Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Send A Card, Give A Child A Toy! [PLEASE READ!]

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Send A Card, Give A Child A Toy! [PLEASE READ!]

Postby fatflash1423 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:37 pm

Last edited by fatflash1423 on Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fatflash1423

Postby lemons » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:56 pm

thanks for streamlining the e-card process FBTB! It's awesome that LEGO is willing give to so many kids in need. I unfortunately don't have the capacity to run a contest to generate interest, but I'll be spreading the word through my Star Wars LEGO blog as well.

Merry Christmas everyone!
“You don’t need to see his identification … These aren’t the droids you’re looking for … He can go about his business … Move along.”

LEGO Star Wars blog.
lemons

Postby onions » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:08 pm

we're pressing on until either we hit 1mil, or the clock ticks to december 24th and they shut the site down, whichever happens first.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby onions » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:29 pm

a bit of an update:

http://www.fbtb.net/2011/12/08/update-on-toys-for-tots/

tl;dr

i suspect they stopped outgoing emails. "the guns.... they've stopped..."

at least until they figure out someother way to not be forced to donate toys as quickly.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby onions » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:50 pm

i sent an email from my yahoo account to that address and it went through fine. i suspect they either suspended all outgoing emails or turned off that functionality completely for the time being until they can figure out a solution.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby etcknight » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:10 pm

I'm still doing the same thing as before, and it says "Your message had been sent" - even using the "Back" button. Are the messages not really being sent?
etcknight

Postby GroudonMan » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:11 pm

Has it yet been tested whether they are blocking ALL outgoing greetings, or whether it's just to the giveaways? If it's the latter, is it blocking going to the fbtb.net domain or just that one address?
GroudonMan

Postby buriedbybricks » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:14 pm

I've tried sending them to and from multiple accounts and have recieved nothing.
buriedbybricks

Postby goshe7 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:15 pm

onions wrote:a bit of an update:

http://www.fbtb.net/2011/12/08/update-on-toys-for-tots/

tl;dr

i suspect they stopped outgoing emails. "the guns.... they've stopped..."

at least until they figure out someother way to not be forced to donate toys as quickly.

So, if I read the update correctly, there isn't any point in sending emails to [email protected] t for the time being. I'll leave my bot running overnight anyways. I'm not getting a lot of undeliverable errors or any other indication they are failing. Per one of the earlier email posts I did slow down the pace of sending. (But really why would LEGO want this? As you say, let us finish off the fun and traffic will drop to minimal in just a few days.)

I don't think the "quickly" portion should be an issue. It's Dec 8, or 1/3 of the way to the 24th. Count is around 360k, or 1/3 of the way to 1M. So we are just on pace with earned value. :)
goshe7

Postby goshe7 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:16 pm

buriedbybricks wrote:I've tried sending them to and from multiple accounts and have recieved nothing.

Oops. Me too. I periodically ping myself with a card to make sure everything is runnign well. The last couple sent (since this AM) haven't shown up.
goshe7

Postby onions » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:31 pm

probably a good idea to turn off any bots you guys have running until we can confirm that messages are once again being sent out. like i said, they may be figuring out other measures to prevent bot spamming.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Astrote713 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:33 pm

Have you gotten any from me recently? I haven't got any error, or any coming back to me recently. And the site is not telling me anything about a three email limit, so I'm still sending.
Astrote713

Postby Cad Bane » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:40 pm

Well, there's some good news for the tots. StarWars.com has an article: http://starwars.com/news/legosantayoda.html that promotes the cause. Hopefully more people will hear about this through that website and send their 3 e-greetings. While this doesn't help the contest, it will hopefully ensure that the number of toys steadily rises despite our efforts being prevented.
Cad Bane

Postby onions » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:48 pm

Astrote713 wrote:Have you gotten any from me recently? I haven't got any error, or any coming back to me recently. And the site is not telling me anything about a three email limit, so I'm still sending.

no, like i said, all outgoing mail has stopped. try sending some to yourself to see if you get any.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby onions » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:58 pm

Cad Bane wrote:Well, there's some good news for the tots. StarWars.com has an article: http://starwars.com/news/legosantayoda.html that promotes the cause. Hopefully more people will hear about this through that website and send their 3 e-greetings. While this doesn't help the contest, it will hopefully ensure that the number of toys steadily rises despite our efforts being prevented.

that's an old article and was published when the site went live. and by all accounts, didn't have much of an impact.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Cad Bane » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:06 pm

Sorry, I guess I didn't read it that well, but it must have been updated because it mentions the 3 email limit that seems to be one of the new complications our efforts. It made the front page of the website however, which is why I mentioned it...
Cad Bane

Postby Chief » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:08 pm

Alright, I've got a weird problem now. I've sent and received to myself in the past 10 minutes, but it would not finish sending each email from the site until the youtube video had finished playing. Is this just some weird lag in my browser, or the latest "fix" from Lego?
Chief

Postby Walter Boy » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:10 pm

Has anyone been sending me any? I've only received a total of one letter, but I'd gladly open more.

Once my semester ends I'll try to get around to sending more out, in any way I can!

Keep it up guys, you're real inspiring. :)
Walter Boy

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars