Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Star Wars On Blu-Ray Up For Pre-order

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Star Wars On Blu-Ray Up For Pre-order

Postby MisterFubar » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:07 pm

Flynn wrote:So, clearly, our next move is to kidnap his children and raise them indoctrinated in the ways of the unaltered OT so that the release may finally see the light of day.

I'm down for this, who's with me?

Count me in.

I don't care all that much about them changing the movies but I do love rolling people up in the middle of the night. :shock:
MisterFubar

Postby StoutFiles » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:38 am

cas wrote:
There is another. Clearly, given the input his children have had on the prequels, the Clone Wars cartoon, and the merchandise, he's grooming them to take over when he's gone.

His kids will keep the money train going, that much is a given. Star Wars will be around till every last cent is drained from it. Releasing the original OT would fall in line with that goal, the only thing that could stop it is...

A) Lucas, in his will, forbids the release of the unaltered OT. Unlikely, but possible.
B) Lucas brainwashes his children into believing that the SE is the only version anyone should ever see and history should be altered.

An original release unaltered would make money, Lucas just wants people to see his changes. They're "his movies", so we have to see them his way or not at all. I don't feel like anyone BUT him would act that way, so we'll see.
StoutFiles

Postby that guy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:16 pm

"pray I don't alter it again" is all that comes to mind at this point....poetic words from the creator himself... :facepalm:
that guy

Postby StoutFiles » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:41 pm

that guy wrote:"pray I don't alter it again" is all that comes to mind at this point....poetic words from the creator himself... :facepalm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W56GtCNYKUI
StoutFiles

Postby fallenangel327 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:43 pm

StoutFiles wrote:A) Lucas, in his will, forbids the release of the unaltered OT. Unlikely, but possible.
B) Lucas brainwashes his children into believing that the SE is the only version anyone should ever see and history should be altered.

You forgot your least favorite, C)Lucas clones himself so he can keep releasing and making money off increasingly warped versions of the movies. :p
fallenangel327

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:00 pm

Or D) George demands in his will that as soon as a time machine is invented, someone is to go back in time and switch the original films with the Special Editions. :p

Seriously though, and don't hate me for this, I don't really care about these changes and will get the BluRays regardless. I actually think it's a good thing they've added things that make the movies more believable. I'll take CG Yoda over Muppet Yoda any day.
Oky Wan Kenobi

Postby jomandybri » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:23 am

On a slight tangent, to celebrate the BRD release in Australia, Fox Studios has paired up with the Cantebury-Bankstown Bulldogs (a football team in Australia) to produce a limitied edition set of team jerseys, that are being auctioned off for charity. Pretty cool IMO, probably more of interest to Australians than anyone else, but hey! Thought it was worth sharing.

They're going for a mint, too- check them out at the link. http://www.graysonline.com/sale/1300840/charity-special-events/bulldogs-star-wars-jersey-auction
May the mass times acceleration be with you!
jomandybri

Postby jonutah » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:03 am

I've never bought a Blu-Ray in the stores (only at garage sales). The sad thing is, I'll have to think hard about buying this set when I start seeing it at Garage Sales next summer for 20.00 (or less). Loyalists might as well pull up to Skywalker Ranch with a stack of 20s and just drop it there as an advanced order for the 3D version and the Black and White version and the Daughter of the Director's Cut and so on and so forth.

- Jon
jonutah

Postby Inzane » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:42 am

Oky Wan Kenobi wrote:I actually think it's a good thing they've added things that make the movies more believable.

I don't BELIEVE Han would wait for Greedo to shoot first.
I don't BELIEVE Luke would scream while making the conscious choice to reject the dark side and sacrifice himself instead (falling down the air shaft)
I don't BELIEVE Darth Vader would scream "NOOOOOooo" like a little pansy.
I don't BELIEVE Jabba would just let Han go, after all the hype about his vendetta mentioned both before and after. Seriously if you went to the trouble of hiring practically every bounty hunter in the galaxy and you just bumped into him at a docking bay you'd then say "yeah, you're really a good guy. I'll give you another chance." ??
I don't BELIEVE the interior docking bay of a star destroyer would look identical to the one on the Death Star II.

I could go on..........
Inzane

Postby cephalopoid » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:50 pm

I am a FBTB lurker.

I have only a handful of posts.

I was born May 25th, 1977. The first movie I remember seeing is the Hoth battle from the back of a pickup truck at a Drive-In in Oregon.

I remember seeing RotJ for my 6th birthday in 1983 in the UA theater in Redding, CA.

I have come here to post that I will [b]not[b] be buying this piece of revisionist cinema.

See, I grew up as part of the Rebel Alliance. I saw the tightening grip of the Empire, and have known, my whole life, what it stood for.

And now I see that Lucas not part of the Rebel Alliance, but he is a trader. He is now part of the Empire, which cares not for the fans and the loyalists, but only one thing, power and wealth. That is what Lucas has turned into, a Sith Lord who is bent on amassing power and wealth, his thoughts warped by fear.

For a less geeky and more rational argument against the new, new editions:

With each new revision he spits in the face of all the special effects artists, all the puppets (Henson, a true Jedi), the actors, and the artists that created a monumental piece of film. They, they built a world that a generation grew up living and believing and supporting with countless fortunes spent on Star Wars related merchandise. Every figure, every poster, every bed sheet and blanket, every model I bought that said Star Wars supported not just Lucas's vision, but the vision of the hundreds I named above. Hundreds that cry out and are suddenly silenced when Lucas revises "his" films.

Sure, he "owns" the creative license, but I can't help but feel those artists and we loyalists that grew up with it own Star Wars a bit, too. We matter.

Now, it sounds like I'm raving, but I will not buy any new Star Wars movies until they bring back the original theatrical production.
cephalopoid

Postby Blacknight » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:29 am

I don't BELIEVE supposedly redeemed, supposedly light side ghost Anakin would have the look of a creepy psychopath.

*I'm not entirely opposed to the idea of putting prequel Anakin in, but couldn't they at least use a better, happier shot of him?
Blacknight

Postby StoutFiles » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:25 am

Blacknight wrote:I don't BELIEVE supposedly redeemed, supposedly light side ghost Anakin would have the look of a creepy psychopath.

*I'm not entirely opposed to the idea of putting prequel Anakin in, but couldn't they at least use a better, happier shot of him?

Jake Lloyd ghost?
StoutFiles

Postby fallenangel327 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:27 pm

StoutFiles wrote:Jake Lloyd ghost?

No... NOOO!!!
fallenangel327

Postby RfAurora » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:15 pm

fallenangel327 wrote:

No... NOOO!!!

Could be worse. Lucas could have decided to replace the ghost of Vader at the end of RoTJ with Ashton Kutcher or Justin Bieber.
RfAurora

Postby Flynn » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:22 pm

Blacknight wrote:*I'm not entirely opposed to the idea of putting prequel Anakin in, but couldn't they at least use a better, happier shot of him?

That's probably the change that really sets me on edge (along with inputting Ian McDiarmid over Clive Revill and re-dubbing Boba Fett) because it completely erases the work of someone originally involved with the original trilogy. Granted, Shaw's work isn't entirely erased from getting rid of his ghost, but it still rings to me as just disrespectful.

And, of course, let's not forget that the Anakin seen as a ghost in the SE's has not been redeemed by that point in his life, and there's no way Luke should be able to recognize him at all as his father. It's a nonsensical change that I really just don't understand why Lucas put it in.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Blacknight » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:33 am

Flynn wrote:
Blacknight wrote:And, of course, let's not forget that the Anakin seen as a ghost in the SE's has not been redeemed by that point in his life, and there's no way Luke should be able to recognize him at all as his father. It's a nonsensical change that I really just don't understand why Lucas put it in.

So kids would recognize Anakin when they saw him. Remember, these movies were always for kids, according to modern day Lucas.
Blacknight

Postby Inzane » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:28 am

Blacknight wrote:So kids would recognize Anakin when they saw him. Remember, these movies were always for kids, according to modern day Lucas.

Yes, but these kids would've JUST seen old-man vader with his helmut off just 10 minutes prior.

I was 9 when I first saw ROTJ in '83 and I didn't have any trouble at all figuring it out on my own back then.

What is it with the need the spoon-feed kids these days. :facepalm:
Inzane

Postby StoutFiles » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:36 pm

fallenangel327 wrote:

No... NOOO!!!

"I'm going to try being a kid ghost now, that's a good trick."

Flynn wrote:And, of course, let's not forget that the Anakin seen as a ghost in the SE's has not been redeemed by that point in his life, and there's no way Luke should be able to recognize him at all as his father. It's a nonsensical change that I really just don't understand why Lucas put it in.

The reasoning is that a Jedi comes back as a ghost of how you last remember yourself. Anakin never remembered himself as a burnt monster so he gets to be Episode III Anakin.

This is ignoring the fact that Anakin was already pretty evil by this time, Luke wouldn't know who he is, etc. It's the only explanation I've ever heard that makes sense. Lucas just did it because he wants all the films tied together. Just be glad he didn't ruin Han.

Blacknight wrote:So kids would recognize Anakin when they saw him. Remember, these movies were always for kids, according to modern day Lucas.

Modern day Lucas is insane.
StoutFiles

Postby Blacknight » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:34 pm

StoutFiles wrote:Just be glad he didn't ruin Han.

He sorta did with Crystal Skull.
Blacknight

Postby AT39 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:41 am

So. Watched New Hope and Empire with a bunch of my buddies last night and even though we knew it was coming, we stopped and rewound and replayed Obi-Wan's new Krayt Dragon call. We simply could not stop laughing, it's just awful! Obi-wan sounds like such a d-bag now :lol:
AT39

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars