Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Wings of Justice Contest

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Wings of Justice Contest

Postby Solo » Wed May 02, 2012 11:25 pm

Wheels of Justice turned out to be a really cool contest, Avengers opens nation wide tomorrow, and the new superhero sets are already hitting shelves... so the timing just feels perfect for... drumroll please... Wings of Justice!

Your task: pick a superhero and build them an aircraft to fight crime in. See below for the specifics. First place is a brand new 6968 Quinjet set, but that's not the only prize on the line. The contest will be open from midnight of May 3rd through 11:59pm June 2nd (PST) and is open to everyone in the world.

Build Rules:
• Your Hero must be from Marvel or DC and you aren't restricted to official minifigs.
. . . They must be recognizable. This not only means built well - but also mainstream enough that the staff won't have to resort to Wikipedia to confirm their validity. If you are even remotely worried about your choice being too obscure: contact the staff before you start building. Odds are one of use will know them so don't sweat this too much.
. . . Your fig must be made up of official LEGO elements. It may be difficult to come up with a particular minifig that looks like the super hero you are basing it on, but try your best and use your imagination.
. . . The minifigure has to fit the line. That means fleshy colored heads and hands (unless your character isn't flesh colored of course).
• Your model must be appropriately themed to match your Hero. Keep in mind that this is the real challenge. The minifig is fluff. Don't spend a month perfecting your Hero then throw together a model at the last minute.
• It must clearly be some sort of flying machine. No cars, boats, spaceships, or giant robots.
• Just like the Wheels of Justice contest: don't copy any existing vehicles. This is supposed to be your own design, and it doesn't have to make perfect sense. Who says Superman can't fly a jet if he wants?

Standard Contest Restrictions:
• No more than one entry per person.
• No more than one person per entry.
• No modified parts or cut stickers.
• No unofficial elements.
• No pre-existing or virtual models.
• No changes allowed after the deadline.

How To Enter:
Submit two photos in a reply to this thread before the deadline:
• The first featuring your model in flight mode, which will be used as the polling image.
• The second a close up of the minifig in the cockpit or posed with the model.

You must have a forum account to enter. Entries by proxy will be not be allowed.
Optional: include a link to a gallery or MOC Showcase post with more images.
Do not post non-entry photos to the contest thread unless you want to be disqualified.

You must use Flickr to host your entry pictures because we rely on the built in image resizing feature. If you do not have an account, you can sign up for free, or ask someone to upload it for you. Once uploaded you will need to embed the photo in the forum. To do so:
  1. go to the flickr photo page for your image
  2. click the little down arrow above your photo to the right of the icons
  3. click "Grab the HTML/BBCode" from that drop down menu
  4. check the bubble next to "BBCode" (HTML will not work)
  5. copy the code from the box above and paste that into a reply here
  6. do not add any more code tags
  7. click Preview to verify that it worked, then Submit.
If it didn't work, ask for help. Simply linking to your photo will not qualify.

Photography note: Your submission photos should be in landscape format (wider than it is tall). Be sure to submit the best picture possible. Color and contrast correction is recommended if necessary. The only image enhancement allowed is replacing the background with either a solid color or simple gradient. Your photo cannot be altered in any other way. For example; no composite views, additional special effects, text, graphics, or scenery will be permitted. Remember, the contest is about the models - not your image manipulation prowess.

Voting:
Voting will occur in two phases. Round one will include all valid entries and determine the top five, and a final round will determine the winners.

Prizes:
This contest's prize pool is sponsored by LEGO. Everyone say, "Thanks LEGO!".

1st: 6869 Quinjet
2nd: 6863 Batwing Battle over Gotham City
3rd: 6866 Wolverine's Chopper Showdown

Good luck!

Disclaimer: these rules may be amended for clarification at any time during the build phase. You are responsible for making sure your entry meets all of the requirements before the deadline. If you have any questions/concerns please post them in this thread or send a PM to Solo.

----- Clarifications -----
1. This is for Heroes only. No villains.
2. Minifig scale.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Re: Wings of Justice Contest

Postby jomandybri » Thu May 03, 2012 12:51 am

Whoa, whoa... am I right in reading that Avengers comes out tomorrow in the US? If so, wow! Australia has had it since April 25th... :S

Great contest, too! Now to get the brain thinking...
May the mass times acceleration be with you!
jomandybri

Postby ZetoVince » Thu May 03, 2012 4:22 am

Cool contest! and i feel i'm in the right mood...
ZetoVince

Postby Darth Mitz » Thu May 03, 2012 5:11 am

quick question/clarification - as "Hero" is mentioned throughout and the competition title has the term "Justice" I am correct in assuming we can't use villains from the Marvel or DC universes?
Darth Mitz

Postby AGC » Thu May 03, 2012 7:32 am

Does the pilot have to be a mini fig, or can it be one of the Ultrabuild figure's. If you can only have mini fig pilots, I probably won't enter, because I don't have any of the Lego Superhero System sets yet. :(

"Thanks LEGO!"
AGC

Postby majortom » Thu May 03, 2012 8:08 am

@AGC: You should't let that stop you from taking part; if you re-read the 'build rules', apparently we are free to MOC our own heroes (characters from the Marvel/DC universes). Iv'e been brainstorming a few ideas and none of the heroes I'm thinking of are 'official' minifigs.

I also wondered if the term 'hero' was just that, or whether it included other 'supers' too, ie. villains.
majortom

Postby bruce n h » Thu May 03, 2012 9:39 am

Here's my entry:

It's Wonder Woman's Invisible Jet. I hope you can all appreciate the intricate SNOT-work. Unfortunately, if you thought photographing an all black model was difficult, try doing one that uses invisible bricks!
:lol:
Okay, seriously, cool contest, and soon to go up on ComicBricks (I've got a ton of product news going up today).

Bruce
bruce n h

Postby Solo » Thu May 03, 2012 10:04 am

Darth Mitz wrote:quick question/clarification - as "Hero" is mentioned throughout and the competition title has the term "Justice" I am correct in assuming we can't use villains from the Marvel or DC universes?
I thought it was pretty obvious, but yes. Heroes only. No villains.
AGC wrote:Does the pilot have to be a mini fig, or can it be one of the Ultrabuild figure's. If you can only have mini fig pilots, I probably won't enter, because I don't have any of the Lego Superhero System sets yet. :(
Minifig scale only, but you don't need to use the official version of the minifig for your Hero if they even have one.
bruce n h wrote:Here's my entry:

It's Wonder Woman's Invisible Jet.
Disqualified for using a preexisting model - I've had that one on my shelf for years. Only thing in my collection that doesn't need to be dusted! :cool:
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby AGC » Thu May 03, 2012 11:35 am

What about anti-heroes such as "The Red Hood (Jason Todd Version)? Can they be used?
AGC

Postby Darth Mitz » Thu May 03, 2012 11:59 am

Solo wrote:I thought it was pretty obvious, but yes. Heroes only. No villains.

it sort of was :x - wanted to make sure just in case - thanks for confirming.
Darth Mitz

Postby zhouston » Thu May 03, 2012 12:25 pm

Awesome contest! Will there be another thread for posting or do we post our entries here?
zhouston
David

Postby Solo » Thu May 03, 2012 12:42 pm

AGC wrote:What about anti-heroes such as "The Red Hood (Jason Todd Version)? Can they be used?

An anti-hero is still a hero right? Are they fighting for justice? Are they on the "good guys" side even if they don't get along with other heroes or don't play by the same rules? If you can answer yes to these without hesitation, then of course. If you feel like it's a grey area, pick someone more clear cut.

Also, this brings up the recognizability point in the rules. We didn't throw that in there because we love crushing dreams, we're thinking about the forum at large who will be voting. I have only a casual interest in comics and my first response was "who is that?" - then I looked them up and it still wasn't obvious. That's exactly what you want to avoid.

zhouston wrote:Awesome contest! Will there be another thread for posting or do we post our entries here?
In the forst post with the rules I wrote:How To Enter:
Submit two photos in a reply to this thread before the deadline:
• The first featuring your model in flight mode, which will be used as the polling image.
• The second a close up of the minifig in the cockpit or posed with the model.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby jfoulds » Thu May 03, 2012 12:51 pm

My entry for the contest - a more armored version of the batwing for Batman:

DSC_0112 by greybrck, on Flickr

and here is the cockpit:

DSC_0117 by greybrck, on Flickr

Cheers!
jfoulds

Postby Solo » Thu May 03, 2012 2:19 pm

That was fast.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby dWhisper » Thu May 03, 2012 2:50 pm

Solo wrote:That was fast.

Especially since it looks like the pictures were taken about three hours before this contest was posted.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby cas » Thu May 03, 2012 3:06 pm

But does it break the "pre-existing" rule, though? I've never seen this MOC before, it does appear to be very new. Of course, it doesn't mean he didn't share it elsewhere first (which, in my interpretation of the "pre-existing" rule would be a no-no). But it's also obvious it was not created for this contest and the builder took advantage of the timing (I would have at least waited 24 hours and taken new pics, you know, to create some illusion of it being for the contest).
cas
Staff Writer

Postby Solo » Thu May 03, 2012 3:47 pm

Not quite Nick, you misread the timezones. The exif data says those shots were taken between 9 and 12 minutes after the start of the contest and then uploaded to flickr about a half hour later. However, unless jfoulds read the announcement and speed built this in the wee hours of the morning it does violate the pre-existing model restriction. It's just as cas said: it's clearly a case of coincidental timing rather than something built for this contest. I'm sorry, but that does not qualify.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Master Beef » Thu May 03, 2012 4:33 pm

One question: It's specified in the rules that the model MUST be in minifig scale. Well, I'm thinking about building an aircraft for Hulk. I don't have the funds to go buy the Helicarrier Breakout set which includes him, so can I build my own Hulk and an aircraft that will fit him?

Thanks!
Master Beef

Postby banthafodder » Thu May 03, 2012 5:14 pm

^^ The rules state that the minifig must be recognizable and made of official Lego parts. Sounds like you can build your own Hulk fig.
banthafodder

Postby Master Beef » Thu May 03, 2012 5:53 pm

Thanks for the affirmation. I'll still wait and see if Don says otherwise. Well, I guess I should start building...
Master Beef

Next

Return to Contests & Community Builds