Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO's Next Precious: LEGO Lord of the Rings & The Hobbit

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Re: LEGO's Next Precious: LEGO Lord of the Rings & The Hobbi

Postby Flynn » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:38 am

ImpendingDoom wrote:Ca'mon, it wouldn't be LEGO without the minifigs. I meant other non-human creatures when i referred to "newer molds".

My point is that the minifigure established by LEGO is of its own unique design and style, and purposely isn't proportioned at all like an actual human body. Thus, all the new 'realistic' molds and prints are rather incongruous with that style, and make the figures tend to look too much like a miniature action figure than a component of a unique building toy. It's just something that's been bothering me since LEGO took on the Clone Wars branch of sets.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby spud405 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:50 am

Hey guys, new to these forums, but I thought I'd post this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkeZHJIg ... Ul9nr39lJQ

It's a youtube link to pictures of the new LOTR sets from Lego Pictures HQ. I'd probably look at them before they are taken down. I must say I'm quite impressed with these. The set list that was posted on a previous page looks pretty accurate.
spud405

Postby alldarker » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:43 am

spud405 wrote:Hey guys, new to these forums, but I thought I'd post this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkeZHJIg ... Ul9nr39lJQ

It's a youtube link to pictures of the new LOTR sets from Lego Pictures HQ. I'd probably look at them before they are taken down. I must say I'm quite impressed with these. The set list that was posted on a previous page looks pretty accurate.

Thanks for the link! They are about as much as I expected (very nice alround, short legged Hobbits, Cave Troll!), except for Helm's Deep, which actually far exceeds my expectations!
Remember, flvto.com and keepvid.com are handy sites at times like these ;)
alldarker

Postby brickster90 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:50 am

First video of the sets!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkeZHJIg ... m4JX-DcnEs

EDIT: Oops! Look like I'm too late.
brickster90

Postby JamesBenjamin » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:55 am

What's up with the horse in the Urikai Army set?

And it seems like every set has too many minifigs compared to what we're used to. This is jarring.

Also: the cave troll appears to be an un-colored white prototype. The "minifigs included" pic has him colored and drawn (instead of a pic of the fig) too.

WEIRD.
We are such stuff as manure is made of, so let's drink up and forget it... -Eugiene O'Neill
JamesBenjamin

Postby Blacknight » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:52 am

Probably the fact that Lego got the action figure license entitles them to make lots of figs. And they thought it was needed to convey the "epicness" of LOTR. Though really, Frodo is in every set almost - he's the new Luke/Harry Potter.

And yeah, the scale is pretty LOL bad on these - they're all about as dorky as one might expect from Lego's take on the license. Glad I won't be tempted to sink much into this line. Rearing horsey, Gandalf's cart and uruk-hai armor are kind of neat, though.

Perhaps it will be up to UCS architecture shop at home exclusives to do justice to the cities/monuments, at non-minifig scale.
Blacknight

Postby Jabba the Taff » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:40 am

I'm really hoping the Ringwraiths horses have a new print. Somehow, I feel they need to be much more differentiated from normal horses. Other than that, I'm pretty happy at what's there. Lots of connected sets spring to mind for the second wave. Also love the new bricks brick.

^ I definitely think there's more chance of UCS sets considering the fanbase for LotR compared to even IJ, PotC etc. There could be some astonishing sets then.
Jabba the Taff

Postby Chief » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:17 am

Helm's Deep could have been way way worse. I'm happy with all the sets in the line, but especially that one. I think this prelim at least captures what it should be.
Chief

Postby cas » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:29 am

It's hard to tell by these pics, but are the horses updated with articulated or semi-articulated legs or is it CG embellishment? Or are there two completely different horse molds? I hope those horses aren't permanently stuck in the reared up position, because that's ridiculous.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby buriedbybricks » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:14 am

Unless someone knows anything specific, I doubt the "actions figures" wording is anything more that Variety not knowing that LEGO figs have a specific name. They do after all refer to "legos" elsewhere in the article. I think it's just their way of mentioning that LEGO has license to create figs in the images of the characters.

There is nothing in the LEGO press release refering to action figures and Variety also notes the plans to make a Frodo "toy" under the pic in the article. I think this all amounts to miscommunication on Variety's part.

It makes sense in the Super Heroes line with the popularity of those action figures, but I doubt we'll see it here.

As for the set pics, does anyone else get a cheap rehash vibe off of Shelob? Looks like a watered down version of the Creator "Fierce Creatures" spider.
buriedbybricks

Postby INOJ247 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:22 pm

Yeah, I think Shelob is a re-hash of the "Creator" spider, but I bet they make some alterations to it, got to have her stinger in their for sure.

I am also really happy with Helms Deep being a full on Castle and not just a wall or the gate. I think that Lego did a good job scaling down that and Weathertop to be manageable/cost effective for the child/casual collector.

UCS architecture models for the King Statues, Major Castles, and some other places are a great idea; and I think they will appeal to a different base, which is good for LEGO to capitalize on the license.

The best part of seeing these early pics is that the sets can only get better. it's clear from the Moria mock-up that these are preliminary and will go through at least two rounds of refinement/approval before we get to see the final images.
INOJ247

Postby gamjuven » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:01 pm

I personally am very disappointed with these sets so far. It looks like nothing is new. The armor, pieces, everything looks like an MOC from a fan, not something official. It looks like any other LOTR thing someone has created and looks kinda cheap. It is still very early though so I'm hoping it improves. There is a ton of stuff they can do with everything. I personally can't wait to have a Rohan cavalry unit and last alliance elves.

I was hoping we'd get moria goblins with cool new helmets like they had in the movies.
gamjuven

Postby ufjason » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:48 pm

Wow, I was excited to see what we would get and I'm left just okay with the sets. The constructed parts just seem thrown together as back drop to a huge number of minifigures in each set. The exception of helm's deep which is pretty recognizable, with play features that will probably mimic the movie action scenes. Definitely look like prototypes with generic cut outs and molds for the unmade figures so these could look a lot better. Hopefully Lego reads these forums and takes action.
eBay store, contact me if you'd like to perform trades from my inventory. I'm looking for original genosian fighers, second version a-wing fighters and tie bombers. I may be interested in other sets so let me know what you have.
ufjason

Postby ImpendingDoom » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:40 pm

They are only preliminaries. Thats why they are thrown together.
ImpendingDoom

Postby darth_fett » Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:25 pm

Dang, i missed the video. Did anyone see what the one ring looked like? I'm genuinely curious how they did it. After all the giant ring shrunk to fit on bilbo's hand after it was lopped off of Sauron. I wouldn't mind a giant ring, was just hoping its something physical over a picture on a block. I kinda wish they had the round tile for Jack Sparrow's compass now.
darth_fett

Postby RancorRider8 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:49 pm

Haha! Finally! Lego LotR!

Hi, I'm a newbie...
Rancors are neither cuddly, nor cute. But it's one heck of a riding experience!
(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
RancorRider8

Postby Tong » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:39 am

I found pictures of 6 of the LOTR sets here:

http://www.lordofthebrick.com/2011/12/l ... amme-2012/
Catch me weekly on Beyond the Brick podcast at Brickpodcast.com
Tong

Postby TooMuchDew » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:18 am

"legofrik" one of the Admins from the Slovenian LUG Kocke Klub was at the International Toy Fair - Nuremberg 2012 and posted a few pictures from the show with an overview of LEGO Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, Monster Hunter, Friends, City (Construction-Mining) and Technic. http://www.kocke.si/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6277
TooMuchDew

Postby PaulBaldowski » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:33 am

I have grave concerns about my wallet for 2012. Between this, Marvel and various new mini-fig sets, I daren't consider how much cash I'm likely to part with this year. There I was, satisfied to get an elf in one of the mini-fig booster packets, but now I'll have hobbits, elves, dwarfs and more besides. Poor me.
PaulBaldowski

Postby Pro_Ice » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:26 pm

I don't know if this is old news or 'new news' but US minisite got updated with CGI pics and bio for every LOTR minifig. And, I must say, they are gorgeous. Check that out!
Pro_Ice

PreviousNext

Return to Licensed Themes