Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Gets Full DC Comics License

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

Postby Staff » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:39 pm

Variety reported a few hours ago that LEGO now has the full DC Comics license. In short, expect to see LEGO sets based on their most popular characters including Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and villains the Joker, Bane, Harley Quinn and Lex Luthor.

LEGO will unveil the initial wave of sets at Comic Con which kicks off tomorrow night. 3,000 minifigs of Batman and Green Lantern will be given away "distributed". FBTB will be there all week, so stay tuned for our full coverage.

Full article snippet below, link to actual article below that:

Warner Bros. has expanded its relationship with Lego, granting the toymaker access to DC Entertainment's complete library of comicbook characters and stories to launch DC Universe "Super Heroes" as figures and playsets.

The multi-year licensing deal, made through Warner Bros. Consumer Products, will start rolling out the new line in January, starting with 13 characters, including Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and villains the Joker, Bane, Harley Quinn and Lex Luthor.

The first toys will be shown off at the Lego booth at Comic-Con Intl. in San Diego, where 3,000 exclusive Batman and Green Lantern minifigures will be distributed to launch a promo that runs August-December, enabling fans to create and submit videos, photos or illustrations of the characters to win trips to Legoland and Warner Bros. Studios.

WB and Lego had already been producing toys and videogames around the Batman franchise, and will launch a new set of playthings around next summer's "The Dark Knight Rises" through the Lego Batman collection. The "Lego Batman: The Videogame," published by WB Bros. Interactive Entertainment, has sold more than 12 million units since 2008."This partnership gives builders a chance to recreate the characters, vehicles and worlds of some of the most iconic super heroes, so they can relive the action and even customize it, a proven and winning formula in Lego construction," said Jill Wilfert, VP, licensing and entertainment for the Lego Group.

WB builds on Lego partnership
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2011/07/19/lego-gets-full-dc-comics-license/
Staff

Re: LEGO Gets Full DC Comics License

Postby itchybreath » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:48 pm

this news makes me so excitement. >_<
itchybreath

Postby twentythree » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:36 pm

Hopefully this will drive down the prices for the previous Batman sets that are going for 8-10 times their retail value on the secondary market. I'd love to have most of them but won't pay $200+ each.
Last edited by twentythree on Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
"What I told you was true...from a certain point of view" - Obi Wan Kenobi
"A lion, a witch, and a wardrobe walk into a bar...stop me if you've heard this one" - me
twentythree

Postby onions » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:52 pm

i just want another chance at a tumbler set. are you listenting lego? 11 years of loyalty should count for something! /cry
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Marty » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:05 am

Speaking as a former owner of most of the Batman sets (I still own the tumbler XD .) I'm jumping for joy here!!
I hope Lego this time will remake some of the older sets, as well as the new Joker, there is so much that can be done with this series, I could fill this page.
I still have all the figures from the sets, but Arkum, Batcave & the car where personal fav's.
Lego may yet redeem it's self for the Black pearl!!!

Marty
Marty

Postby brownie69yov4 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:08 am

so I guess this kills any chance of the Marvel license.... I can't say I am excited for this one, but I am happy for the DC fans out there.... I just would have assumed with Disney owning Marvel now, and Lego having such a strong tie to Disney now it would have been a no brainer, especially since Lego is willing to tackle the entire comic book universe, and not just movie material
brownie69yov4

Postby Qzak » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:14 am

Woo Hoo!! I can see it now.....trans-green construction for GL, Wonder Woman's invisible (trans-clear) jet, Superman's Fortress of Solitude, etc........can't wait!
Qzak

Postby Qzak » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:15 am

brownie69yov4 wrote:so I guess this kills any chance of the Marvel license....

Hopefully not
Qzak

Postby SuperDave » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:41 am

I think this is going to be big.
SuperDave

Postby unmovedmover » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:23 am

brownie69yov4 wrote:so I guess this kills any chance of the Marvel license.... I can't say I am excited for this one, but I am happy for the DC fans out there.... I just would have assumed with Disney owning Marvel now, and Lego having such a strong tie to Disney now it would have been a no brainer, especially since Lego is willing to tackle the entire comic book universe, and not just movie material

I think it makes it more likely, actually. Like you said, Lego has a good relationship with Disney, like they have a good relationship with WB. Many licensees deal with both (CCGs, Clix, etc) and if you look at the Lego branding, the DC aspect is relatively unpronounced. It's "Lego Superheroes - (sub-brand) DC Universe"

I bet a Marvel announcement will be forthcoming at the end of the year for the big Avengers marketing push next spring.
unmovedmover

Postby sparkart » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:45 am

Is the new optional theme for FBTB going to be From Batman to Bizarro?

I think it's in Marvel, DC, Disney, & Warner's interest to get kids into comic-book characters any way they can. These characters are our modern mythology. When the Martians come to an ancient Earth in ruin, they're going to see all the toy merchandise (because plastics, along with diamonds, are, apparently, "forever"), and think, "Whoa...Earthians were geeks."

But seriously, just the Green Lantern collection is going to be huge with minifig fans. There's plenty of modified minifig heads to stick on a Green Lantern body, and you've got a new Lantern to join your GL army.

Sideshow Toy's offers both Marvel and DC products, why can't Lego? I think it's in DC's and Marvel's interest to maintain, for appearances at least, a competitive rivalry, because that's conflict, and conflict is drama, and drama is sessy, and sess sells.
sparkart

Postby mikado » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:53 am

this will make me happy the first off brand lego style batman stuff were ok but they never seemed to stay together well and the prices on the old lego sets is stupid high but i second the vote we need a tumbler again
mikado

Postby Big C » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:56 am

YEESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, had to get that out of my system.
Big C

Postby Morgan19 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:57 am

It's a no-brainer that the figures are the big draw here. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Super Heroes wave of the Collectible Figures coming out of this...

m19
Morgan19

Postby Mofo Jones » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:02 am

This is good news! I can see a Marvel sub theme as well. I'd think the POP baddie's wrist claws could be used for a Wolverine fig.

And LEGO, I really hope you're listening this time: 60'S BATMOBILE, PLEASE!!!!
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby Joedward » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:19 am

I thought MegaBlocks had the Marvel license... am I wrong there?

Anyhow, this is some of the coolest news I've read all day. Can't wait to see what we get from the new line. And seconded or thirded at the point about this hopefully lowering the price of some of the older stuff. I'm still ticked off I never bought any of the Batman sets in the last wave. I shan't make that mistake again, and if another UCS shows up (I'm hoping for a Tumbler in this size) I'll be on that like a pig on the proverbial.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Mister Ed » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:56 am

Well, this may be the final nail in the coffin of my Star Wars LEGO buying, if handled well. I'm a big DC Comics fan, and lately LEGO Star Wars has been very, very blah as far as I'm concerned.

I'm really hoping for a Hall of Justice set with various Justice League members, and a Green Lantern set that would be Creator-esque, with a minifig, and LOT of Trans. Green pieces, and instructions for three or four different ring-constructs to make from them.

EDIT: Oh, and I can't WAIT for the inevitable LEGO Justice League Video Game. :D
Mister Ed

Postby cas » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:03 am

It goes without saying, there's tons of potential here. I hope Lego doesn't decide to churn out boring licensed sets like they have been recently. I missed out on the Batman sets the first time around, with one exception, so I'll be paying close attention this time. Maybe it's time to unload the sealed Tumbler that's been collecting dust in my closet.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby badgerboy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:24 am

This is good news.

Agree on the tumbler. Nice to have a chance to get a Harley Quinn too.

I'm really hoping the expanded universe of DC characters is going to include Superman - every reason to suspect they will want to cash in on the new Superman movie.
new flickr folder
old brickshelf
badgerboy

Postby cas » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:32 am

cas
Staff Writer

Next

Return to Licensed Themes