Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Review: 30130 MINI Black Pearl

The official Lego set review forum. Please read the Guidelines before posting!

Review: 30130 MINI Black Pearl

Postby Staff » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:06 pm

30130 MINI The Black Pearl

There isn't much to this review so I won't bother with the more link.

30130 MINI Black Pearl is a Target-exclusive in the US and is only available pre-packaged with Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides 3D Blu-ray Limited Edition 5-disc set. In the UK, they were given away earlier this year as a Sun newspaper promotion. Free is about the right price for this set. By itself, it's a terrible representation of the iconic pirate ship. Since I am not a big Pirates fan nor do I have a 3D television, the only reason I bought it was to do this review and hopefully save a few of you readers out there from making a terrible purchase.

Target-exclusive Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides 3D Blu-ray Limited Edition 5-disc set

What I liked: Nothing. Since technically it's 'free', it's a neat little bonus to get some extra LEGO bits

What I didn't: It's a terrible model. It's obvious just by looking at the sails how inaccurate the model is. Adding a few more plates and clips and a longer bar for the center could have easily remedied the inadequate number of sails. The MINI model also has an inverted brown cone which I believe is supposed to represent a Crow's Nest which the Black Pearl doesn't even have. A 1x1 clip plate could have replaced it and represent the flag. And the bow of the ship? Hideous. I mean, who the heck is designing this thing and what are they basing it off of?

Verdict: Save your $30 bucks and put it towards the System scale 4184 The Black Pearl. Unless you're a hardcore Pirates fan that has a 3D home theater system and doesn't mind ugly LEGO sets, you're better off spending your money on something else.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2011/10/19/review-30130-mini-black-pearl/
Staff

Re: Review: 30130 MINI Black Pearl

Postby mdilthey » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:47 pm

That was... Brutal. Poor Mini-Pearl. IT'S JUST TRYING TO GET BY, MAN!
mdilthey

Postby Brainslugged » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:45 am

mdilthey wrote:That was... Brutal. Poor Mini-Pearl. IT'S JUST TRYING TO GET BY, MAN!

I agree. That poor little Black Pearl must be stunned right now. 30 (?) pieces, FREE and it gets a total smackdown. I think an apology is in order once you calm down from whatever pissed you off today.
Brainslugged

Postby onions » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:56 am

newp. i stand by my review: it's a terrible model. it looks more like a chinese junk style ship than the black pearl.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby itchybreath » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:43 am

looks like an easy review that could've been made without the purchase. ahaha.
itchybreath

Postby jedicrippler » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:11 pm

Just a note, it's only $25 if you use the Disney coupon. Plus considering that the regular BD/DVD combo pack is only 2 discs & $23, a $2 difference for a bonus BD disc, Digital copy, the 3D copy (to future proof yourself) & the mini Pearl set is a pretty dang good deal.
jedicrippler

Postby ted @ndes » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:34 pm

Reading this frank and candid review made my day. :lol: Still cracking up. Thanks for keeping it real.
ted @ndes
Alpha Male

Return to Reviews