Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Review: 9480 Finn McMissile

The official Lego set review forum. Please read the Guidelines before posting!

Review: 9480 Finn McMissile

Postby Staff » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:36 am

9480 Finn McMissile

I have a confession. I have yet to be compelled to watch Cars 2. You might ask yourself, “Why then, did you, Mr. Reviewer, buy a Cars 2 LEGO set?” I chose this set because of its tangential relationship so another series of films I have seen many, many times. James Bond. Yes, I bought 9480 Finn McMissile on the sole fact the character was based on the Aston Martin DB5. And LEGO’s effort kind of resembles it.
9480 Box Front9480 Box Back

Okay, maybe I’m reaching a bit to say 9480 "kind of" resembles it, but this is as physically close as we’re going to get with this scale and part selection. With 9480 Finn McMissile you get 52 pieces for $6.99. Not great, not terrible. It’s a fairly cheap source of medium blue parts, though that diminishes when you consider a bulk of the car is made of less than five pieces. I should also note a disappointing error on the back of the box. What looks like a 2x4 tile in medium blue does not exist in this set. It’s just regular old blue.
9480 Finn's Front

It’s a straightforward build. You get what you see, essentially. The eye and mouth printing—as far as I can tell—are exclusive to this set. I’m not sure what Finn’s eyes are doing. Concentrating? Scoping out a target? Seizing?
9480 Finn's Boot

Finn's boot is the poorest designed area of the set. The taillights end to soon and in doing so disrupt the flow of the car, which, even with the array of gadgetry flowed remarkably well, due in part to those bulky pieces.
9480 Finn's Studded Headlights9480 Finn's Printed Tiles

Also, does anyone know what the deal is with these headlights? It’s cool to get the new 1x1 round tile, but this looks awkward with the two different pieces. Apparently both of the 2012 sets he appears in are like this. Luckily the set includes enough extra pieces to create a little more symmetry.
9480 Finn's McMissile9480 Finn's Top

He comes with an assortment of gadgets: a machine gun, a radar dish, a heads-up display, and, of course, a missile (a McMissile?). As a flick-fire missile it works as well as expected with a range of a few inches or so. The problem with the gadgets, however, is their points of attachment. Remove the gadgets and you can see the results for yourself in the pics. He cut himself shaving.
9480 Finn's Bare Side

Pros:
+Exclusive eye and mouth printing.
+Weapons for car on car carnage.
+Cheapest way to get Finn, unless you want all the Finns (he appears in five sets).
+Sort of resembles an Aston Martin. I guess it’s the closest we’ll get to LEGO James Bond.

Cons:
-No extra pieces included to alter his appearance to “normal.” Not that I would expect it, but two additional tiles isn’t much to ask for.
-Sand blue would’ve been a more accurate color than medium blue.

Verdict:
This little car has a lot more going for it than I expected and doesn't look as cheesy at first glance with his gadgets. If you’re into the Cars films or LEGO’s offerings, this is a fun and worthwhile set to pick up.

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/01/06/review-9480-finn-mcmissile/
Staff

Re: Review: 9480 Finn McMissile

Postby legomason » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:38 am

They need to make some kind of "headlight extender" piece for the back there. Pretty much a 1x1 headlight but curved on top. Would come in handy for the use on front ends as well.

I wonder if you could contact Lego about the 2x4 tile not being the same color as pictured on the box.
legomason

Postby cas » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:03 pm

I don't think it would make a difference. The part doesn't exist in medium blue at all.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby Fat Tony » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:43 pm

Also, does anyone know what the deal is with these headlights?

The 1x1 round tile represents Finn's missle launcher/torpedo tube, if I remember correctly.
Fat Tony

Postby brickster90 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:02 pm

Fat Tony is correct. For the other issue (the eyes), you would know if you saw the movie. Finn is squinting to line up his shot perfectly (from the missile tube behind the headlight) so that it hits an incoming missile.
brickster90

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:27 pm

I thought that piece is supposed to be his photo camera. You know, the one he used on the oil rig? I thought that's why he comes with that piece in that set as well.

And seriously, you still haven't watched Cars 2? GO WATCH IT! NOW! It's a good movie. Certainly not PIxar's best, but it's by miles better than the first Cars in my opinion (See what I did there?).
Oky Wan Kenobi

Postby Stardusty » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:30 am

My thoughts exactly. I thought it was the camera for the whole time.

It would be much nicer if LEGO included 1x1 round tiles with red dot Finn releases out of his wheel hubs.
Scene with military ship always brings a smile to my face.

BEEP!

BEEP!

BEEP!

BEEP! BEEP!

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!
BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP

And then you see a huge explosion. XD
Stardusty

Postby cas » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:26 pm

Thanks for the clarifications. I thought it was just an alternative headlight, though that doesn't make any sense. I'll probably get around to watching it eventually. It's only the second Pixar film I never saw in the cinema (the other was A Bug's Life).
cas
Staff Writer

Postby onions » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:19 am

Oky Wan Kenobi wrote:And seriously, you still haven't watched Cars 2? GO WATCH IT! NOW! It's a good movie. Certainly not PIxar's best, but it's by miles better than the first Cars in my opinion (See what I did there?).

i respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree with you about Cars 2 being better than the first. it could not have been more painful to sit through.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby scandell » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:04 pm

I totally agree with onions on this one. You sir are quite insane. The first one had beauty and the "love of the road" going for it. The second one was a badly written saturday morning cartoon plot.
scandell

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:38 am

legomason wrote:They need to make some kind of "headlight extender" piece for the back there. Pretty much a 1x1 headlight but curved on top

Are the studs on which the taillights are mounted hollow? Then maybe this piece in trans-red could work.
Gingerbeard Man

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:08 pm

scandell wrote:I totally agree with onions on this one. You sir are quite insane. The first one had beauty and the "love of the road" going for it. The second one was a badly written saturday morning cartoon plot.

Well, I enjoyed it anyway for what it was, a quirky throwback to James Bond movies. The first one was just too slow for me and was only truly enjoyable for those who have that "love of the road". I guess I don't have it, but that's no reason to call me insane.
Oky Wan Kenobi

Return to Reviews