Earn Double the VIP Points on everly shop.LEGO.com purchase!  Valid April 1-15, 2014.

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

New box sizes?

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

Re: New box sizes?

Postby Tomahawker » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:36 pm

ufjason wrote:So I walk into my local target today and most every box was minisized. It was crazy, even the Kingdom Castle and the Airport were around 2/3 the size. Some were half size like the new star wars battle packs, the seaplane, police car. I took a bunch of pictures that I'll upload a little later. Toy Story got the treatment as well as some special edition sets like the new bank and cad bane's speeder. I agree with the smaller size of boxes for a few reasons. They can stock more on the shelf while taking less shelf space. This may even allow for a larger variety of sets at big box retailers that have done so much damage to TRU and other stand alone toy stores. They use less cardboard which is very green of them and always seemed a waste to me. Since the sets are moving around less you'll get fewer broken parts not that I've had a big issue with that. Anyways, good move Lego!

I saw the same thing at my local target today. Probably most startling to me was to see sets like the Hogwarts Castle and Clone Turbo Tank that were about 40% smaller than the older boxes. I wonder if parents will have sticker shock when they see these small boxes retailing for $120 or more.

I do like the new sizes and I applaud TLG for the move. One thing that surprises me though is how Lego made no effort to promote these “greener” box sizes. There is nothing written on the boxes, and no promotional signage. It seems to me like a missed opportunity to highlight the smaller box sizes and turn what might be perceived as a negative into a positive.
Tomahawker

Postby MisterFubar » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:09 pm

Finally saw the new box sizes at a Target earlier today. Were my eyes deceiving me or did the POP sets get the smaller box treatment? I guess after seeing them on clearance everywhere around the holidays I just assumed they weren't being produced anymore but the Desert Attack set was definitely in the new smaller battle pack sized box.
MisterFubar

Postby that guy » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:16 pm

I was a little curious to see about the Series 4 Minifigs and what the packaging would bring but alas it is still the same size bag when I picked them up today. I personally think it's just right but I thought maybe they were going to take a size cut too but glad they didn't.
that guy

Postby skyward72 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:48 am

Sorry to bring up an old topic, but what happened to the smaller boxes?

I haven't seen a small SW box since late summer? It appears that the boxes for upcoming wave are of the same old size, Battle packs anyway.
skyward72

Postby Morgan19 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:17 pm

It seems unclear whether this is fact or just more variation in shipments, but Toys N Bricks has a post about new inventory seemingly using the larger boxes again.

m19
Morgan19

Postby Tomahawker » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:05 pm

In my neck of the woods, the larger box sizes came back months ago. My local Target was the first to get the reduced box sizes in the POTC, HP, and City sets. After that wave was sold through I saw the larger box sizes return to the shelves. My guess is that most parents (who already think LEGO is outrageously expensive) perceived the value was even worse when a $50 set was smaller than a similar $20 MB set.
Tomahawker

Postby Rook » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:29 am

"Judge me by my size do you?"

I actually caught myself thinking that when I bought the new Ninjago expander packs. The polybag at that price seems like I was geting robbed and thought I wish this was in a box. :x
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby Mofo Jones » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:42 pm

A while back, my local Target had the POTC Captain's Cabin in both sizes at once. I did a doubletake at first because I thought it was some new set, not the same set in a smaller box. Of course, the problem isn't the box size of the small sets but rather the box size of the medium to large sets - no reason those boxes couldn't be reduced in size.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby WarlordJHW » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:00 pm

some people dont have the penny extra! help the poor ones!
Gosh, is that Cheetos on your keyboard?
Spoiler: show
Kingdoms and Castles, what should I choose?
WarlordJHW

Postby MrCRskater » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:19 pm

In surfing the LEGO store after the holiday, it was obvious that they've abandoned the smaller boxes. Shame on them! I can understand the value issue to a certain degree, but as one of the leading toy companies on the market I think they have a greater environmental responsibility. Also, the smaller boxes made it easier to hide new acquisitions from the missus. . .
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Previous

Return to General LEGO Discussions