Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO.com's May the 4th and Revenge of the 5th Plans

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

LEGO.com's May the 4th and Revenge of the 5th Plans

Postby Staff » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:49 am

LEGO_SW_May4th2012_POSTCARD_041212.indd

StarWars.LEGO.com just released their plans to celebrate the unofficial Star Wars day, May the 4th. And I guess their claiming May 5th as their own as well, dubbing it as Revenge of the 5th. Terrible. Anyways, there is an online virtual build of a mystery mosaic starting on the 4th with the final reveal happening the day after. There are two ways to participate. Method 1: go online to the LEGO website, log on with your LEGO ID and upload a picture of a Star Wars creation. Method 2: stop by a LEGO Brand Retail store and either bring your MOC or build one in the store, and a store associate will help you upload it to the site. How any of this will help "build" a virtual mosaic is beyond me but don't dismiss the marketing efforts just yet. One lucky photo will be chosen as the winner and the submitter will win a desktop-size LEGO Darth Maul. See? That right there makes it worth it.

There's a website up and running right now, LEGOStarWarsMosaic.com, where you can check out all the legalese and it'll link straight to LEGO's site. No telling yet if anything else will show up.

LEGO_SW_May4th2012_POSTCARD_041212.indd

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/04/30/lego-coms-may-the-4th-and-revenge-of-the-5th-plans/
Staff

Re: LEGO.com's May the 4th and Revenge of the 5th Plans

Postby sparkart » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:02 pm

You know how I know I've a simple, unsophisticated, AKA stupid, sense of humor? I actually chuckled (on the inside) when I read "Revenge of the 5th". At least there's no "The 3rd of the Jedi"...yet.
sparkart

Postby Zrath » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:09 pm

"How any of this will help "build" a virtual mosaic is beyond me..."

Well, you see, each photo will be shrunk down and used as a tile in the mosaic.
Haven't you seen photo mosaics before?
Zrath

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:50 pm

Terrible indeed. Revenge of the Sixth would have made more sense if you ask me. It sounds more like "Sith" and would give people more time to enter.

As for how all this will help make a mosaic, well... they'll probably feed all the submitted images into a software that will use them to generate a mosaic of the image they want to reveal... Don't know what that image is, but based on that pic of Jabba, I'd say it will be one of the summer sets, most likely Jabba's palace. Could be anything though.
Oky Wan Kenobi

Postby Mofo Jones » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:38 pm

That's it - I'm sending in my Duplo Y-Wing pic. I'll go un-fsck my Flickr and post it here as well.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby Rook » Tue May 01, 2012 11:05 am

sparkart wrote:You know how I know I've a simple, unsophisticated, AKA stupid, sense of humor? I actually chuckled (on the inside) when I read "Revenge of the 5th". At least there's no "The 3rd of the Jedi"...yet.

Or "May Two Hope". :S

For those non-Canadians (and non-Common Wealthers) we have "May Two Four" Aka: May 24th or Victoria Day.
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby emmtwosix » Wed May 02, 2012 9:12 am

Mofo Jones wrote:That's it - I'm sending in my Duplo Y-Wing pic. I'll go un-fsck my Flickr and post it here as well.

I'm assuming this is it until proven otherwise :)
emmtwosix

Postby Mofo Jones » Wed May 02, 2012 9:48 pm

That would be it, but how about you let me decide when I want to post a link to my own stuff, hmm?
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby emmtwosix » Fri May 04, 2012 1:06 pm

Sorry! :x I just did a quick search on flickr and that was the first thing that popped up. Didn't think I had actually stumbled across yours so easily. My apologies.
emmtwosix

Postby madLEGOman » Mon May 07, 2012 10:15 am

What? The mosaic lies! Ok, so in the spirit of may the fourth be with you, i went ahead and uploaded about 30 pics to the lego site for the mosaic... Looking at the finished mosaic, it conveniently allows for you to search for your pics simply by entering the handle of the builder in the search field. So when I did that, i noticed it finding a number of my pics in the same spots (zoomed in to confirm) So it appears maybe they got more pics than they had room for
madLEGOman

Return to Star Wars