Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Another LEGO Cuusoo Milestone: Shaun of the Dead

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Another LEGO Cuusoo Milestone: Shaun of the Dead

Postby cas » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:57 am

Chances are you've already heard the news. Yatkuu's LEGO Cuusoo submission "The Winchester - Shaun of the Dead" has reached the required 10,000 votes for product consideration! This was no doubt related to Simon Pegg's mention of the project on Conan O'Brien's TBS talk show. But don't get too excited yet. There is no guarantee this, or something similar, will see the light of day as an official LEGO model. Yes, Minecraft made it through the LEGO's review process fairly swiftly, but this may prove a much more difficult challenge, considering the film's themes and appropriateness as it is an R-rated comedy. Consider LEGO's own words on the achievement:
In our previous message, we noted that due to the themes behind Shaun of the Dead, there would need to be some significant internal discussion for us to agree to produce this as a product. Please understand that this discussion has yet to take place, and while we appreciate your work and celebrate this big success with you, we are not guaranteeing production.

What do you think? Will it make it through LEGO's review process or will it be bludgeoned away by a cricket bat?
cas
Staff Writer

Re: Another LEGO Cuusoo Milestone: Shaun of the Dead

Postby emmtwosix » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:34 pm

It looks terrific! I just looked at it the other day and am surprised by how many votes it has gotten between then and now. It's a great set, but I have a feeling that, based on the source content, this won't get released - at least not as an official "Shaun of the Dead" set. Maybe if they are okay with zombies (which they seem to be based on the collectible minifigure counterpart) it could be released as a generic set, maybe associated with their new Monster Hunter line. At any rate, it is an amazing set, IMO quite a bit better than the Minecraft set being release - good luck to all involved!
emmtwosix

Postby crazybirdman » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:27 pm

This counts as 'fantasy violence' right? The LEGO company seems to be okay with that.
crazybirdman

Postby Daiman » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:52 pm

I was also surprised at how quickly this one turned around and it is indeed a great build...congratulations to Yatkuu as this is a worthy feather in your cap, testament to your skills as a builder.

However, and not aimed at any one builder especially Yatkuu for all of your works are worthy of note.

Cuusoo has opened up a window of opportunity that I'm sure all builders dream of that some day lego will release one of their creations, but being in the form it is in enables anyone to build anything to submit without any pre judgement as to if it follows the lego brands ideology.

Intellectual property deals aside, TLG has formed an opinion on what type of content they would portray in bricks in line with that they feel is appropriate for their target market.

Although it could be considered that the super hero lines could be in a grey area I feel that in a lego world they more resemble Marvels own super hero squad theme in terms of mentality towards confrontations of that type and have the backing that kids would see it in this way themselves.

My advice to anyone wishing to use Cuusoo as a format to achieve a very worthy goal would be to familiarise themselves with TLG philosophies first and not rely on popular opinion as a way to try and coerce them into releasing your intended product. First of all It probably wont work and you may become one of the future long list of Cuusoo failures simply due to ignorance and secondly why would you want to hamper your chances by not meeting TLG core concepts.
There is a significant difference between the simulated fighting we all go through in the playground to grow and learn about people and our world and the mentality of smashing something out with a cricket bat across the head.

Within the minecraft theme, although the game has blocky violence it would seem that the sets focus is on the similar building style and the option when faced with a sentient cactus would be to run and hide in your home base rather than to slice it into California rolls.
That all being said my best wishes for another Cuusoo milestone and it great to see the public supporting it and the builders at large.
Daiman

Postby Zon » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:39 am

Not a fan of of this really... (not the build, but the content). Overall, as long as it is not available in a place where kids (especially mine) are exposed to it, I don't care.

I was walking through Walmart the other day, and in the Lego section underneath the collectible minfigs was a big display of "The Walking Dead" toys. Not at all related to Lego, nor age appropriate for the section.

Same thing would apply here - just keep it away from the kids.
Zon

Postby cas » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:58 am

I don't think it will matter. If a product does get made, it will likely be something "inspired by" this submission, perhaps a Monster Hunter-like playset. I can't see Lego creating a set in which "Shaun of the Dead" appears on the box and in advertising.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby Daiman » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:34 pm

Having just read through the sister thread to this on Eurobricks it would seem that the Shaun of the dead theme to this build was always a secondary consideration and more to the modular building as an addition to TLGs current assortment.

From reading I also gather an awful lot of effort went into promoting this Moc through various media across the globe which in itself read like a mammoth task.

I am not sure if I would have the same gusto when my own projects are submitted so very well done on that note.
Daiman

Postby manfromporlock » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:41 pm

Okay, first off the only actual way that this will make it into production would be to virtually eliminate the theme and then treat it as a modular building. But it doesn't really conform to any of the many various styles that exist within that format. It just wouldn't look quite right next to them (and I say this with 5 of the buildings in my living room).

I was talking to a friend about this over the weekend and I think we both agreed that Cuusoo doesn’t seem to be generating quite the stuff we expected. This set is an excellent example.

The market for this set would be relatively small. It’s a narrow band of people who have fans of both the film and Lego, then also have the (considerable) disposable income to throw at a set like this. It would also be of a huge expense for Lego to manufacture. It doesn’t seem to be worth their while as a business.

Why is most of the Cuusoo stuff licensed anyway? Why don’t we see more updates of old themes or new themes altogether? Look at how much Star Wars stuff is on Cuusoo. Does anyone genuinely feel like there’s been shortages or oversights when it comes to producing Star Wars Lego? They’re churning out new and obscure vehicles all the time and have been for a decade.

I understood when Lego Minecraft took off because it took so very little to render the game in Lego. But Shaun of the Dead? I don’t see this happening any time soon and I’d honestly be disappointed if it did. And I’m exactly the person who would otherwise be the market for this thing.
manfromporlock

Postby PaulBaldowski » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:29 am

The Winchester definitely comes across as a solid and stunning build. I would definitely consider the building alone as adequate reason to make this available as a set. I would love the minifigs, too - and I hate the idea that Lego is just for kids. I think we Lego appreciating adults sometimes deserve attention...
PaulBaldowski

Postby Walter Boy » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:55 pm

It's so sad to see something get so many votes knowing it's very unlikely that Lego will do a licensed 'Shaun of The Dead' set. Kinda makes me worried that Lego might lose some respect for Cuusoo projects.

Still, congrats to Yatkuu on getting enough supporters! Having talked to him on Flickr and Eurobricks, I can say he is a real nice person and a very talented builder.
Walter Boy

Postby CaptainFordo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:06 am

I agree, while there are plenty of magnificent Cuusoo ideas, it's a shame so many are unlikely to be made because they're licensed. Though I have little sympathy with the cuusoos which are shamelessly just "Make this license". It's one thing to build a creative license-based set, entirely another to just essentially demand a new license.
CaptainFordo

LEGO Says 'No' to Shaun of the Dead

Postby cas » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:40 am

It was only a few weeks ago that Yatkuu's LEGO CUUSOO submission "The Winchester - Shaun of the Dead" reached 10,000 votes and entered the review process. Now we have word straight from LEGO it has been rejected. LEGO states:

LEGO CUUSOO gives the opportunity to submit product ideas, however all LEGO products, regardless of age target, must be content appropriate for our core audience. With this in mind we have decided that – good though the model is – the film Shaun of the Dead contains content that is not appropriate for our core target audience of children ages 6-11.

It makes sense, given Shaun of the Dead is a bloody, R-rated film, but it would have been fascinating to see the evolution of the project from MOC to official LEGO product. Still, we have the next potential product to look forward to, as pointed out on Brickset, EVE Online Ships reached the goal for LEGO review.

I have to admit, I have little enthusiasm about this particular entry. It's not that it bad, it's quite the opposite. Each of the selected models have been wonderful in their own ways. The problem is, it's another "licensed" model, following in the footsteps of Minecraft and Shaun. Where's the love for models not tied to any specific brand, be it video game, TV show, or movie? LEGO Back to the Future would be awesome, as would LEGO The Legend of Zelda, but going through LEGO CUUSOO doesn't seem to be the right avenue for properties that must be licensed (i.e. have additional costs) in order to be produced. Models such as Modular Western Town or simply western themed sets, for example, make more sense.

Or does nostalgia and pop culture rule?

[via Brickset, LEGO CUUSOO Blog]
cas
Staff Writer

Postby The Phantom Menace » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:38 pm

Aren't the Harry Potter, LOTR, POTC and ROTS films PG-13? Sort of above the target 6-11 age range. Plus what about all the Lego models that say Ages 16+ on them?
The Phantom Menace

Postby oddTodd » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:56 pm

I'm disappointed Shaun of the Dead was deemed inappropriate. I can see the logic based on the movie itself, but Lego puts out a lot of violent stuff these days. In fact, their whole "no realistic weapons" stance is somewhat laughable in consideration of the LOTR and Star Wars stuff they will or do put out. ("The purpose is for the LEGO brand not to be associated with issues that glorify conflicts and unethical or harmful behavior," they say. Really? Because Star Wars seems to glorify conflict quite a bit. It is called Star Wars, after all, not Star Friends.)

But to address the licensed theme issue, the problem seems to be that there is not a sufficiently large LEGO fan base (on CUUSOO, at least) to get to 10,000 votes. The last three models to hit 10,000 supporters have done so largely through support of an outside community of fans, and those outside communities inevitably revolve around a licensed theme. If you want to see Modular Western Town hit 10,000, go find some Western-themed community and convince them to go to CUUSOO and support the project.
oddTodd

Re: LEGO Says 'No' to Shaun of the Dead

Postby Draykov » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:18 pm

cas wrote:Where's the love for models not tied to any specific brand, be it video game, TV show, or movie? LEGO Back to the Future would be awesome, as would LEGO The Legend of Zelda, but going through LEGO CUUSOO doesn't seem to be the right avenue for properties that must be licensed (i.e. have additional costs) in order to be produced. Models such as Modular Western Town or simply western themed sets, for example, make more sense.

Or does nostalgia and pop culture rule?

An interesting point. Something that I find equally interesting is that these first two potential US sets (MInecraft and The Winchester) probably only reach the minimum required votes due to bumps from Mojang and Coco/Simon Pegg respectively. There seems almost to be a conflict of interest where fans of Brand X may only be headed to LEGO Cuusoo to drive up the potential for the LEGOization of their favorite property. Genuine fans of the brick for the brick's sake may be in the minority (or, what oddTodd said).

I hate to say it, but I think Cuusoo might be yet another case of LEGO getting in its own way. I don't begrudge them for having standards and sticking to them, but why open yourself and your customers up to this kind of thing if it's just going to end in disappointment. Factory and the early days of LDD were kind of the same thing. People wanted the world and they got 45 elements in 4 colors (I'm exaggerating, but you see what I mean).

The Phantom Menace wrote:Aren't the Harry Potter, LOTR, POTC and ROTS films PG-13? Sort of above the target 6-11 age range. Plus what about all the Lego models that say Ages 16+ on them?

There's a line between PG-13 and R. And as far as suggested age ranges beyond 6-11, that's more about complexity and there are exceptions to the rule. This is an issue of age appropriateness for other reasons.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby HothTrooper » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:11 pm

I'm not surprised this one was turned down. I'm in agreement with Draykov, though. I'm not sure CUUSOO is working in the way LEGO intended (LEGO getting in their own way). It seems LEGO thought they were getting a new avenue to reach their core demographic. However by restricting registered voters to ages 13+ and project designers to ages 18+, they invited a bunch of non-professional marketers/designers outside their target demographic who saw CUUSOO in an entirely different light. They saw it as a way to express their support for projects aimed at their demographics. In short, LEGO has a disconnect between the demographic they're aiming to reach with CUUSOO and the demographic the participants are aiming to reach.
HothTrooper

Postby Eatlead » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:30 pm

Yeap, Lego should consider looking into other 'audiences' with a CUUSOO brand or something similar. A business slapping money away? No way!
Eatlead

Postby legomason » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:18 pm

The Phantom Menace wrote:Aren't the Harry Potter, LOTR, POTC and ROTS films PG-13? Sort of above the target 6-11 age range. Plus what about all the Lego models that say Ages 16+ on them?

To continue your point, Lego licenses also rated PG-13:

• Indiana Jones (Last Crusade and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull)
  • Jurassic Park III
  • Batman
  • Prince of Persia
  • Spider-Man
  • The Avengers
legomason

Postby dWhisper » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:35 am

While I'm not surprised that this wasn't picked up, I still don't buy their explanation (and judging by the responses here, neither does anyone else). The whole idea of Cuusoo was to explore what a specific segment of the market was willing to design and pay for. In a sense, this is no different than the Factory line was.

I understand if they're going to claim target market for anything available in a store or on a display, but something available through the web, through a specific site or channel, shouldn't carry the same restrictions. If it does, the entire Cuusoo concept is basically a big waste of time.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Walter Boy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:34 am

Not surprised really. I didn't have much enthusiasm for this one to begin with, so I'm not that
disappointed. However I feel bad for those that voted on it and got excited for it.

I just want that Western concept to get approved! Something that doesn't involve licenses or online video games. Nice and simple.
Walter Boy

Next

Return to Licensed Themes