Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[SW] Darth Vader's TIE advanced x1

Got an awesome creation that you'd like to share with the community? We want to see it! This is also where to post your WIPs and techniques to brainstorm with other builders.

[SW] Darth Vader's TIE advanced x1

Postby IMPERIAL FLEET » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:51 am

Spent 2 long months building this model. Let me know what you guys think!Image

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64104767@N ... 325852407/
IMPERIAL FLEET

Re: [SW] Darth Vader's TIE advanced x1

Postby fallenangel327 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:06 pm

The SNOT work is incredible, but what's up with the tiny cockpit ball? The pylons look enormous relative to it.
fallenangel327

Postby star wars envy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:03 pm

Looks great...any others in the works?
star wars envy

Postby lowlead » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:50 pm

In short, this is a great TIE Advanced. The overall look and detail certainly suggests you spent hours and days getting it just right.
fallenangel327 wrote:The SNOT work is incredible, but what's up with the tiny cockpit ball? The pylons look enormous relative to it.

I'm forced to agree. Although many TIE MOCs, mine included, have the same issue. It's challenging to get the pronounced sphere shape of the TIE cockpits - at this scale especially.

That said, it's still one of the best out there. Great work.
lowlead

Postby onions » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:11 pm

i can't wait to see this updated with the new tie ball cockpit. very nice work.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Sydag » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:24 am

this is just incredibly amazing, congrats on this !
Sydag
Mashup Man

Postby IMPERIAL FLEET » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:41 am

Thanks for the comments everyone. I have already begun working on the TIE avenger in this style. I am kind of torn about the newer ball cockpits in the upcoming sets. They look a little odd to me but the functionality of them is a little better. I guess we will have to just wait and see. I should put two standard TIEs with this one and do a huge death star trench layout! XD
IMPERIAL FLEET

Postby IMPERIAL FLEET » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:55 am

fallenangel327 wrote:The SNOT work is incredible, but what's up with the tiny cockpit ball? The pylons look enormous relative to it.

Due to the structure holding up the solar panels, this was the best I could come up with. I had ideas for smaller, thinner pylons but they did not work. So with that said, this will have to do for now. As for the tiny cockpit ball, I based the size of the cockpit around the printed circle of the windscreen. I do not count the transparent area around the printing as part of the windscreen but more as part of the cockpit itself. I wish I could paint it but I'm a die hard purist. Thanks for the feedback though! I will take it all into consideration on my upcoming TIE avenger!
IMPERIAL FLEET

Postby IMPERIAL FLEET » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:00 am

onions wrote:i can't wait to see this updated with the new tie ball cockpit. very nice work.

I am also curious about how those will look. They are a little bulbous and I wish the printing went to the edges instead of just in the middle like the old boxy styled ones. The plus side of those is the fact that it looks like it will be easier to get that "spheracle shape". I will do some tests with some clear ones I already have just to see how it will all work out.
IMPERIAL FLEET

Postby IMPERIAL FLEET » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:02 am

lowlead wrote:In short, this is a great TIE Advanced. The overall look and detail certainly suggests you spent hours and days getting it just right.

I'm forced to agree. Although many TIE MOCs, mine included, have the same issue. It's challenging to get the pronounced sphere shape of the TIE cockpits - at this scale especially.

That said, it's still one of the best out there. Great work.

Agreed! Thank you! :D
IMPERIAL FLEET

Postby Brainslugged » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:41 am

Great - you've just managed to ruin the upcoming 2012 tie fighter for me cos your one looks ABSOLUTELY AWESOME.
Brainslugged

Postby fallenangel327 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:01 am

IMPERIAL FLEET wrote:Due to the structure holding up the solar panels, this was the best I could come up with. I had ideas for smaller, thinner pylons but they did not work. So with that said, this will have to do for now. As for the tiny cockpit ball, I based the size of the cockpit around the printed circle of the windscreen. I do not count the transparent area around the printing as part of the windscreen but more as part of the cockpit itself. I wish I could paint it but I'm a die hard purist. Thanks for the feedback though! I will take it all into consideration on my upcoming TIE avenger!

I think the pylons look fantastic; those should be left as is. The best thing to do would be to increase the radius of the cockpit ball in accordance with this picture; the pylons look to be about the right size relative to the viewport, but the ball itself isn’t massive enough. Perhaps you could have the one-stud strips on either side of the windscreen piece protrude more so that they appear to be part of the cockpit, as in David Low’s rendition. :)

As for lowlead’s TIE fighter, I think the issue with that particular MOC was that the pylons were oversized relative to the craft as a whole, though the cockpit ball was fairly well done.
fallenangel327

Postby IMPERIAL FLEET » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:17 pm

I agree about the cockpit ball as I go back and look at reference pics. Hopefully I can pull this off with my upcoming TIE avenger.
IMPERIAL FLEET

Postby IMPERIAL FLEET » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:19 pm

Brainslugged wrote:Great - you've just managed to ruin the upcoming 2012 tie fighter for me cos your one looks ABSOLUTELY AWESOME.

Thank you so much! The upcoming one isn't that bad. The wings are atleast cool (SNOT would be better)and the new dome piece for the windscreen is interesting. Atleast its a good set to pull parts from or modify!
IMPERIAL FLEET

Postby fallenangel327 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:07 pm

IMPERIAL FLEET wrote:I agree about the cockpit ball as I go back and look at reference pics. Hopefully I can pull this off with my upcoming TIE avenger.

I'll be looking forward to that then. Good luck!

Which version of the TIE Avenger are you planning to build? There exist at least two variations...
fallenangel327

Postby IMPERIAL FLEET » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:58 pm

I am assuming the TIE ad. The TIE advanced is more similar to the advanced x1 correct?
IMPERIAL FLEET

Postby fallenangel327 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:53 pm

According to current sources, the term "TIE Advanced" can refer to a number of models including the TIE/ad and the x1. ;) Unless you're referring to the "TIE Advanced" from the original TIE Fighter game, in which case you would be correct.

So... this version, this version, or this version? :lol:
fallenangel327

Postby IMPERIAL FLEET » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:20 pm

fallenangel327 wrote:According to current sources, the term "TIE Advanced" can refer to a number of models including the TIE/ad and the x1. ;) Unless you're referring to the "TIE Advanced" from the original TIE Fighter game, in which case you would be correct.

So... this version, this version, or this version? :lol:

I will most likely be doing the second one of the three choices you showed. The first one looks the best but I have only seen that one image of it. Looks as if it has warhead launchers on the top parts of the wings. I need to do some more research. Again, this one is going to take a while to build :D
IMPERIAL FLEET

Postby vynsane » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:00 pm

The detailing on this is fantastic. I dig the relatively small 'cockpit ball' comparative to the wing pylons, it looks even more aggressive like this. I agree with fallenangel327, though, that the windscreen looks to be the correct size, it's just the surrounding hull that isn't as thick as it should be.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Brickset reviews
vynsane

Postby volumex » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:39 pm

This is very nice, the effort in detail is top notch... I wanna build one, one day... ;)
volumex

Next

Return to LEGO MOC Showcase