Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

POTC Chrome Gold Replacement Parts

Talk about your favorite developments in licensed themes from popular lines like Indiana Jones, Batman, Spongebob, Harry Potter, etc.

POTC Chrome Gold Replacement Parts

Postby Staff » Fri May 20, 2011 3:12 am

Disappointed by the lack of chrome gold elements in the Pirates of the Caribbean sets even though it's right there on the box? Yeah, me too. But apparently LEGO is doing something about it. According to a fellow LUG member, if you contact customer service and express your disappointment by their bait and switch tactic, they will send you the proper replacement parts. And in the age of the internet, the golden rule is "pics or it didn't happen". So here you go:

New Gold Elements

Here's hoping that further productions of the sets will have the updated elements.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2011/05/20/potc-chrome-gold-replacement-parts/
Staff

Re: POTC Chrome Gold Replacement Parts

Postby Custom333 » Fri May 20, 2011 7:13 am

That was an odd move for Lego. The bait-and-switch I mean, not the awesome replacement.

EDIT: I just noticed that they also included coins too, although they were alway chrome. :facepalm:
Last edited by Custom333 on Fri May 20, 2011 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Custom333

Postby cas » Fri May 20, 2011 9:58 am

I was confused when I saw these gold non-chromed parts. I thought it was a mistake or something. This is very good to know.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby roguefx » Fri May 20, 2011 5:34 pm

I just opened my London Escape and I got pearl gold coins too, not on the sprue.
roguefx
Staff Writer

Postby Blackicep8ntball » Sat May 21, 2011 9:06 am

@ Custom333: the coins he has were chrome, but notice the numbering is different (1-5 vs. 10, 20, 30, and 40, and different font)
Blackicep8ntball

Postby roguefx » Sun May 22, 2011 12:37 pm

I got one bar and six coins, they all say 10 on one side and LEGO on the other

Disappointing booty by GeekyTom, on Flickr
roguefx
Staff Writer

Postby darth_fett » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:57 am

I also got the pearl gold coins and bars in my set, total 9 coins and 3 bars. I contacted lego customer service and told them of my issue, and today I got 2 sets of chromed coins on sprues. But no bars. At all. Maybe they're out of chromed bars?
darth_fett

Postby dWhisper » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:25 pm

To be fair, this is not bait-and-switch, as a definition. Something very misunderstood, but it is not. It's bad PR, but nothing more, and certainly nothing illicit.

I contacted LEGO, and got replacement parts for all my sets within a week or so. A couple of major differences between these and the pearl, or even the old chrome gold coins. The replacement coins are numbered 1, 2, 5, 10 (pearl coins are all 10), and a hair thinner than the old ones. They're more liked chromed versions of the pearl ones, but missing the little holes.

The biggest difference? You get less of them. The pearled ones have 6 coins + 1 ingot. The chrome 4 coins + 1 ingot. So, expect to get less if they ever do a switch-over.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby darth_fett » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:40 pm

To be fair, this is not bait-and-switch, as a definition. Something very misunderstood, but it is not.

If this isn't a bait and switch, I don't know what is.
If I bought a clone army builder pack that showed 3 yellow pilot troopers on the package, and opened it up to find 3 normal, white clone troopers inside, I'd be pretty P. O.'ed. I'd consider that a bait and switch. and this is no different. Even though it's just a color change, what's on the package shouldn't be just a suggestion of what you'd get inside, maybe. Maybe I'm just sore because even though TLG sent me replacements, they were the WRONG replacements. I just got old chrome gold coins and NO bars whatsoever. I really like the new coins too, because 2 coins fit perfectly in a Minifig's hands. The old gold chrome was too small for 1 coin and too big to fit 2 coins.
darth_fett

Postby Robzula » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:30 pm

darth_fett wrote:If this isn't a bait and switch, I don't know what is.
If I bought a clone army builder pack that showed 3 yellow pilot troopers on the package, and opened it up to find 3 normal, white clone troopers inside, I'd be pretty P. O.'ed. I'd consider that a bait and switch. and this is no different.

It would be bait and switch if they were deliberately showing the chrome to get you to buy it. The fact that they're trying to fix it says to me that this is just a mistake they made somewhere along the production line. That they're having a hard time with fixing it says nothing more than they didn't see this coming or else they'd have fixed it before the set hit the shelves.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby onions » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:58 pm

there's an existing thread on this topic in the ambassador forum. no reply since the 7th in which a lego rep responded with "we're looking into it". I'll update this thread once i get any word on any developments.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby onions » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:08 am

Got some info back about the gold bar situation. When calling customer service you might get "the gold coins, element 70501 instead you need prepack 4631481. This prepack has both the coins and the gold bar in it."

Shop@Home customer service now has the correct parts in stock and the sets coming out of the factory have the corrrected parts in the box.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby GIR3691 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:43 am

So are they supposed to be chromed in all sets? I got the London Chase set with pearl gold parts.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby Mandalorian Candidat » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:05 pm

GIR3691 wrote:So are they supposed to be chromed in all sets? I got the London Chase set with pearl gold parts.

I just bought mine this past weekend and had the same thing. I called Lego customer service this morning and the rep. knew exactly what I was talking about and said it would arrive in about 10 business days. In the Isla de Muerta set, it had the gold plated elements instead of the pearl versions.
Mandalorian Candidat

Return to Licensed Themes