Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Service pack for the 10213 Space Shuttle???

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

Service pack for the 10213 Space Shuttle???

Postby Daz Hoo » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:09 pm

See this article on Smashing-Bricks.com:

http://smashing-bricks.com/2011/03/11/l ... tructions/

Anyone else heard of this? I'm having a hard time believing LEGO wouldn't make a wide release of a service pack for this set if one is needed...
Daz Hoo

Re: Service pack for the 10213 Space Shuttle???

Postby Solo » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:14 pm

I get the impression that they just don't have it ready yet, they just didn't say that. But I have nothing but a gut feeling to back that up.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby dWhisper » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:43 pm

I'd tend to agree, and do need to request this. I already tried a few modifications to my shuttle to improve stability, but it's still very touchy in several places. Too bad nothing looks to have been done to the orbiter doors, which are a close second to the implodeability on the boosters.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Daz Hoo » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:38 pm

The blogger posted an update:

Update: Seems like there is light at the end of the tunnel after all. It took 3 emails from unbornchikken to LEGO for this response (this was resolved in the US):

“I am sorry to hear you are having stability problems with your LEGO set. I know how frustrating it can be when a model falls apart during play. We are aware of the issue and have a kit that we are sending out to you via mail. This will take 7-10 business days to arrive.

If after this, you still have problems or need some bricks replaced please get in touch with us again and we will be very happy to help. It would be best to call one of our experts on the free (from landlines) phone number 1-800-835-4386 (8am – 10pm Monday to Friday or 10am – 6pm Saturday to Sunday).”

So, it would seem that a service pack is available afterall, but not easely provided.
Daz Hoo

Postby batsamd » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:55 pm

Sent an email to Customer Service requesting the service pack last Saturday, 3/12.

Its now late Wednesday, 3/16, and the only response I've gotten was the automated email thanking me for contacting LEGO and that I should have a response in 24 hours.

Maybe I'll try to call them tomorrow or Friday.
batsamd

Postby Draykov » Wed May 04, 2011 2:27 pm

10213 to be re-released as 10231 with service pack included? Seems so. Thread cross-reference link: activate!
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Solo » Wed May 04, 2011 3:46 pm

/checks Amazon order
...Nuts. 10213. Oh well.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Draykov » Wed May 04, 2011 4:14 pm

The bright side is, a call/email to customer service should get you what you need. So, you're still the proud new owner of an awesome set. :)
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby groupsrv » Wed May 04, 2011 6:13 pm

Call shop@home. the rep confimed the servcie pack but infomed me there are 2 parts and the instructions sheet on backorder til May18. Told the rep i was in no rush so i should receive the service pack by the end of the month
groupsrv

Postby Solo » Wed May 04, 2011 7:32 pm

Yeah I'm not worried about it. My set won't be here until late next week anyways.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Mofo Jones » Thu May 05, 2011 1:23 pm

I just called for the service pack and was assisted by a very friendly guy who said there would be no problem to send out a service pack for the set. He said the set is for stability for those of us with kids who like to play with the set. I told him that I have a 3 year old who likes to attempt to fly my 6211, which is why I was calling about this one now. I guess this also applies to you swooshers out there. XD
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby Draykov » Sun May 08, 2011 6:38 pm

Not sure if this has been linked elsewhere, but here's the actual .pdf with instructions to apply the fix: http://assets.lego.com/bigdownloads/bui ... _guide.pdf
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby CloneEmperor » Sun May 08, 2011 10:58 pm

I sent an email to LEGO customer service requesting this service pack, just got a response saying that they are sending out the service pack.

LEGO Direct Consumer Services wrote:Thank you for contacting us on 05/04/11 regarding the quality of LEGO® toys and products.

We would like to explain that LEGO building bricks are designed to have a sufficient amount of 'gripping ability' or 'tension' between them so that after a model or creation is built, it will stay together and can be played with over and over again. The bricks do tend to loosen slightly after they have been snapped together and taken apart several times. However, the bricks should not loosen so much that the model falls apart when you pick it up.

Included are the pieces that you need to improve the stability of your LEGO Shuttle Adventure.

If you need any other assistance please contact Consumer Services directly at 1-800-835-4386, Monday-Friday 8am - 10pm ET. Please know that consumer satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us.

On behalf of the LEGO Group, please accept our best wishes.

Sincerely,

Christina
LEGO Direct Consumer Services
CloneEmperor

Postby FarkonGnome » Mon May 09, 2011 6:24 am

The lady I spoke to at S@H asked me what the problem was with my model as there are 2 current issues with the model. I didn't want to ask what the other problem was other than the issue with the fuel tank outlined above (which was the reason I called them).

Does anyone know what the other issue is with the set?
FarkonGnome

Postby Custom333 » Thu May 19, 2011 1:02 pm

I'm surprised that Lego would have 2 issues in the same set... does anybody know how long it was in development? I hadn't heard a word about it until I got a catalog.
Custom333

Postby vynsane » Sat May 21, 2011 6:55 am

When I called to follow up on the status of my request for the parts pack, the operator was looking through the notes on the set and mentioned something about 'the rocket boosters' - not sure if she was just mistaken, or if the original note was incorrectly labeled 'rocket boosters' and not 'external fuel tank', but it could be that. I can't really see a problem with the boosters.

Anyway, a post over at ToysNBricks has info on a new edition of this set, numbered 10231 and named 'Shuttle Expedition'.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Brickset reviews
vynsane

Postby dWhisper » Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:05 pm

Got my service pack yesterday, and installed it today. It's a big parts bag and and some color printouts with instructions, as well as a picture on how not to hold your space shuttle. It does add quite a bit of stability to the booster, and keeps it from shattering when you pick it up.

They did not fix the problem with the nose being knocked off at the drop of a hat, or that the whole "launch pad" part of the set isn't a complete waste and ugly (I suppose that's less a service pack issue, and more "build a real one" issue), but at least you can pick it up now.

You also get some new leftovers. 4 dark round wedge bricks (one of the circles), 6x 2x4 light grey bricks. 4x white 2x2 bricks, a double-height black 2x2 brick, and 2 tan low-friction technic pegs (replaced with more rigid blue pegs).

The basics of the pack are to add rigid structures inside, large white cylinders sit inside the orange round panels. It has no give. You also build 4x4x1 blocks out of 2 yellow hollow plates and 1 dark grey one, replacing the white spots.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby pharmjod » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:12 pm

I purchased 2 of these from TRU in Feb during a BOGO sale and emailed LEGO customer service about the pack. They wanted me to give them the serial number from the instruction manual to confirm purchase. I haven't opened and don't intend to open either one anytime soon so I emailed them and told them that. I also sent a pdf file showing my order from TRU. They told me they are not able to get attachments so they still need the serial number. This is the first time I've had LEGO give me a hassle about a replacement part. Oh well.
pharmjod

Postby onions » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:38 am

From the ambassadors forum:

Dear Ambassadors,

Since its release in 2010, 10213 Shuttle Adventure has proven to be very popular! Although the model was designed for a 16+ target audience, our consumer call center has brought to our intention that many younger children have been building and playing with the model. As a result, the Direct team has decided to look at the model once more to see what changes could be made in order to provide a better build and play experience for a slightly younger target audience.

10231 Shuttle Expedition may look similar to Shuttle Adventure in many ways, however its build is very different and offers several advantages.

- The fuel tank has been reinforced with supports to strengthen the assembly
- The landing gear is strengthened to function better across many different floor types
- The Cargo doors can now be more rigorously opened and closed
- The entire build has been reworked to limit opportunities for misplacing elements
- Astronauts now have wigs in addition to their helmets (1 male, 1 female). Face prints are also different.
- The new set now has 1,230 elements
- New Satellite can be securely positioned on the new mechanical arm

10231 Shuttle Expedition has already gone on sale in LEGOLAND Billund and will soon be available across all LEGO brand retail stores and on LEGO.com.

Kind regards

LEGO Direct Team
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby MrCRskater » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:15 am

Great to hear that it's been such a popular set, and so much so that they are willing to improve on it and re-market it. It looks like there are enough changes that it can almost be considered a completely different model. I am particularly interested in the improved satellite/swingarm design. Too bad it looks virtually identical, which makes it hard to justify the new purchase for those of us who already have one. Maybe I'll just download the new instructions and bricklink the parts needed to mod the cargo bay and landing gear. . .
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Next

Return to Original Themes