Earn Double the VIP Points on everly shop.LEGO.com purchase!  Valid April 1-15, 2014.

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

FBTB Parts Draft Three

Discussion about front-page features and commentary from FBTB.net. Only forum staff can start topics here, but anyone can reply!

FBTB Parts Draft Three

Postby Staff » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:02 pm

Now that BothCon and ComicCon are behind us, it's time we got back to bidness. Who's ready for a parts draft?

Third time's the charm, right? We're going to run things slightly differently this time. Instead of trying to restrict participants to one continent or another and trying to balance almost a dozen different schedules to find a perfect date and time, we're just going to give you the date and you sign up if you can make it.

What are we drafting? 10 copies of Atlantis set 8061 Gateway of the Squid:

The draft will happen at 10 am PST on Saturday August 6th, which should give quite a number of our membership the possibility of participating.

Further amendments to the process as discussed after the last draft will be put into effect here.

Draft registration will commence on Wednesday August 3rd at 12 pm PST, which you can do in this thread here by simply posting your desire to participate. Feel free to post any questions or comments in the thread; anyone attempting to register before the clock hits noon on August 3rd will be disqualified from entering. I will then confirm your registration via private message and give you payment instructions, and our draft order will be decided by the order I receive payment from participants. Easy, right?
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2011/07/31/fbtb-parts-draft-three/
Staff

Re: FBTB Parts Draft Three

Postby Chief » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:27 pm

Pretty Much Everything You Need to Know

What we're drafting: 8061 Atlantis Gateway of the Squid There will be 10 copies in the draft.

How much $$: USD $22, plus a separate shipping fee. Your registration fee is the actual 50% off clearance cost (including tax.) After the draft has taken place, I will contact you with followup payment info for the shipping fee containing the actual shipping cost and a very nominal packaging fee. Don't worry: I'm not going to surprise you with an outrageous surcharge after the draft. Previously I had applied a flat rate shipping fee across the range of participants, but some people had orders that were entirely tiny parts who paid way more than they should have, and others got every large item in the set and didn't pay enough, and I'm pretty sure I ended up in the red in both previous drafts. I can't let that happen again, I value my marriage to Mrschief too much. :P

Who: TBD on Wednesday August the 3rd at 12 pm PST. This will be open to
any FBTB member who joined before today's date, July 31st 2011, regardless of post count.

When: Saturday August 6th at 10 am PST

Where: In real life? My Lego laboratory. Online? In a special draft room we'll make on the IRC chat. Participants will need to familiarize themselves with the workings of the chat before draft day. Don't worry, it's not difficult!

-The first ten forum members who respond to this topic on Wednesday August 3rd at 12 pm PST and pay the entry fee via PayPal within 24 hours will become our Draft Participants *cue fanfare.* If any of the first 10 posters do not pay their fee within the timeframe, the next person in the standby pool gets their spot in the draft.
-All participants must be present in the IRC chat at the agreed-upon draft time. If a participant absolutely cannot be present in the chat, I will refund their entry fee and will open up the slot to any standby member or chatroom spectator who can fill the role on the spot. There will be no proxies this time: you're either present for the draft or you're out.
-Large or expensive lots of parts will be broken up. I am going to make these calls as I presort the pieces, and I will be fair about it. Ex: you will not be getting all 10 octopus men. Trust me to find the golden number; I've got a ton of draft experience.
-Minifigs will be assembled and then split into multiple lots (4-3-3, as established in previous drafts.)
-The order will be determined by the order payment is received
-Once the draft has started, the first participant will select a pile of parts, then the second participant, and so on, until we get to the end of the list. Then we work our way back up the list from bottom to top. Then top to bottom. Etc. This is the serpentine method, and so far has been the popular method for our drafts.
-All participants MUST have an inventory in front of them during the draft. I don't care if it's on your screen or printed in front of you, you need it. Participants will cross off items after each person's turn. It's imperative that everyone keep track of what parts are still up for grabs. Before the draft starts I will provide an inventory with lot numbers individually identified: participants need only type the lot # they desire.
-At the conclusion of the draft, FBTB will package and ship out the chosen parts to their rightful owners, who will congratulate FBTB on a job well done and will immediately clamor for the next draft.
-No whining. We're trying to make this as fair as possible. If you don't get a part you want, find another part you like.

Participants (bold denotes payment made, and confirmed position in the draft):
1. buriedbybricks
2. jennnifer
3. DarthDave
4. rfaurora
5. JD4M
6. buriedbybricks (yep, he's in twice)
Chief

Postby buriedbybricks » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:10 pm

Guess this means I can stop clamouring.

Edit* Sorry I wasn't clearer. THE WAIT IS OVER AND I WANT IN! :D
Last edited by buriedbybricks on Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
buriedbybricks

Postby onions » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:38 pm

::taps mic::

is this thing on?
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby JD4M » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:47 pm

Potential Participants (to be determined on 8/3/11):
1. JD4M
JD4M

Postby jennnifer » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:05 pm

I would like to join this draft. Thanks!
jennnifer

Postby bigkid24 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:04 pm

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this but where can I read up about the draft? I haven't been around for a while and missed the first two.
bigkid24

Postby Chief » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:11 pm

bigkid24 wrote:Sorry if this is the wrong place for this but where can I read up about the draft? I haven't been around for a while and missed the first two.

This post from the start of the topic should pretty much answer all your questions :)
Chief

Postby ThePaleMan » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:31 pm

Count me in.
ThePaleMan

Postby DarthDave » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:27 pm

I am in as well...
DarthDave

Postby Inzane » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:27 am

Aw man, I'd love to join this guys. But, my wife would probably kill me if I tried to do one of these right now.

Have fun!
Inzane

Postby doodlebird » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:42 pm

please don't get discouraged by the low turnout here.... don't give up on drafts! i love the idea of a draft, and i love the last one. a lot of those pieces went straight to MOC-town, but this particular set just didn't have the pieces to pull me in. can't wait to see what's next.
doodlebird

Postby RfAurora » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:41 pm

Is this now officially closed with only 5? I just saw this shortly after you considered it closed, and just decided i would like in if i still can.
RfAurora

Postby Chief » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:02 pm

I can probably squeeze a couple more in, but not for much longer. I have to finish sorting.
Chief

Postby Chief » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:06 pm

We're locked in at 6 participants drafting 7 sets. I'm putting the finishing touches on the inventory now.
Chief

Postby Chief » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:38 pm

Here is the inventory
Please save your own copy and try to prioritize your choices before the draft. I realize there is not much time for you to do this, so I'm not going to give anyone a hard time if they don't have their list all lined up and ready to go at draft time at 10 am PST.

We still haven't mastered getting images into the spreadsheet, so if you need a quick image reference for a piece you don't recognize from the text description in our inventory this is the inventory from bricklink with photos.
Chief

Postby DarthDave » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:12 pm

Well orchestrated and quite enjoyable! I got my first 3 picks and I hope everyone else got what they wanted as well.
DarthDave

Postby buriedbybricks » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:54 pm

Great draft! Thanks to Mr & Mrs Chief, Onions and the drafters! Can't wait for the next one!
Exclaimation mark!
buriedbybricks

Postby RfAurora » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:04 pm

Thank you for having me in the draft. I had an excellent time, and hope to be able to go again.
RfAurora

Postby Chief » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:38 am

Thanks everyone for doing your part to make it run so smoothly. Fastest draft so far with very few hiccups!
Chief

Next

Return to Community Features