Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Any info? [Identifying large scale minfig]

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Any info? [Identifying large scale minfig]

Postby Alifbaa » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:12 am

Hi there,

First time post on here, and apologies if this isn't the correct section of the forum. I'm trying to get some info on a large display figure for my brother, which he bought years ago, but I've yet to find anything definitive. This makes me think that it isn't genuine, but hopefully someone can help me out here. The only info I have is that it's a Clone Wars version Obi Wan Kenobi, and it is around 20 inches tall (basically a large version of the lego figure). I would post a pic but I'm not too sure how to.

Many thanks in advance,

A
Alifbaa

Re: Any info?

Postby GIR3691 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:01 am

That sounds like a store display. My local Target has a Vader with light up saber about that large in a plastic case. Never heard of an Obi Wan before, but with Clone Wars the driving force of the line, that wouldn't be too surprising.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Re: Any info?

Postby Feralcom » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:09 am

Did they make an Obi-Wan version of the minfig clocks? I know they made Anakin, Yoda, Stormy and Vader. I seem to remember seeing an Obi-Wan, but my mind ain't what it use to be.
Feralcom

Re: Any info? [Identifying large scale minfig]

Postby Alifbaa » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:45 am

Many thanks for your replies, it sounds like he has something genuine judging by what you have told me. I'm fairly sure that it doesn't have anything extra like a lightsaber or a clock, or if it did then it wasn't there when he bought it (from a shop here in the UK). If anything else springs to mind then I'd appreciate it.

All the best,

A
Alifbaa

Postby skyward72 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:26 pm

Is it made out of Lego bricks?
skyward72

Postby Alifbaa » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:51 am

Hi Skyward,

No it's made out of solid plastic. I'm posting a picture to give you a better idea.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66147820@N07/6024605427/

Thanks,

A
Alifbaa

Postby alldarker » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:35 am

The size and detailing seem to indicate it's the real deal. The large scale store display minifigs are approximately 19" tall, so that would fit with the size you are describing. I can't find anything on the 19" Obi-Wan figure either, but like GIR3691 mentions above (and your photo indicates!), chances are very good they were made.

These figures are pretty hard to come by for regular people; I think very limited numbers are made for in-store display use only, and they usually need to be sent back after a certain period of time.
alldarker

Postby StoutFiles » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:54 am

This looks like a Target display. Since they won't sell their displays to customers and are instructed to send them back and/or destroy them per Lucasarts licensing agreements, it would appear you have a very rare figure. For resell purposes it would be beneficial to find proof of it's origin though.
StoutFiles

Postby azblue » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:34 am

It does look more like the Episode II Obi-Wan from the Jedi Starfighter set. I kind of recognize it, but I don't remember from where. Maybe it came from one of the Mall kiosks from back in '02?
azblue

Postby Alifbaa » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:49 am

Thanks alldarker, StoutFiles, and azblue for the info. I'll get in touch with my brother and ask him to confirm the size. The Target store link is interesting as this was bought in the UK, and from an independent retailer as far as I know, but originally I presume it came from a similar UK chain store that carried the displays. Whether my brother is going to resell it, I'm not sure, but at least he's got a better idea now about the figure.

Thanks,

A
Alifbaa

Postby onions » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:24 pm

i'm curious how stoutfiles came to it being a target display. those types of minifigs are/were made for any retailer from big box stores to mom and pop shops. plus, the way target stocks their shelves, it leaves very little room for decoration.

very difficult to acquire one through any normal means. the vader one that is currently in target stores right now has some electronics in it to turn the head and light up the lightsaber at a push of a button. it's all enclosed in a plexiglass case. here's the article fbtb did on it:

http://www.fbtb.net/2010/08/24/luls-dar ... r-returns/

yours looks like the real deal though i'm not aware of any star wars ones ever made or ever seen at a store. he might have one of very few in the world.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Alifbaa » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:15 am

Thanks guys for your help with this. I should be able to post a few more photos shortly. As for the origins of the figure, my brother recalled that the shop owner who sold it to him said that it had come from a toy rep originally (not sure if he was a Lego rep though). I think some of the limbs are fixed too.

Best,

A
Alifbaa

Postby Alifbaa » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:19 pm

Ok, I've updated the photos to give you all a better idea of the figure. One correction to my earlier comments though, the limbs do move. The photos are here http://www.flickr.com/photos/66147820@N07/?savedsettings=6030598956#photo6030598956

Best,

A
Alifbaa

Postby Hartmann » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:32 pm

Hi, please forget me

I think it's strange

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66147820@N07/6030044153/in/photostream/

His Legs look like blue, then some one paint to be white

this is my 19 inch minifig, blue legs

Hartmann

Postby Alifbaa » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:21 pm

Hi there Hartmann,

I agree with you. The bottom of the feet are indeed strange, which is one of the reasons why I posted the photo. The only explanation I can think of is that this is some kind of 'standard' large-scale minifig that was customised for the promotion, and received an additional coat of paint. That's just a guess though, but there doesn't appear to be much more information from the posts so far.

I'd actually thought that this thread had gone cold, but I must thank whoever wrote and posted the front page article asking for further information, and to everyone who has offered their thoughts so far. I've showed the article to my brother and tried to glean some more info from him about when he bought it. As far as we can both remember, I pointed it out to him as being on display in the window of a rather ordinary newsagents where he was living at the time. When he enquired about it and made the owner an offer, the story went something along the lines of a toy rep (I'm presuming it must have been a Lego rep) had left it with the owner as a promotional item, as part of an attempt by the shop owner to branch out into toy sales. The fact that it really was an average shop in an average town was probably why the venture was never really a success, and when my brother bought it, the shop owner was in the process of closing down that particular side of the business. It was around 2003 when he bought it, which would appear to be contemporary with the date mentioned in the article.

Anyway, thanks again!

Alifbaa
Alifbaa

Return to Star Wars