate Space battle + Grievous and EP.3 clones.
2008- Remodeled gunship, AAT, and AT-TE. Droid gunship finally got made, and phase 1 clones became abundant. Also, the death star was made this year!!!!

I've got to admit the years that something gets released are always epik but '05 and '08 are the best out of the 4.
Yep that's right. No links!!
Dr.Lego

Postby Robzula » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:08 pm

Drock wrote:
Robzula wrote: Khetanna

The what?

The Khetanna

(that new layout on Wookieepedia is AWFUL)
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby KarolRabalski » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:13 pm

1999 for me.

I still have my original 7141 Naboo Fighter (only missing one piece!), it was the very first LEGO Star Wars set I got as a kid, and I remember I was really happy becuase my parents never bought me LEGO becuase it was expensive. Also, looking back I kind of like the classic stud look on a lot of the sets. Now they're incorporated tiles into everything. Don't get me wrong it looks more authentic and stuff, but you gotta love the classic LEGO stud look.

Throughout it's run they've had great waves of cool sets all over the place though.
----like spinning plates---------
KarolRabalski

Postby Crusader » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:52 pm

2006. Up until then I had a acquired a few sets over the years, but 2006 was truly the year that my Dark Age ended. My oldest son turned five that year so it was much easier for me to justify buying Lego. Many of the sets that year were also of ships that either were never made by Kenner back in the 80's or I was simply too old for them by the time they showed up on shelves. So 2006 was a glorious blend of nostalgia and 20 odd years of longing. The B-wing is to this day, my favorite ship to swoosh.
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative." - G.K. Chesterton
Crusader

Postby that guy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:54 pm

Well I definitely have to go with 2004. I love the 4504, who doesn't love Mos Eisley, the 4502 X-wing and two great UCS ships (Snowspeeder, and y-wing). Even 10131 was a great set for the price back then. That being said, 2005 was a pure indulgence year with the Ep3 sets plus the Sandcrawler. As for those siding with 99', yeah it was the beginning but with rare exception, the sets were unrefined and a little lacking (yes I'm aware I'll catch H$LL for saying that) but hey, opinions are like....well you know the saying. XD
that guy

Postby onions » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:08 am

Robzula wrote:2006, hands down. We got a V-Wing, every main Rebel Ship (minus the Y-Wing), the coolest TIE-series fighter, plus the absolutely freaking beautiful Slave 1 and Khetanna and the cool as heck ImpStar (by the way, the only time it's ever broken on me was when I tried to hang it from the two end and it caved in the middle, and I swoosh it quite often).

i dunno if starting off your reasoning with the v-wing was such a great idea.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby xwingyoda » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:26 am

For me thats really a tough question. If I put forward the sentimental factor I would go with 2002, year I came out of my dark age thanks to Final duel I and II.

But I will go with 2004 with amazing OT sets: Falcon, AT-AT, Snowspeeder, Dagobah X-Wing and Tie Collection :p
xwingyoda

Postby ktonlai » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:33 am

onions wrote:
Robzula wrote:2006, hands down. We got a V-Wing, every main Rebel Ship (minus the Y-Wing), the coolest TIE-series fighter, plus the absolutely freaking beautiful Slave 1 and Khetanna and the cool as heck ImpStar (by the way, the only time it's ever broken on me was when I tried to hang it from the two end and it caved in the middle, and I swoosh it quite often).

i dunno if starting off your reasoning with the v-wing was such a great idea.

LOL that's what i was thinking.. then i thought he mighta mistook it for something else =P
ktonlai

Postby OOM-9 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:47 am

Ooh that's a tough question. I'm going with 1999. This year brings back a lot of memories of getting the first Star Wars sets from LEGO and it was also a good year in my life for getting other LEGO sets too. I am glad for 2007 aswell because LEGO re-designed the MTT which hasn't been taken apart since I got it.
OOM-9

Postby Diaaabo » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:28 am

I'd say 2009, when I got out of my dark ages with beautiful sets like Battle of Endor, Battle of Hoth, the new Clone Wars stuff... and I think 2007 was also a great year with sets like the motorized AT-AT or the MTT.
Diaaabo

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:42 am

For me it's 2008 since it had some of my all-time favorite sets such as the DS, RGS, and Fighter tank!
Oky Wan Kenobi

Postby Darth Jaydi » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:28 am

I agree with Onions (and Robzila). 2006 was the year, the v-wing not so much but the others. Altough I also think that each year is getting better. The sets are still coming out and since kids are getting older and getting out of Lego, I find great deals each summer at the Garage Sales!
Darth Jaydi

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:01 pm

Inversely, what does everyone think about the WORST year for LSW?

I'd say 2002, because we saw many of the worst sets come from there. 2010 is the worst for ridiculous prices.
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby that guy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:06 pm

ThatGuyWithTheBricks wrote:Inversely, what does everyone think about the WORST year for LSW?

I'd say 2002, because we saw many of the worst sets come from there. 2010 is the worst for ridiculous prices.

I agree with 2010 being the worst. Horrible battle packs, Freeco Speed (need I say more), alliance tank (except for the jetpacks), TIE Defender (REALLY??). We did however get a very playable Slave 1 & Turbo tank, and some decent minifigs but overall 2010 made like a Dyson and SUCKED!
that guy

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars