Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

2012 Podracer Challenge

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

2012 Podracer Challenge

Postby Solo » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:09 am

The time has come for the years first contest on FBTB, and we're going to jump right in with a reoccurring favorite: Podracers! We've bumped the build phase to February so everyone has the chance to send their entry in for a group display at LegoLand's Star Wars Days event occurring at the end March. (Optional of course, and details on that will be posted later.)

The theme of this year is Collectible Minifigures. You are to select one minifigure from the six available waves as your pilot and build a themed pod that fits the character. With 96 different figures to chose from and plenty of directions to take with each, we hope to see some fantastic and creative entries.

Build Rules:
• Your pilot must be one of the Collectible Minifigures.
. . . No modifications to the figure will be allowed. Accessories are optional.
. . . No stand-ins if you don't own the figure you want to use for inspiration.
. . . No other characters are to be included (like copilots, pit droids, anyone).
• Standard twin engine design with cockpit in tow, just like previous contests.
• Energy binders are required. They can be brick built or added digitally.

Standard Contest Restrictions:
• No more than one entry per person.
• No more than one person per entry.
• No modified parts or cut stickers.
• No unofficial elements.
• No pre-existing or virtual models.
• No changes allowed after the deadline.

How To Enter:
Submit two photos in a reply to this thread before the deadline (11:59pm PST February 29th 2012):
• The first featuring your pod, with engines up front like this, which will be used as the polling image.
• The second a close up of the minifig at the controls to show off the cockpit.
You must have a forum account to enter. Entries by proxy will be not be allowed.
Optional: include a link to a gallery or MOC Showcase post with more images.
Do not post non-entry photos to the contest thread unless you want to be disqualified.

You must use Flickr to host your entry pictures because we rely on the built in image resizing feature. If you do not have an account, you can sign up for free, or ask someone to upload it for you. Once uploaded you will need to embed the photo in the forum. To do so:
  1. go to the flickr photo page for your image
  2. click the little down arrow above your photo to the right of the icons
  3. click "Grab the HTML/BBCode" from that drop down menu
  4. check the bubble next to "BBCode" (HTML will not work)
  5. copy the code from the box above and paste that into a reply here
  6. do not add any more code tags
  7. click Preview to verify that it worked, then Submit.
If it didn't work, ask for help. Simply linking to your photo will not qualify.

Photography note: Your submission photos should be in landscape format (wider than it is tall). Be sure to submit the best picture possible. Color and contrast correction is recommended if necessary. You are allowed to digitally add the energy binder for this contest. The only other image enhancement allowed is replacing the background with either a solid color or simple gradient, or ideally this prepared background. Your photo cannot be altered in any other way. For example; no composite views, additional special effects, text, graphics, or scenery will be permitted. Remember, the contest is about the models - not your image manipulation prowess.

Voting:
We're going back to the old way of doing things. Voting will occur in two phases. Round one will determine your top 5, with a final round to determine the winner.

Prizes:
Prizes will be awarded to the top 5 from Round 1 with an additional prize to the final round winner.

Winner:
- 1 complete set of 16 minifigures from Collectible Minifigures Series 7 when released.
- 1 copy of 30057 Anakin's Podracer polybag
- 1 copy of 9675 Sebulba's Podracer and Tatooine

Runners Up:
- 1 copy of 30057 Anakin's Podracer polybag
- 1 copy of 9675 Sebulba's Podracer and Tatooine

Disclaimer: these rules may be amended for clarification at any time during the build phase. You are responsible for making sure your entry meets all of the requirements before the deadline. If you have any questions/concerns please post them in this thread or send a PM to Solo.

----- Clarifications -----

Minfigures without proper legs (the genie, any ladies in slope dresses, figures with fixed short legs) can be modified from the waist down to sit in their cockpit.

Regarding the energy binding requirement: Officially, this is what you're recreating. For building purposes, a chain would not convey the effect properly, nor a solid beam or brace of some sort. Fire, electric bolts, or transparent neon elements are ideal. Leaving a gap and adding the effect digitally is also acceptable.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Re: 2012 Podracer Challenge

Postby Sydag » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:24 am

Oh such a great theme, i'm really looking forward to this !
Sydag
Mashup Man

Postby JackJonespaw » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:59 am

Nice! I can't wait to start building!
JackJonespaw

Postby Walter Boy » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:37 am

If I get the time I'd love to enter this. Sounds like fun. I enjoy this year's theme idea too. :)
Walter Boy

Postby roguefx » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:54 am

Gentlemen...start your engines
roguefx
Staff Writer

Postby Astrote713 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:56 am

Looks really cool! I'm definitely going for it! :D
Astrote713

Postby onions » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:48 pm

this was the image i originally wanted to use for the contest:

onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:39 pm

The new image is much better!

This sounds fun. I'll try to enter. One question though: If you don't own the figure, are you still allowed to make a pod for it (i.e. is a pilot required)?
Oky Wan Kenobi

Postby onions » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:06 pm

Your pilot must be one of the Collectible Minifigures.

and

. . . No stand-ins if you don't own the figure you want to use for inspiration.

i don't know how much clearer we can make it. The collectible minifig has to be piloting his/her podracer.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:17 am

OK, thanks. It just wasn't clear if the pilot had to actually be in the pod or not.
Oky Wan Kenobi

Postby Darth Mitz » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:48 am

just a quick clarification on my assumption - apologies in advance if this is an obvious one...

Solo wrote:. . . No modifications to the figure will be allowed. Accessories are optional.

I assumed;
"Accessories are optional" refers only to accessories that are supplied with the minifigure -
and
"no modifications to the figure" includes using different Accessories ie. Evil Dwarf with the Alien's gun (sorry that's a lame example).

Mitz

oops one more question;

the standard rules say "one person per entry" does that include "getting assistance" with the image manipulation ie. backgrounds and energy binders?
Darth Mitz

Postby Solo » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:04 pm

Darth Mitz wrote:I assumed;
"Accessories are optional" refers only to accessories that are supplied with the minifigure -
and
"no modifications to the figure" includes using different Accessories ie. Evil Dwarf with the Alien's gun (sorry that's a lame example).
Exactly. The minifigure must be as packaged, but you don't need to incorporate every item in the bag.

Darth Mitz wrote:the standard rules say "one person per entry" does that include "getting assistance" with the image manipulation ie. backgrounds and energy binders?
That applies to the model. During the last contest the issue of collaborative builds was raised, so this just means no team ups between builders for a joint submission.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Stardusty » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:21 pm

Oh, this is great! I already have some ideas and I really hope I'll find enough time to enter.
Stardusty

Postby Sid Sidious » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:59 pm

When the rules say that the podracer has to have a standard design, could I rotate the racer 90 degrees so that the engines are still on the same plane as the pod, but one engine is above the pod and one is below it? The cockpit would still be in the standard position.
Sid Sidious

Postby Solo » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:06 pm

No. That is not a standard design.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby itchybreath » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:11 pm

I'm really looking forward to multiple variations of all our favorite popular CMFs. Zombie, Spartan, Elf, Hazmat, Dino Suit, Clockwork Robot. Although, I hope to be surprised by any of the lesser popular CMFs taking the win.

This should be very interesting.
itchybreath

Postby Blackninjatom » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:40 am

heheh I think it would interesting to see how well last year's winner would do this year, it's basically the clown figure. I haven't been big on getting the minifigs so I guess I'll have to get one or two. ;)
Blackninjatom

Postby emmtwosix » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:40 am

Here's a good image (not mine) for anyone trying to decide on or come up with a good minifig to use:

http://www.ka-go.net/postimg/20111015_i-me-some-minifigs/poster.html

Though series 7 is clearly off limits :)
emmtwosix

Postby Chief » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:57 am

Thanks for sharing that, it's perfect :)
Chief

Postby star wars envy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:58 am

sweet, i will try this one.
star wars envy

Next

Return to Contests & Community Builds