In June, I applied to be a Model Builder
at Legoland California. Ever since landing one of the positions, it's been a whirlwind few months of relocating my family, learning a whole new city, and training in the ways of professional Lego model building.
Now could be your chance... sort of.
Our model shop is looking for a Model Animation Tech Fabricator, an intense steel fabrication position key to the large models you see in Legoland and other attractions around the world.
Hit the jump for more:
You can access the job posting by clicking here
, then selecting "Creative/Design" in the JOB CATEGORY window, then searching. Model Animation Tech Fabricator
will be the sole open position you can view. Or you can type 180 in the Job ID space.
Here's the entire listing:
This individual must be able to design and fabricate steel armatures, frames, supports and mounting hardware for large scale LEGO models. Must be able to read CAD drawings for fabrication. Works with Model Designers to bring models to “life” with automated, timed and triggered effects, utilizing air, motors, AV equipment, lighting equipment and programmable logic controllers for electromechanical components and animatronics for LEGO models. This position requires strong communication during design and building of models, good organization during the completion and documentation phases of the projects and a willingness to complete all tasks necessary to creating and installing models and displays.
Minimum 4 years of experience in Steel Fabrication. Electromechanical experience and knowledge of pneumatic control systems helpful but not required.
1. Designs and fabricates steel armatures, frames, supports and mounting hardware for 2d and 3d LEGO models from supplied Steel Fabrication Worksheets within time allocated, with superior craftsmanship and quality to the best of their abilities.
2. Communicates with Lead Animator, Supervisor and/or Project Designer during the Model Brief and as questions or challenges arise.
3. Reads CAD drawings for steel designs and fabricates according to specs provided.
4. Coordinates with other Animation Technicians on steel, and mechanical needs for both static and animated models.
5. Creates drawings for steel and documents designs and determines steel requirements.
6. Fabricates steel projects in a timely and safe manner, following guidelines and training in design, production, techniques, documentation, standards and policies.
7. Communicates with Lead Animator and Designers to make sure steel designs meets expectations and requirements.
8. Inspects projects to ensure a sturdy, high quality, safe design that has everything it needs for installation completed.
9. Completes Steel Fabrication Worksheets with all information related to projects. Immediately identifies management of safety related concerns and keeps safety #1 priority.
10. Must be able to react under pressure or in an emergency in a calm and rational manner.
11. Ensures that all work areas are kept clean, neat and orderly at all times.
If you're interested, apply ASAP!