Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

With Great Licensing Comes Great Responsibility

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Re: With Great Licensing Comes Great Responsibility

Postby bouchj45 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:03 am

ONIONS.....do you have any theories as to whether they will eventually release a GL minifigure?

Do you think there might be any store exclusives that have figures not included in the list we got from ComicCon?
bouchj45

Postby onions » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:35 pm

theories? i have lots of theories.

i think it would have to make good business sense for them to do green lantern. since the movie just went by and stunk up the box office, it was definitely a missed opportunity. if another movie is in the works, or even a lego green lantern video game, it might opportunity enough to warrant doing a gl figure, but it would be different than the promotional one given away at Comic Con. The one at comic con was based on the movie and i'm 99% sure that that design won't ever be used again assuming another gl figure is made.

there's a slight chance they may just do a general dc comics series of sets at some point and include green lantern in his greenlanternmobile, but with licensed sets, they are usually released to coincide with something.

i say 99% sure because while i'm basing my statements on the conversations I had, lego may change their minds at any moment.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:08 pm

The fact that there is a Wonder Woman fig shows that they are at least WILLING to produce stuff even when there is no sign of a movie to tie-in to. I really hope that the fact that they got the complete DC license means that they DO intend to do general comics based sets, and Wonder Woman is a good sign. Otherwise, why bother with the whole license?
Mister Ed

Postby JamesBenjamin » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:43 am

Isn't there a WW movie coming though?

And while the GL movie may have bombed, there's no reason he couldn't get stuck into another large set, or in a "superfriends" set, or something.

Also isn't lego planning a "Lego Superheroes" game like the SW, IJ, and Batman games? They could put pretty much anything in there and later make sets off it.
We are such stuff as manure is made of, so let's drink up and forget it... -Eugiene O'Neill
JamesBenjamin

Postby Mister Ed » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:32 am

JamesBenjamin wrote:Isn't there a WW movie coming though?

There's been a Wonder Woman movie "coming" for years. Last I heard there is nothing concrete at the moment.

JamesBenjamin wrote:And while the GL movie may have bombed, there's no reason he couldn't get stuck into another large set, or in a "superfriends" set, or something.

I hope not. First off, I'll likely be unable to afford such large set, and second, I REALLY think a GL set with GL, Sinestro, and a bunch of Trans. Green and Trans. Yellow pieces with instructions for multiple constructs would be awesome, and would really make the most of the fact that, of all the Superheroes, GL, with his creative constructs, has the most natural connection to the LEGO play experience, IMHO.

JamesBenjamin wrote:Also isn't lego planning a "Lego Superheroes" game like the SW, IJ, and Batman games? They could put pretty much anything in there and later make sets off it.

I HOPE so. A Lego Justice League game would be great (though with a movie coming, LEGO Avengers seems a safer bet to be first) but I haven't heard any announcements to that effect.
Mister Ed

Postby buriedbybricks » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:13 pm

Looking at that Minifig line up it feels like LEGO is either trying to fill a contractual obligation to feature the big three (DC's holy trinity) in order to get more Batman, or throwing in WW to try to appeal to girls. WW has always had a strong female following and moreso in the last few years. I'm suprised there's no mention of Flash, that's a missed opportunity for some nifty play features.
buriedbybricks

Previous

Return to Licensed Themes