Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Studs Comic #3

Discussion about front-page features and commentary from FBTB.net. Only forum staff can start topics here, but anyone can reply!

Studs Comic #3

Postby Staff » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:00 am

We're two days late, but here you go. We'll resume our regular storyline Wednesday.

LEGO Universe was a funny product. I don't mean ha-ha funny, more like what-the-heck-was-it-trying-to-be kind of funny. It was a game where children (presumably their target market) could go online, explore a virtual world, complete quests and vanquish enemies. Sounds like any other MMO game until you get to the part where you can take virtual bricks you collect throughout the game and build something. It sounds like a good idea, but the reality is that LEGO created a game that was basically competing against LEGO itself. The amount of time that an MMO requires by its very nature is time taken away from kids playing with their real life LEGO collection. Add a monthly subscription fee that could have been spent on LEGO sets and you create situation where children would have to choose between playing a game or building with LEGO and where parents would have to choose between paying a fee every month or purchase a set once that can last for years. Also, there wasn't exactly a hole in the market for MMO's targeted to children. And even if there was, the demand couldn't have been too high. Of course, this is all just MY opinion. But I honestly couldn't see the game succeeding. And $50 million dollars later, sadly, I was right.

The silver lining in all this? Galidor is STILL LEGO's most embarrassing mistake.

Anyways, enough of my long-windedness. The game closes on January 30th, 2012.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/01/20/studs-comic-3/
Staff

Re: Studs Comic #3

Postby woodypop » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:00 pm

Pretty much offtopic, but that image of Cable in the background: where's it from? It looks pretty cool.
woodypop

Postby Rook » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:46 pm

Ah so sad but true! :lol:
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby Chief » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:07 pm

This was my favorite of the 3 so far :)
Chief

Postby Stardusty » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:15 pm

Ok, these are definately my favorite LEGO connected comics/funnies.
This one was great.
Stardusty

Postby L.D.M. » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:36 pm

I loved Galidor as a kid. Watched every episode several times (I think I still have them recorded), and had all the sets between me and my brother. :D

Never got around to playing Lego Universe, though. I have the disk...
L.D.M.

Return to Community Features