Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Toy Fair 2012: Star Wars

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

LEGO Toy Fair 2012: Star Wars

Postby Staff » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:10 pm

Toy Fair 2012 - Star Wars - 9499 Gungan Sub - 08

I've started the upload process for our photos taken at the LEGO Collector Event this morning here in New York.k It's slow going, and our connection is a little iffy, but we'll do our best to make sure everything makes it onto the FBTB flickr stream.

Up right now is the Star Wars theme. We'll be uploading the licensed themes first, then the rest afterwards. So take a peek and let us know what you think.

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/02/12/lego-toy-fair-2012-star-wars/
Staff

Re: LEGO Toy Fair 2012: Star Wars

Postby deskp » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:36 pm

Been following along while the images were being uploading, quality is very good!

Hoping for the same care in the LOTR theme, hopefully you'll be the first site to really show off Eomer.
deskp

Postby bigospedros » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:39 pm

Nice pics so far ... looking forward to the Desert Skiff to confirm my memories of the Boba fig from London.

Was the colour match on the Queen Amidala figure torso and "skirt" any better? I recall a slight colour variation ... still looks a bit that way on this fig.

I absolutely love the Gamorrean Guard fig.

Wasn't expecting the Mandalorian ship ... what does "Deko" mean on the fig? I'm assuming it means that it's not a final figure ... certainly looks that way based on the pics.

Did you see any signs/news of the UCS sets?
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby metalface13 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:57 pm

Agreed, you've got the best pics of the show. I've been waiting all day for your pics! You guys are not afraid to move the sets, minifigs around and apart so we can see what you're dealing with. Here's my thoughts on some of sets, because I'm sure the world is dying to read them (jk0.

Planet Series: Lobot! That'll probably be the only one I buy. Except maybe the AT-ST if the torso printing is different from the previous version.

Maleveolance: I don't do much Clone Wars stuff. Padme looks hideous. But then, all the CW minifigs lood hideous to me.

Advent Calendar: At least Santa Maul and Snow Astromech are kind of interesting. But the rest is meh. Pass.

Pre Vizla's Mandalorian Starfighter: Obviously very preliminary on Pre Vizla's minifig? I like Mandalorians, but probably pass.

Sith Fury-class Interceptor: Darth Malgus is amazing! Sith Troopers are cool and unique too. Ship looks cool, too. But $90!! That's probably going to price me out of it.

Gungan sub: Amidala looks nice, but I'm not too crazy about the big hair pieces like she has and we've seen in the POTC stuff. Pass.

Saesee Tin's Starfighter: Love the green astromech! But CW, so pass.

Jabba's Palace: Love it! My only nitpicks are Oola is really lime green. Shouldn't she be more of a sand green? Also not a big fan of the Gammorean guard. He looks great, but has lost some LEGO-ness. Great set though. I need to save up for this one.

Republic Striker-Class: Nice. I like it. Great female jedi and I love the old astromech. Might get this, we'll see. I can see the Knights of the Old Republic sets as being really unpopular because people aren't familiar with them or really popular depending on how well the game does.

Desert Skiff: Must buy for me! I don't have a Jedi Luke yet, but I'd prefer an all-black torso. Lando looks great! Boba Fett's printed legs look good. I think his gun from the Slave I set looks better.

Looks like you're starting to get the LOTR stuff up, I'd better check them out.
metalface13

Postby Morgan19 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:57 pm

Sitting here hitting refresh on the FBTB stream for all the new sets, SW or not... Thanks very much for doing this. :)

m19
Morgan19

Postby shoggoth666 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:01 pm

Thanks for the pics, thorough job! Love the Uruks can't wait to build an army worthy of mordor. Shelob looks suitably sinister and am digging the new Jabba.
shoggoth666

Postby twbooth » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:23 pm

Desert skiff looks amazing. Jabba's Palace has great Minifigs but only blah with the building....and quite steep price... I'll bite at 40-50% off. Sith Fury is very cool, but steep (another "bite-at-40%-off"). I'll pass on Malevolence. Advent looks acceptable.

...but most importantly... AMAZING PICTS! Thank you !!! Wow!!!
twbooth

Postby metalface13 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:28 pm

Post moved to LOTR thread.
Last edited by metalface13 on Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
metalface13

Postby madLEGOman » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:41 pm

wow, so many great pics guys, your obsessiveness made for a great slideshow =) you must have been snapping pics like a couple of madmen. so much cool new stuff coming, the shelob abdomen winch was hilarious. question for bigospedros, was the boba fett fig the same as the one you saw at the uk show? thought you may have said something about possible arm printing too. i am so gonna be broke after these summer launches.
madLEGOman

Postby bigospedros » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:08 pm

question for bigospedros, was the boba fett fig the same as the one you saw at the uk show? thought you may have said something about possible arm printing too. i am so gonna be broke after these summer launches.

Yes, same fig from what I remember. I couldn't remember if it had arm printing or not, but I guess not looking at the pics
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby majortom » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:23 pm

Given the release of the new The Lord of the Rings line, my Star Wars purchases (if any) will be limited this year, but this is a pretty good collection of sets, with some real stand-outs. Here's some of my thoughts on a few of the sets:

9496 Desert Skiff: Pretty cool, definitely an improvement on previous iterations, including the Sarlaac; the addition of tentacles is a nice touch. I don't care much for the new new Boba Fett, the extra printing and (especially) colour change of the cloak seems somewhat unnecessary.

9497 Republic Striker-Class Starfighter & 9500 Sith Fury-Class Interceptor: The latter seems like a pretty substantial set, with some pretty nifty looking play features and awesome looking figures (well, figure: Darth Malagus!) to boot, the former however looks comparatively disappointing, and the figures are nothing to write home about (I expected a new hair sculpt), although the droid is interesting, some npu there. The interceptor build looks a bit more complex and interesting compared to the Republic starfighter, and given the target audience for these sets (probably not kids; teens and adults that have actually played the game) I expected some more advanced building techniques and detail on this particular set. I do have a soft spot for the Old Republic era, so these are a maybe (at least the Sith interceptor).

9515 The Malevolence: Could this iteration of Padme be the ugliest minifigure in the whole line? Considering her other appearance in the Gungan Sub set, this figure is pretty hideous, but I don't care much for the Clone Wars sets, so I'll leave it be.

9516 Jabba’s Palace: Whoa! definitely worth it for the minifigures alone. Salacious Crumb I am in two minds about; the figure teeters on the boundary of 'LEGO' and action figure-dom. The new Jabba is nicely done and the tattoo on his right arm is an excellent little detail. Oola looks awesome, with revesible head to boot; I love the lime green, I think the colour choice has proved controversial. Leia Boushh. Those two words alone should be enough to convey the awesomeness of this figure. Well played LEGO. The rest of the set doesn't look half bad either, you couldn't ask for much more really. Except maybe a Rancor. Maybe.

Well those are just my two cents. Some nice looking sets there; the Sith interceptor are Jabba's Palace are on my 'maybe' list. The advent calendar seems to be a bit of an improvement on last year, but the Darth Maul in Santa suit seems a bit poor effort; but again, not really a set that interests me.

And BIG thanks to the FBTB team for getting us these pics. Super-excited to see all the new sets in stores nonetheless!
majortom

Postby MrCRskater » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:55 pm

Wow, some very informative coverage here. It's great to see the prices and piece counts on these, it's definitely getting us all to take a second look - good or bad - at all of these sets.

The Skiff is a must-have for those with the Sail Barge. It's a pretty nice model and a reasonable value - almost hits the "golden ratio." I'm torn on the new Lando fig, though. He looks great and the helmet is nicely detailed, but almost too detailed. That's another figure bordering on "action figure."

The other kits I'm most interested in are the Gungan Sub and Jabba's Palace, too bad they're both grossly overpriced. Very cool to see that all 3 heroes fit in the forward cockpit on the sub, just like the movie. It's not a perfect model, but nice to have it revisited with some vast improvements. The form is so organic, it's unlikely there will ever be a perfect iteration of that one. I also love EVERYTHING about Jabba's Palace - except the price. $120 for 700 parts?! It'll be interesting to see how that one goes over when the Malevolence will be sitting right next to it on the shelf, same price but with 400 more parts. Let's hope that Jabba's Palace goes on sale early and often.

As for the rest of the line-up, there are some cool things about this or that, but not enough to really win me over. I kinda dig the Republic Strike Fighter and love that there's a chick jedi with it, but the model is a little lack-luster, especially on the bottom. Looks like a sequel of the recent batwing. Same story with Tiin's fighter, love the color scheme and the droid, but it ain't enough to get me to sink some cash into another jedi interceptor. Pre Viszla's fighter is a snore, and as a $40 exclusive at Target, it probably weighs in at less than 250 parts.

Anyway, great coverage, fellas. We're all having a great time surfing through your photos. They really help us get a feel for what's coming!
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby h22chen » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:17 pm

I want to thank you for all the information that you have provided from the toy fair. I really appreciate it and I love many of the sets that Lego is planning to release. Thank you! :D
h22chen

Postby Jabba the Taff » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:41 am

Apart from the Mandalorian Starfighter, I'm very impressed. A nice mix of designs, even the niche sets look good. The Malevolence looks great from the outside, but I'm not so sure about the inside. It looks like it could be fairly bare. I'm surprised at the Gungan Sub seemingly being released on it's own, though I know Amidala's going to be a strong selling point. That's the only other thing really, apart from Jabba's Palace and the Skiff, there's not much in the way of grouping sets (unlike Jan where we had X-wing, Tie, Y-wing etc.) Again, thanks for the coverage.
Jabba the Taff

Postby Walter Boy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:22 pm

Wonderful job on the coverage! Enjoyed seeing all the new pics. :)

That Queen Amidala figure is wonderful!
Walter Boy

Postby Coret » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:56 pm

Personally I am loving the design for the Mandalorian ship. And for being an exclusive it looks to have a piece count very close to the magic 0.10 cent count. But I guess it is personal choice. Alot of this year's sets are too figure driven, I mean look at the Gungan Sub that would be $50 instead of $70 because of Amidala, or Jabba's Palace that is at least $50 more than it should be. At least with Jabba's you get multiple not just one.
Coret

Postby madLEGOman » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:56 pm

Well as best as i can tell (if you can believe the preliminary box art), it looks like the new sets plus the toy fair darth maul will mean a total of 48 minifigures, and it looks like 32 of them will be new, or new variants. not sure what was new about the skiff luke, but the box art said new.. same with the palace han... The atst pilot had a new torso print. couldn't discern any changes to the x-wing pilot so far. Could not identify the character beneath oola on the palace box, but it did not say new for that character.
madLEGOman

Postby GroudonMan » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:56 pm

These pictures have made my day (and week, and month...). I can't wait to see these in person, and hopefully own most of them! Really want that desert skiff set, and that Darth Malgus minifig looks fantastic. Despite the rising costs, it seems like a great time to collect Star Wars Lego.
GroudonMan

Postby maedhros1980 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:47 am

It is too bad we will probably never see KOTOR sets. Chromed-out Sith Troopers. Darth Malak. HK-47. Darth Revan. T3-M4. Ebon Hawk. Harbringer. They probably wouldn't sell worth a crap to the general public, but I'd buy those in a heartbeat. It will be interesting to see how these TOR set sell. I won't play it because I can't let myself get sucked into an MMORPG, but the sets look cool enough.

I like seeing more Mandalorian stuff. Jabba's Palace is right up there too. Thanks for the photos.
maedhros1980

Return to Star Wars