Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Cyber Monday Deals 2009

Post your sales news here. Open forum. No Special Access Required!

Re: LEGO Cyber Monday Deals 2009

Postby ricefields » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:39 am

Ebay is fine, but members could offer to other members first who cannot partake in the US deals if they got two sets and want to get rid of one! I would be willing to pay extra!
ricefields

Postby BrickSith206 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:58 am

Honestly, I do not see what all the fuss is about reselling or "deal gloating." Considering this is a Finds/Deals forum, I would think it perfectly acceptable to post a story about scoring a UCS Millenium Falcon for $100 (hypothetical situation) for a few reasons: 1. The name of this section of the forum would suggest it would be ok here. 2. You want to share sweet scores with other enthusiasts that can directly relate to your sweet score. Sure, when you tell your mother or wife they might placate you with a "that's nice dear," because they do not love you enough to be honest and tell you they really do not care. 3. It gives a member here a chance to contact that particular person to see if perhaps they'd sell it to them before unloading it on the open market.

My honest opinion on why people bag on resellers? Resentment. This will sound folksy to most, but in the game of life there are players and spectators. The spectators always want to play the game but are too paralyzed by the fear of failure, some actually get in the game, but most sit on the sidelines and criticize the players.

"You do not know what it's like to win until you have failed."

Lastly, if I remember correctly, there was a thread on "sweet scores" on the old boards that ranged from people "gloating" about every kind of find, from venues like from big box stores to yard sales. Perhaps in the interest of curtailing the "gloating" that goes on in this forum, a new one could be created, or sticky a thread like the last board.
Do something.
BrickSith206

Postby ricefields » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:49 am

BrickSith206 wrote:3. It gives a member here a chance to contact that particular person to see if perhaps they'd sell it to them before unloading it on the open market.

And I would be the first to say that I contacted many members to buy those sets off them or help me obtained them since canadians are left out in many cases. Members should definitely not be afraid to ask and obviously members are not obligated to help but by posting, you have to expect the PMs. Good thing they now restricted this forum to adults as I used to contact members about serious deals but they turn out to be kids who were not in the position to help. Thanks to those that have helped me in the past!
ricefields

Postby onions » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:51 am

BrickSith206 wrote:Honestly, I do not see what all the fuss is about reselling or "deal gloating." Considering this is a Finds/Deals forum, I would think it perfectly acceptable to post a story about scoring a UCS Millenium Falcon for $100 (hypothetical situation) for a few reasons: 1. The name of this section of the forum would suggest it would be ok here. 2. You want to share sweet scores with other enthusiasts that can directly relate to your sweet score. Sure, when you tell your mother or wife they might placate you with a "that's nice dear," because they do not love you enough to be honest and tell you they really do not care. 3. It gives a member here a chance to contact that particular person to see if perhaps they'd sell it to them before unloading it on the open market.

ALL WRONG. The point of Finds/Deals is that if a member runs across a find or a deal (which practically mean the same thing), said member can share the information in hopes that other members may be able to find the same deal and share in the good fortune. ricefield's post about the odd Target pricing is a prime example of that. the point of this board is not to brag about what you found to resell on ebay or how much money you made.

BrickSith206 wrote:My honest opinion on why people bag on resellers? Resentment. This will sound folksy to most, but in the game of life there are players and spectators. The spectators always want to play the game but are too paralyzed by the fear of failure, some actually get in the game, but most sit on the sidelines and criticize the players.

"You do not know what it's like to win until you have failed."

We already had a discussion on this: A digression on scalping

BrickSith206 wrote:Lastly, if I remember correctly, there was a thread on "sweet scores" on the old boards that ranged from people "gloating" about every kind of find, from venues like from big box stores to yard sales. Perhaps in the interest of curtailing the "gloating" that goes on in this forum, a new one could be created, or sticky a thread like the last board.

Lastly, what's in the past is in the past. We've changed a lot of things when we upgraded to FBTB 3.0. And if Finds/Deals digresses into more gloating, I will not hesitate to shut it down permanently.

No one likes a braggart, plain and simple.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Draykov » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:53 pm

BrickSith206 wrote:...when you tell your mother or wife they might placate you with a "that's nice dear," because they do not love you enough to be honest and tell you they really do not care.

If I tell you "I don't care" it's generally not because I love you.

On the topic at hand, think of the Finds/Deals forum as less of a WWE Cage Match and more of an English gentlemen's game of cricket. Boasting is simply bad form, old bean.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Previous

Return to Finds/Deals