Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Previous May Promo's

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Previous May Promo's

Postby guy123 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:47 pm

Hi guys, Im pretty new to Star Wars lego but am excited about the May TC-14 promo. I've been looking online and saw that last years promo was the Shadow ARF Trooper.
Were there promo minifigs before last year? If so, which ones?
guy123

Re: Previous May Promo's

Postby UOldPirate » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:05 am

Unfortunately, 2011 was the first year Lego gave away a minifig as part of the May the 4th SW promo. In 2010 it was a SW minifig sticker sheet and 2009 it was a SW minifig poster with around 150+ figs limited to 15000 copies. I don't believe there were any May the 4th promos prior to 2009. I'm pretty sure 2009 kicked it off because it was the 10th anniversary of Lego SW.

As far as promotional SW minifigs, here are some of the ways Lego has done special figs besides the ARF trooper & the upcoming TC-14:

*Gold C-3PO (2007) & chrome Vader (2009): randomly inserted into sets from their respective years
*Chrome Stormtrooper(2010): TRU promo in the US
*White Boba Fett (2010) & shirtless Darth Maul (2012): given out at Legoland parks
*ANH Medal Ceremony Luke (2009) & Han (2011): Lego SW Visual Dictionary & Character Encyclopedia, respectively
*Young Han Solo (2011): Padawan Menace DVD

Hope this helps, I wasn't sure if you were interested in just the May the 4th promos or other special minifigs so I included both. :)
UOldPirate

Postby guy123 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:14 am

Amazing, that's exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you.

But let me ask you one more thing. From what I understand and what small research Ive done, the Chome Vader and Chrome C-3po and White Boba Fett were all batches of 10,000 units. Which I guess in the grand scheme of things is not much at all.
But what makes the Chrome C-3po so much more desirable than the other two??? If you look on ebay or Bricklink you can get a Chrome Darth or White Boba for about £20-25 but on Bricklink the cheapest Chrome C-3po is £204 and the most expensive is £491!!!
Seems like a huge discrepancy in re-sell price to me.
guy123

Postby cas » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:32 am

I am under the impression there are more Vaders and Fetts than C-3POs. I've heard the 10,000 number thrown around, but given the relative ease in acquiring the Vaders and Fetts (especially the white Fetts) over the C-3POs, I'm pretty sure that number is not correct.

I've always assumed the golden C-3PO was more desirable because 1) it's rare, 2) it's more accurate in appearance as opposed to the dull standard version, & 3) it's shiny. Very shiny.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby Gooker1 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:08 am

guy123 wrote:Amazing, that's exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you.

But let me ask you one more thing. From what I understand and what small research Ive done, the Chome Vader and Chrome C-3po and White Boba Fett were all batches of 10,000 units. Which I guess in the grand scheme of things is not much at all.
But what makes the Chrome C-3po so much more desirable than the other two??? If you look on ebay or Bricklink you can get a Chrome Darth or White Boba for about £20-25 but on Bricklink the cheapest Chrome C-3po is £204 and the most expensive is £491!!!
Seems like a huge discrepancy in re-sell price to me.

cas wrote:I am under the impression there are more Vaders and Fetts than C-3POs. I've heard the 10,000 number thrown around, but given the relative ease in acquiring the Vaders and Fetts (especially the white Fetts) over the C-3POs, I'm pretty sure that number is not correct.

I've always assumed the golden C-3PO was more desirable because 1) it's rare, 2) it's more accurate in appearance as opposed to the dull standard version, & 3) it's shiny. Very shiny.

Going to expand a bit regarding the Gold C-3PO. As stated, they were randomly inserted in boxes that year, but also large number was meant for little giveaways, such as Comic Con that year. The giveaways were handled by the 501st group. It's a Star Wars group that has been very helpful in a lot of Star Wars based celebrations. Well anyhoo. A handful of bad apples of the 501st decided to horde their allotment to give away the Gold C-3POs and in turn made a killing on eBay. It's pretty much a 99.99% fact that the sellers over the years that have sold more than 10 of these things were apart of the 501st. The Lego group and the 501st weren't happy about this, so supposedly those guys were booted from the organization. Having a decent percentage of giveaways kept by a handful of people can definitely drive up prices since there aren't more in the general marketplace. It was a big foul up, and that's why I feel that the prices have gotten so high on these things, and they were already $100-150 upon release too.
Gooker1

Postby guy123 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:23 am

hmmm, thats pretty interesting and also pretty lame on behalf of those people in the 501st who kept and sold the figs.

So does anyone care to guesstimate at the numbers of the figures in circulation? If Chrome Darth and White Boba were more than 10k......how many?
Seems like from the above posts and the price that Chrome C-3PO is closer to, if not bang on, 10k.

What about the Chrome Stormtroopers and the May 4th giveways? Any numbers on those fellas?
guy123

Postby Drock » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:07 pm

guy123 wrote:So does anyone care to guesstimate at the numbers of the figures in circulation? If Chrome Darth and White Boba were more than 10k......how many?
Seems like from the above posts and the price that Chrome C-3PO is closer to, if not bang on, 10k.

What about the Chrome Stormtroopers and the May 4th giveways? Any numbers on those fellas?

I would guess the Chrome Vaders were pretty plentiful. I believe there was a time when Europeans could outright buy them for €25, or something like that.

Also, the chrome stormtroopers were plentifully available in polybags at TRU, and later on detachable magnets at the LEGO store. IIRC, my local LEGO store had the magnet ones heavily clearanced before they were gone.
Drock

Postby jallenuk » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:39 am

I Just need the Chrome C-3PO to complete my set - if anyone has one for sale at a decent price let me know!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/75179971@N07/6974844592/
jallenuk
Staff Writer

Postby guy123 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:27 pm

That is very cool, thanks for sharing. How did you get the TC-14 so quickly?
guy123

Postby jallenuk » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:49 pm

guy123 wrote:That is very cool, thanks for sharing. How did you get the TC-14 so quickly?

My addiction drove me to eBay to get one early!
jallenuk
Staff Writer

Postby janifer1 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:46 pm

Hello! I also saw a few promo codes for it, but I saw them before a few days. One of those is to save Up to 20% on Select Star Wars Items, Ends 5/5/12 or While Supplies Last.
I am sincere to those who are sincere to me...!
janifer1

Return to Star Wars