Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Announcing The 2011 Podracer Challenge Building Contest

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: Announcing The 2011 Podracer Challenge Building Contest

Postby cplego7 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:20 pm

Yeah kinda stinks, because I was having issues with the website. Not the pictures but with the login.
cplego7

Postby jp-30 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:19 pm

Yeah had my post loaded in by about 11:50, I forgot to shop in the energy binders, so ducked off to do that when my Mum rang. Argh.
jp-30

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:02 pm

Chief wrote:Everyone who posted after 12 am PST is DQ'd per the rules, which is too bad because there's some quality stuff here. :'(

Does that include mine? :(

By the way, I added another podracer I was considering of entering, but couldn't get done in time: A Buzz Lightyear Star Command Podracer! Not because you guys kept talking about one, but because Buzz rocks, and I needed one to race my Zurg Podracer. ;)
Oky Wan Kenobi

Postby CloneEmperor » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:49 pm

Post by Oky Wan Kenobi » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:07 pm

Now, i'm not one of the big bosses, but it looks as if you were entered 53 minutes before the cut off, so you are probably safe.
CloneEmperor

Postby jp-30 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:59 am

I've noticed a number of entries without brick-built or photoshopped energy binders - don't tell me I could have entered my podracer without them. :(
jp-30

Postby Solo » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:32 am

Visible energy binders were not explicitly required by any of the rules, so don't worry about it.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby jp-30 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:24 am

It's in the same paragraph that defines that the pods must have only 2 engines, the cockpit configuration and that only one pilot allowed:

- All podracers must conform to the Boonta Eve Classic Rules and Regulations Handbook governing podracer design. After Ben Quadinaros's quad engine disaster, a podracer is defined as having twin engines held together by energy bindings towing a cockpit pod behind them, with a single pilot. No passengers, prisoners, muses, navigational droids, or any other sentient being.

No big deal, just kicking myself that I thought binders were needed and I missed the deadline by 2 minutes because of it.
jp-30

Postby Solo » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:01 pm

One more thing that could have been easily clarified at any point before the deadline if anyone thought to ask it. The point of that was to limit designs to the twin pod chariot style racer, disallowing designs like these two. We had a very specific rule in the previous contest about including a brick built beam, but not this time. Unfortunately for your previous question that I totally misread, yes. You would have been fine submitting your pod in parked/powered-off mode.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby kyphur » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:50 pm

Solo wrote:One more thing that could have been easily clarified at any point before the deadline if anyone thought to ask it.

Regarding clarifications before the deadline, I had asked (in a round about way but close enough) if using beasts of burden in place of mechanical engines violates the rule and didn't get an authoritative response on that.

Can I get clarification now if my Dragon Pod Racer complies with the rules?
kyphur

Postby CloneEmperor » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:27 pm

I don't know if there is any problem with your entry, but I know that in most literature that references dragons (Harry Potter being the major exclusion), dragons are referred to as sentient, intelligent beings. In fact it wasn't until Harry Potter came around that I heard anyone refer to them as simple animals. My comment, of course, has absolutely nothing to do with your question.
CloneEmperor

Postby Solo » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:40 pm

I thought Ace had responded earlier to you but apparently he didn't. There's nothing in the rules to say your engines can't be creatures or creature shaped. You built twin "engines" held together by energy bindings towing a cockpit pod behind them, with a single pilot - so your entry is fine.

If anyone wants to debate the use of dragons as beasts of burden when they are apparently considered by some to be sentient, which would be tantamount to slavery, well... start another thread and go to town. It won't affect your pod's legitimacy.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby kyphur » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:36 pm

Solo wrote:If anyone wants to debate the use of dragons as beasts of burden when they are apparently considered by some to be sentient, which would be tantamount to slavery, well... start another thread and go to town. It won't affect your pod's legitimacy.

Thanks for the answer...

Hmm, Hagrid the Slave Master... Now that's a new angle for him. Seriously I'd bet Hagrid's team is treated better than most other domesticated animals are.
kyphur

Postby madLEGOman » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:51 pm

I was just wondering... Any kind of e.t.a. 'til the next phase of the race? I suppose this could have all been an elaborate april fools prank a month in the making. In all honesty that would be pretty funny. disappointing, but funny.
madLEGOman

Postby Solo » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:48 pm

Ace is going to post the poll soon, worry not.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby LegoHead » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:30 pm

But when will it start? What day?
LegoHead

Postby CloneEmperor » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:46 pm

LegoHead wrote:But when will it start? What day?

Patience young one. As Solo said it'll be posted soon, just keep your eyes peeled.
CloneEmperor

Postby darth_fett » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:40 pm

ok it's april 13th 11:39 pm and I still don't see link anywhere on the site to actually access the voting? has the link been put up yet?
darth_fett

Postby Chief » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:48 pm

Chief

Postby darth_fett » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:02 pm

whoops thanks! guess i had to be logged in to access it...
darth_fett

Previous

Return to Contests & Community Builds