Earn Double the VIP Points on everly shop.LEGO.com purchase!  Valid April 1-15, 2014.

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Alphabet Fighter Contest: VOTE HERE

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Please select your FIVE favorite Alphabet Fighters

Poll ended at Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:18 am

2%
0%
0%
7%
8%
0%
0%
1%
2%
0%
0%
3%
3%
4%
1%
2%
0%
1%
1%
0%
5%
1%
2%
1%
1%
2%
0%
3%
0%
0%
2%
1%
5%
1%
1%
1%
0%
3%
3%
2%
4%
0%
0%
0%
0%
3%
0%
2%
2%
2%
2%
0%
1%
2%
3%
0%
1%
1%
0%
1%
1%
0%
3%
0%
1%

Total votes : 619

Alphabet Fighter Contest: VOTE HERE

Postby Staff » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:13 am

VETAiMiWkEFWTHEQlXQLIhWfiKWHbDGFVTDLZDJBOEOTRaJEVCROWGgGVQGEPSHZEXETYYULZ

That's either some secret Imperial code or the spread of Alphabet Fighters built for the contest, ordered by submission date. Possibly both. Incredible turnout for this challenge - piles of great entries and some real creativity everywhere - now is the time to cast your votes! You can pick up to five entries and the poll will close in seven days from now.

This contest brought to you by every letter but N, because not a single member decided to build an N-wing fighter. Sure, you could knock one of the three Z-wings on their nose and call it a day, but that's just adding insult to injury. The most popular choice among builders was E, with eight total variants, better than ten percent of the pool.

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2011/08/02/vetaimiw ... exetyyulz/
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6121
Staff

Re: Alphabet Fighter Contest: VOTE HERE

Postby Solo » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:26 am

And just for fun, if you want to hear R2D2 reading the "code" above, give this a click.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby brickster90 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:38 am

Great contest again, FBTB! If I get more votes than the last contest (which won't be hard), I'll be happy. Good luck, and may the best ship win!
brickster90

Postby Chief » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:02 am

Minor correction: Cole Blaq's entry has an N configuration (among all the others.) He could have submitted that version and it would be just as legit as his D-wing entry.
Chief

Postby dWhisper » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:26 am

On behalf of all people who's name starts with an N, I would like to express OUTRAGE!
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Rook » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:33 am

Ah I forgot that you guys said the letter shape image was going be used in voting. My R-Wing looks like crap from that angle. Oh well I got to pay attention to those details.
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby Stardusty » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:23 am

Chief wrote:Minor correction: Cole Blaq's entry has an N configuration (among all the others.) He could have submitted that version and it would be just as legit as his D-wing entry.

Every Z/z-wing also has N-wing configuration, although there wasn't one extra picture for it. ;)

It's interesting that last letter of alphabet was used for last entry.
Stardusty

Postby Solo » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:26 am

Ry is technically correct (the best kind of correct) - so if we consider all the configurations in that ship, then N was rightfully represented in the contest with 1/13th of an entry. I bet N's parents are proud.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby swils » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:36 pm

I wanted to submit an entry for this, I loved the idea of the contest. Real life got in the way, though. Picked a letter, and even got the wings done, but never settled on a fuselage design I liked. C'est la vie!

More to the topic, there are a ton of great entries here. Pretty much every submission is a creative and impressive spacecraft. I think, though, that the deciding factor here, aside from visual appeal, is going to be how well the craft could fit in the SW universe. As I mentioned, there's *lots* of beautiful ships, but I can't see all of them fitting in the universe (past, present, or future/expanded).

Nonetheless, great job everyone, and best of luck to you all!
swils

Postby hansok49 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:39 pm

Awesome contest so many good entries it was hard to choose just 5
hansok49

Postby madLEGOman » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:28 pm

Wow, lots of great entries everybody. very fun contest fbtb. amazed the whole alphabet got covered, even with cole's help. Think rook's right about the angles.. unfortunate, but it would be difficult logistically and visually confusing to show so many entries from multiple angles. and hey, i guess it showcases everybody's font work =)
madLEGOman

Postby blas.t46 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:45 am

The valuation is based only on votes or there is also a jury? and when is the end of voting period?
blas.t46

Postby Stardusty » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:43 am

It's only voting, but if someone is tied for first, second or third palce, staff decides who wons that
place and staff's decision is final.

How long poll will last is written above the poll. ;)
Stardusty

Postby SuperDave » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:13 am

Of course, I have not one but two incomplete N-type fighters on my build table. :-)
SuperDave

Postby sparkart » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:20 am

I like these contests because they help remind me that Star Wars takes place in a wonderful, colorful, galaxy of variety.

I was seven when I saw A New Hope in movie theatres; I grew up waiting summer after summer for "the next" Star Wars movie. The story of a simple farm-boy's heroic actions changing the politics of a galaxy was really inspiring to me (What? I was seven!). When the Star Wars main story degenerated into a protracted family feud, the galaxy of possibilities shrank, and I was disappointed.

Sorry for the rant. But thanks for the contest and thanks to the contestants for sharing all their crazy-cool creations.
sparkart

Postby onions » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:39 am

sparkart wrote:I like these contests because they help remind me that Star Wars takes place in a wonderful, colorful, galaxy of variety.

I was seven when I saw A New Hope in movie theatres; I grew up waiting summer after summer for "the next" Star Wars movie. The story of a simple farm-boy's heroic actions changing the politics of a galaxy was really inspiring to me (What? I was seven!). When the Star Wars main story degenerated into a protracted family feud, the galaxy of possibilities shrank, and I was disappointed.

Sorry for the rant. But thanks for the contest and thanks to the contestants for sharing all their crazy-cool creations.

and where is your entry mr. ghost rider?
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby ka.lego » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:05 am

First off, it was really painful choosing five. Praise/Props/Hats Offs/Kudos (eew)/You Rules to everyone who participated in this. I've been watching and, as usual, have been impressed by all the amazing entries. There are some ships here that really helped redefine what ships could look like, in my head. Much like the visual design of the Star Wars universe did many years ago for me, which brings me to...

sparkart wrote:I like these contests because they help remind me that Star Wars takes place in a wonderful, colorful, galaxy of variety.... Sorry for the rant. But thanks for the contest and thanks to the contestants for sharing all their crazy-cool creations.

Echo that completely. I haven't really been able to participate in the contests for a while now, but the old Bounty Hunter one was the first and only building contest I've ever participated in. I was moved to do so because of the sheer "coolness factor" of the theme; the only reason I haven't done more of the subsequent contests is because of the sad reality that I haven't had nearly the same amount of time to build. (I did start some entries though! Ha.) So yeah, congrats to FBTB for putting on yet another great contest and always seeming to get such quality entries.

As a Star Wars Geek, the LEGO stuff definitely fuels my continued interest in the property, because the prequels were just "alright" to me and the Clone Wars, while entertaining and visually amazing, definitely isn't directed at old folks like me. So yeah, FBTB's contests definitely keep my SW fires stoked. Now, combine that with the Art/Design Geek in me and...well...game over. I love this Alphabet Contest especially because of the Typographic component. If I were teaching Art this year, I'd definitely use these entries as examples of the possibilities of Type, but budget cuts being what they are, I'm an English/Social Studies teacher this year.

So all that to point out that this was an awesome contest for many different reasons. It's also an official letter of regret, for what it's worth, that I haven't been able to participate more in both contests and the forum. Someday. In the meantime, I'll just keep sending my occasional "shout outs" via my blog, Ka-GO and random forum posts like this one.
ka.lego

Postby sparkart » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:02 pm

onions wrote:...and where is your entry mr. ghost rider?

Hey, I brought a high-value vowel fighter to this Wheel of Fortune competition, Vanna.

I picked up the pieces from my Bothcon entry (thanks again for those) and started over. I was able to put a little more thought and care into it this time around.

I didn't impose a 45-minute limit on myself, but I did impose a time-limit of sorts. I think it's a good idea to start training for the next Bothcon build-on-the-spot event.
sparkart

Postby mdilthey » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:37 pm

You posted my fighter as the letter "l". It's actually the letter "I". I cannot tolerate this transgression!!!!
mdilthey

Postby JackJonespaw » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:37 pm

mdilthey wrote:You posted my fighter as the letter "l". It's actually the letter "I". I cannot tolerate this transgression!!!!

Oh no they didn't. This is really bad.
JackJonespaw

Next

Return to Contests & Community Builds