Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

MOC Madness 2011 Tournament Underway: Group Pool Play

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: MOC Madness 2011 Tournament Underway: Group Pool Play

Postby onions » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:06 am

who the heck is aura sin?
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Solo » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:43 am

Image
Solo

Postby ted @ndes » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:07 am

I was keeping the tank description simple, and wasn't going to go into all the different varieties of them or their effectiveness. That wasn't the point, or to get personal in any way. The point I wanted to make is that at least tanks do exist in SW and are at least a 'plausable' technology to use (unlike perphaps using teleporters or missles in SW).

On lightsabers, for another light saber user to show up during the bounty hunter scene in the movie, during Empire Strikes Back, when they keep saying all jedi are supposed to be dead would have derailed the entire story.
ted @ndes
Alpha Male

Postby ka.lego » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:24 pm

Once again a great competition. Lots of great entries. I'm particularly intrigued by some of the more oddly shaped ones. Trying to find more Star Wars-y looking ones is a little tricky, I think. I mean, with each new movie (in order of release) Lucas and company kept pushing the envelope and adding new shapes to the mix. I guess maybe there's a *general* throughline most of the time, but sometimes ships seem to create completely new silhouettes and feature new tech. I mean before there was a desert skiff in VI, for example, there really wasn't a precedent in IV and V...looking at the Tatooine vehicles like the landspeeder or the skyhopper, it's not like the Ep VI crew based the skiff on those. In other words, I think it's relatively open ended. And then there were the prequels, which, again, just expanded the definition of what was a Star Wars-y ship, with things like the Naboo Shuttle. To use the metaphor from "The People vs. George Lucas", Star Wars is Lucas inviting us to "play in his sandbox." So yeah, I appreciate when folks give us their unique vision and find it hard to say *that's SW* or *that's not SW*. Anyhoo, I love the variety and the skill folks demonstrate in their MOCs. I think I'd get bored if people felt constrained by a general aesthetic.
ka.lego

Postby captain sambuca » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:56 pm

Veynom wrote:For this first round, I have simply voted for the "best looking Star Wars ships" but for the next round, I will purposely not vote for ships that use a box or a tank as a prison.

will the third photo be visible for the next rounds? i've not thought up a policy for it or anything, but as part of the build this was a great challenge, as it was something really different- so it'd be good to see everyone's solutions before voting! mind you- i'm a teensy bit disappointed no one thought to use those magnet pieces to magically detain minifigure fridge magnets. i wish i'd thought of that Before submitting my entry!

i tell you what- for future competitions i'd love to see new criteria added in for each subsequent round... give anyone surviving a week to add some new mystery element to their spaceship- an escape pod maybe, or a droid slot, or a secret weapon or whatever... so builders have to quickly adapt and improve.
upping the ante like that could really challenge the best builders- and boy, are there a lot of good builders in this competition! fairplay! i saw the 2010 entrants the other day and although that was impressive, things seem to have really moved on this time.

genius stuff

super impressed with everything here: the turnout, the quality, the excitement. good work.

i wonder what would've happened if the total number of entries wasn't divisible by four?
captain sambuca

Postby onions » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:59 pm

the leftovers get thrown into a pool regardless, so some pools would have more than others. last year's tournament we had something like 89 entrants, and one pool had one extra person.

had the number of entries hit 100 or more, there would have been some madness as the pool structure would have been a little different. maybe next year.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby hatcher » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:13 pm

What happens if there is a tie for the 8th position in one or more of the pools? Just curious.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who can understand binary, and those that can't.
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you, you are locked up in here with me!" - Rorshach, Watchmen.
hatcher

Postby ted @ndes » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:41 pm

hatcher wrote:What happens if there is a tie for the 8th position in one or more of the pools? Just curious.

That did happen last year. If I counted correctly, it looks like it happened again this year too. They do a staff poll to do the tie-break.
ted @ndes
Alpha Male

Postby Adrian Industries » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:13 pm

So when is it going to be updated?
Adrian Industries

Postby volumex » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:35 pm

Very surprised at some of the results, everybody who made the cut WELL DONE! and to those including myself WELL DONE AGAIN for entering, sure had a blast chaps!
volumex

Postby ForestFeller » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:07 am

Yay, I got in! :D I was worried that I wouldn't make it, but I guess my fears were unfounded.

Question: How do you guys choose who goes with who in what bracket? Is it just random?
ForestFeller

Postby Lazerblade » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:19 am

ForestFeller wrote:Yay, I got in! :D I was worried that I wouldn't make it, but I guess my fears were unfounded.

Question: How do you guys choose who goes with who in what bracket? Is it just random?

1st and 5th, 2nd and 6th, 3rd and 7th, 4th and 8th?

:lol: Just an idea.
Lazerblade

Postby Walter Boy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:49 am

Congrats to those who made it into the top 8 of each pool! Looking forward to the next rounds of voting! :)
Walter Boy

Postby zhouston » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:12 pm

ForestFeller wrote:Question: How do you guys choose who goes with who in what bracket? Is it just random?

well if it's anything like most sports brackets it will be 1st and 8th, 2nd and 7th, 3rd and 6th, 4th and 5th. however I'm not sure if they are mixing up the individual regionals or not. I guess we'll find out tonight
zhouston
David

Postby onions » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:10 pm

zhouston wrote:
ForestFeller wrote:Question: How do you guys choose who goes with who in what bracket? Is it just random?

well if it's anything like most sports brackets it will be 1st and 8th, 2nd and 7th, 3rd and 6th, 4th and 5th. however I'm not sure if they are mixing up the individual regionals or not. I guess we'll find out tonight

ding ding ding!

and yes, we will be mixing up the brackets so you'll be competing against mocs from other regions.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Adrian Industries » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:01 am

When's the next round?
Adrian Industries

Postby onions » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:52 am

as soon as don fixes his broken computer and comes back online as he is handling updating the tournament bracket graphic.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Solo » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:45 am

Yeah, sorry about that everyone, some unforeseen (and unrelated) computer issues have put me offline at home for the past two nights. Almost back up to speed though so just hang tight.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Daiman » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:36 pm

Something to remember over the coming weeks.

Daiman

Postby Lazerblade » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:39 pm

Solo wrote:Yeah, sorry about that everyone, some unforeseen (and unrelated) computer issues have put me offline at home for the past two nights. Almost back up to speed though so just hang tight.

Glad to see you back up and running. ;)
Lazerblade

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds