Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Star Wars On Blu-Ray Up For Pre-order

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Star Wars On Blu-Ray Up For Pre-order

Postby Robzula » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:00 pm

AT39 wrote:So. Watched New Hope and Empire with a bunch of my buddies last night and even though we knew it was coming, we stopped and rewound and replayed Obi-Wan's new Krayt Dragon call. We simply could not stop laughing, it's just awful! Obi-wan sounds like such a d-bag now :lol:

Went to Walmart and around town in costume with some friends for the release and we were making/mocking that call all throughout the parking lots.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:44 am

Blacknight wrote:Check out the hideous case art for this set: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/31409 ... -on-report

It seems the artistic cardboard case has been scrapped. Or is it a US-only thing?

Both the UK and the German edition appear to use regular trans-blue plastic trays for the discs. The artwork has moved into the booklet, which is actually how I prefer it.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51g-rA0575L.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/714kxI%2BfiJL.jpg

It's about time I go and buy myself a Blu-ray player...
Gingerbeard Man

Postby cas » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:59 am

The US has the cardboard cases with the artwork, many other regions get the blue-styled cases.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby thepatient » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:00 am

Watched Ep.I and then watched the bonus discs.

The movie's picture quality is fantastic. I thought the picture was good on DVD; playing with my BR player on the high-def TV, but comparing the DVD and the Blue-Ray, The Blue ray picture is far superior. I noticed the "E.T.s" in the senate for the first time. The colors are great in this one too. I'm watching the movies in order of I to VI, so I'm looking forward to the picture quality that the OT has to offer.

The bonus discs are good, but much of it isn't in high definition. The 97 minutes of spoofs are great, even Star wars LEGO makes an appearance (Eddie Izzard/ Death Star cantina). All the language is bleeped out. My son watched it with me and he can't stop saying, "Go for Papa Palpatine." and " Owani achoo wookie nipple pinchy."
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Postby Mister Ed » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:15 am

thepatient wrote: I noticed the "E.T.s" in the senate for the first time.

I don't think that's a picture quality issue. I noticed them watching the movie on a very OLD television, off a VHS tape. ;)
Mister Ed

Postby thepatient » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:06 pm

In a sense it is picture quality. I checked the old DVD (I was wondering if that was one of the new "add-ins"). I have noticed that the scene is slightly darker and it is brighter on the Blue-Ray version. More importantly, since the picture is better I tend to look at the backgrounds more and catch little details like that.

I'm sure I'm way behind on the power curve on stuff in the background these days.
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Postby Draykov » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:32 am

I think I'm going to spend my money on a DVD copy of "The People vs. George Lucas" instead of the SW Blu-Ray discs. For my money, that's the better investment.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby onions » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:21 am

Draykov wrote:I think I'm going to spend my money on a DVD copy of "The People vs. George Lucas" instead of the SW Blu-Ray discs. For my money, that's the better investment.

is that out on dvd yet?

edit: a quick search on amazon yields a preorder page with a release date of October 25
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby buriedbybricks » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:44 pm

onions wrote:
Draykov wrote:I think I'm going to spend my money on a DVD copy of "The People vs. George Lucas" instead of the SW Blu-Ray discs. For my money, that's the better investment.

is that out on dvd yet?

edit: a quick search on amazon yields a preorder page with a release date of October 25

Interesting, I thought I saw that at work yesterday. Must investigate further tomorrow.
buriedbybricks

Postby batsamd » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:57 am

I decided not to buy the blu-rays for several reasons.

1. Couldn't justify spending $90 to see the deleted scenes, which is the only thing I was excited about from this set.

2. Own the DVDs that I don't watch.

3. See HD versions on Spike every holiday.

A buddy of mine picked it up, plan to borrow his special feature discs to see deleted scenes.

Plus, I figure I can spend more on LEGO sets now that I didn't spend money on the blu-ray release. ;)
batsamd

Postby darthius » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:37 am

batsamd wrote:I decided not to buy the blu-rays for several reasons.

1. Couldn't justify spending $90 to see the deleted scenes, which is the only thing I was excited about from this set.

If you think that price is high wait and see how much Uncle George is going to charge for the 3D version ;) XD

Lucas is pushing his luck a bit too much I think but luckily for him there are plenty of SW extreme fans. :roll:
darthius

Postby Inzane » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:04 pm

I may yet buy this blu-ray set, if only for the stellar reviews on the audio and video quality alone.

But there's no way in hell Lucas is getting my ticket money to see those dreadful prequel movies again in theater.
Inzane

Postby emmtwosix » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:50 pm

I'm probably in the minority that thinks the prequel movies are good. Well, that is...
Spoiler: show
I should say that the story of the prequels are good...mostly. Yeah, there's a lot to complain about, but they aren't the adventurous spaghetti-space-westerns of the OT where everything had hit rock bottom, so things were only looking up. They're more like a Greek tragedy, death of an age, rise of evil, where everything goes wrong - to be appreciated with different expectations, I guess is what I'm trying to say. But yeah, dialogue is not Lucas' strong point...too bad Irvin Kershner wasn't available, or virtually ANYONE else allowed to give input for the human aspect of the PT. Anywho, this is a rambling tangent far different from this discussion.

I specifically asked for the PT on Blu-Ray for Christmas and was fairly disappointed that it didn't include the freaking bonus discs. You have to buy the full box-set, with the terrible aberrations in the OT, including, most annoyingly, Vader yelling
Spoiler: show
like a goon and Palpatine inexplicably not hearing him so that he might pause to think "hey, Vader seems kinda pissed that I'm electrocuting his boy. I hope he doesn't throw me down this hole. Maybe I should do something abou...aaaAAAhhhhh!!!" at 90 clams to get those bonus discs? I would think they would be happy enough that someone might want to possess, let alone buy the PT that they would give away the special features for those films as a bonus for one's extreme bit of charity.

Plus I already had the DVD box set versions of the original trilogy, sans most of the ridiculous retro-haul (I don't mind any of the special edition additions EXCEPT Greedo shooting first and Han "sliding" aside.) Oh well.

And the 3-D releases in the theater are just another excuse to see them again on a huge screen with a great sound system. Probably won't get too many opportunities to see it on the big screen again...unless you own your own theater, in which case, why are you spending your time in a forum rather than doing rich people stuff? Like, eating Fabergé eggs, or whatever it is rich people do. ;)

The experience is worth the price of admission to me, though I have no desire to own the 3-D versions of any of the films nor do I expect to at any time in the foreseeable future.

[Spoilers added to protect casual readers from opinionated ranting :D ]
emmtwosix

Postby mr_joshua » Wed May 16, 2012 2:15 pm

Why is this post locked to the top of the Star Wars category page here? Shouldn't new topics be on top?

Just something that has been driving me nuts for the past few months...becasue the Pre-Order is far from new breaking news.

Please don't take this the wrong way, just my 2c....
mr_joshua

Postby dWhisper » Fri May 18, 2012 7:46 am

Once upon a time, it was stickied. And it wasn't important enough (or noticeable) to unsticky.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Previous

Return to Star Wars