The poster for The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part has been revealed today and gives us some clues as to what we can expect to see in the upcoming sequel. Take a look at the poster below:
So before I share a few observations, I just want to give credit where credit is due and that the following observations came from our chat room participants.
Some observations and theories:
- Batman’s tire pauldrons. I’m dying to know what the story is behind that. I mean, did the creators just decide to stick tires on Batman’s shoulders to make it look like fancy armor hoping we didn’t notice that they are tires? Was it done as a joke? Did Batman just improvise? Is it part of a transforming suite? So many questions…
- Benny has a robot arm.
- Unikitty has gone full-on Mad Max mode.
- The Statue of Liberty is seen in the background, but skewed at a really weird angle. Could this be a Planet of the Apes type of scenario?
- The figure is most likely be a Friends minidoll type of figure based on the proportions that we can see (neck, head shape, shoulders/arms). This sort of changes idea of what the sequel could be. Friends as a theme came out in 2012, two years before the 2014 debut of the first LEGO movie. The first movie ended with what looked like an invasion of Duplo pieces, so I was kind of expecting a story based around Finn having to now share a space with his sister who is younger and plays with Duplo blocks. If the figure IS a friends minidoll, it could be that Finn’s sister is much older now and playing with the girl-oriented theme of Friends.
- Back to Benny. He looks downright unhappy and it could be that the Friends minidoll is space-themed and he is just not happy about having to share the galaxy with some girls. It could be like a Woody and Buzz Toy Story 1 situation where the new space-themed Friends sets are getting all the spot light and Benny and Classic Space are being cast aside.
- Emmet looks unchanged.
- Wyldstyle now has goggles and what looks like a quiver on her back. Like Benny, she doesn’t look too thrilled either and it might be because she’s a girl and doesn’t like the concept of the minidoll or what the Friends theme represents.
- Can’t really see much of MetalBeard, but he’s back as well.
The teaser trailer for The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part will be revealed tomorrow.
Thanks to ninnymuggins for sharing the poster drop.