Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Star Wars III Demo Out Today

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

LEGO Star Wars III Demo Out Today

Postby Staff » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:18 pm

If you're chomping at the bit to get some LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars gaming action, you'll be happy to know that Joystiq is reporting that you can download a demo of the game for Xbox and Playstation3 today.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2011/02/22/lego-star-wars-iii-demo-out-today/
Staff

Re: LEGO Star Wars III Demo Out Today

Postby Joedward » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:14 pm

Just downloaded this, and man, is it goooooooood lookin'. The graphics, the set/model design, cut scenes, characters (even their faces, because they're not all horrid an ugly in game), animation. Gorgeous stuff.
I'm liking the force build, it's a cool effect. Force moving stuff is now controlled by the player, and I don't like that. It's kinda clumsy. I've never seen such shiny coins in a LEGO game, they're pretty. You can force throw your lightsaber, that's not clumsy, and it's extremely cool. The camera seems a bit off to me, but I don't know whether it's always been like that and I'm not used to it because of how long it's been since I played one of these, or if there's an option to change it that isn't in the demo. And lastly, when you've got two quest type bits going on in one mission you can switch in and out, from one to the other, and the one you're not in is displayed in the corner... I really like this feature.

Anyhow, it's a gorram fun game, and although I wont buy it on launch day, as I despise paying so much for games, I doubt I'll have to wait too long before I play it. And by that I mean in 2 or 3 months it'll be better than half price on Amazon, so woo hoo.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Mister Ed » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:12 am

Why no PC demo? I mean, getting a sneak peek is cool, but one of the main reasons I download demos is to see if they will actually RUN on my system before buying the game. It seems like I wouldn't be alone in that, so why no demo for the one version where that is an actual concern?
Mister Ed

Postby mcs4616 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:47 am

Are there PC demos with the other Lego games? I never looked, I've always got these games for my Xbox 360. It's also possible that they are planning on making the demo available later for some reason. I tried to download the demo for my 360, but I wasn't able to because I don't have Xbox Live Gold . . .
mcs4616

Postby Mister Ed » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:03 pm

I know the last two Star Wars LEGO games had PC demos, as I downloaded them. I also know that the first Indiana Jones one did as well. I think Batman did, too. I don't know about Indiana Jones 2 or Harry Potter, as I had recently upgraded at the time, and was pretty certain they would run on my machine.
Mister Ed

Postby Mister Ed » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:06 pm

Truth be told, I'm a little perplexed as to why the PC versions keep having higher and higher system requirements. I mean, they are all ports of the same game designed for the same generation of consoles. If LEGO Star Wars 2 was designed to run on the 360, and LEGO Star Wars 3 is ALSO designed to run on the 360, why the heck is there any significant disparity in their PC system requirements?
Mister Ed

Postby Bellicose » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:08 pm

It wouldn't be the first time that the PC version has additions to it that the consoles don't.
Bellicose

Postby Mister Ed » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:13 pm

Really? On the LEGO games? I hadn't heard of that. What did the PC versions have that consoles didn't in past LEGO games?

Of course, even then it shouldn't lead to higher system reqs unless the additional content is much more graphically complex...
Mister Ed

Postby mrfootball » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:31 pm

How do you download it to the Xbox?
mrfootball

Postby Mofo Jones » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:57 am

There was a PC demo for Harry Potter. My PC is just below the system specs for the demo so I downloaded it anyway. Once it was installed and running, everything worked except that I couldn't see my character. I could move, shoot, etc. but no dice on the visuals. It was like a permanent invisibility cloak...from the outside!
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby theone » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:52 am

mrfootball wrote:How do you download it to the Xbox?

if u have a xbox live acount silver or gold u can go: games market place (click it) on the starting screen, then game demos then download and should be free
theone

Postby mrfootball » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:50 am

Fyi - They'll only let you download this if you have Xbox Gold.
mrfootball

Postby theone » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:41 am

oh it doesn't normally do that
theone

Postby zwolya » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:36 pm

I second the liking of the bulk of the demo...haven't tried the second level, but Destroy Malevolence is tight, everything looks good and exactly what I've come to expect from a Lego game EXCEPT
-the Force moving, it IS clumsy and what I hated the most about the Harry Potter game (outside of, you know, the game-ending Dragon Room bug), and I hoped they would go back to the original Force-targeting
-the Crane function, for basically the same reason...it's nearly impossible to figure out what the Crane is supposed to do...until you figure out what it's supposed to do...
-the saber-throw seems more clumsy than the Batarangs in Batman, I dunno why but it just does to me. It's a cool feature, but I think I'd still rather grab the droids and throw them with the Force than throw my saber and stand defenceless until it comes back.

Oh well, the game is still way too exciting to be bummed out about such trivial things. I really enjoyed Force-throwing barrels at GG and his Droideikas :lol:
zwolya

Postby batsamd » Mon May 23, 2011 7:13 am

Finished the full version of the game a few weeks back and wanted to say a few things about it.

First, I've tried not to be a minifig Clone Wars face basher, although I didn't like them when first introduced, but after seeing how much better they would've looked with more "normal" faces in the game, I'm really, really disappointed in how the Clone Wars faces look.

Guess it was more important for the games to have similar looks than the game and toys.

Little surprised that the Malevalence and Venators in the game were not based on the LEGO models.

Had to use a cheat code to unlock the Betty-Bot because I could not find her on either vessel to purchase her, that's how I got 100%.

On the battle stages, I never bothered to build armies, especially once I unlocked the Super Speeders. Maybe I'll go back and play those without the cheat codes.

Overall, thought it was a good addition to the LEGO Star Wars video games.
batsamd

Postby J30spiff » Tue May 24, 2011 7:48 am

@ batsamd - just curious, what platform did you play on?
J30spiff

Postby batsamd » Tue May 24, 2011 12:30 pm

Sorry, forgot to mention I played the PS3 version.

Don't think there's any real difference between the XBox 360 and PS3 versions, at least, because I used an XBox 360 walkthrough in order to find all the minikits.

I have a Wii, but don't play, it's mostly for my nephews and nieces to play, so if anybody knows if there are a lot of differences between the PS3 and Wii versions, please let me know.
batsamd

Postby Daz Hoo » Tue May 24, 2011 1:16 pm

I'm kindda locked in my progression of the game and need a little walkthrough here.

How do you get on the other ship? I've done all the missions on the Republic side, but can seem to fin the way to go on the separatist side.

Help?
Daz Hoo

Postby Robzula » Tue May 24, 2011 3:02 pm

Daz Hoo wrote:How do you get on the other ship? I've done all the missions on the Republic side, but can seem to fin the way to go on the separatist side.

Go to the hangar with your spaceships on the Resolute, fly over to the Invisible Hand, dock there.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby Daz Hoo » Tue May 24, 2011 9:58 pm

Thanks! I'll try that!
Daz Hoo

Return to Star Wars