Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Outer-Space Station Plans - Woman's Day Magazine - NOV '78

It's like the old BCS, except the 2.0 makes it fancy. Wondering why you can't post here? Check out the rules and expectations, and it all should be made clear...

Outer-Space Station Plans - Woman's Day Magazine - NOV '78

Postby Draykov » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:40 pm

I may be dating myself by asking this, and I didn't think this quite fit in the "Star Wars" section since strictly speaking, these plans had no direct connection to Star Wars other than the resulting construct was geared for use with 3 3/4" space figs...but...

...does anyone else remember the "Outer-Space Station" building plans from the November 20, 1978 issue of Woman's Day? My folks ordered me a set of plans, but sadly, it was a big tease because dad wasn't much for carpentry or pains in the butt in the name of making his spoiled son happy and I wasn't exactly encouraged to give it a go on my own.

I stumbled across this site by pure chance and was hit with a wave of nostalgia and felt compelled to share. I spent hours marveling over how awesome this space station was when i was a kid.

Hail Space!
Draykov

Re: Outer-Space Station Plans - Woman's Day Magazine - NOV '

Postby Mofo Jones » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:02 am

Are you sure that wasn't in a Buck Rogers episode? The design is cool, but it just screams "DISCO ERA!" :)
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby Draykov » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:43 am

Well, it was of that era. Note the prolific placement of Kenner SW figures and Mego Micronauts figures in the photos. The Buck Rogers movie with Gil Gerard (the one that led to the TV series) came out in 1979, and this "project" came out the year before, so...definitely of the era.

Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Mofo Jones » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:46 pm

I saw that Buck Rogers movie in the theater in 1979 - I was 7. And yes, the space station looks like half the setups in the Sears and JC Penney catalogs of the time.

Oh, and I think those jumpsuits are more mid-70s...I don't recall bell-bottomed anything being around by 1978-79.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby Draykov » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:02 pm

That was more just for laughs. :)
Hail Space!
Draykov

Return to BCS 2.0