Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Announcing The Hybridfighter Contest

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: Announcing The Hybridfighter Contest

Postby darth_fett » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:08 pm

I'm absolutely loving madLEGOman's cockpit design, and cas's mashup is interesting as well. Cas, is that George Lucas at the pilot seat? And ted@ndes, I'm really hearting your new construct of the naboo fighter. Completely new build, but still instantly recognizable. I am humbled by all the great models being put out for this contest.
darth_fett

Postby pjpviv » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:24 pm

Hey guys this is my first post, first MOC, and first entry into any contest :D

Here's the pic and there's the story underneath:
More pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/47283116@N07/sets/72157626492819361/with/5673464709/

The pilot of this Ugly was a clone who was deserted on Geonosis after the first battle there. He was captured by the Geonosisans after he became the sole survivor of his clone battalion and taken to one of the most deserted places on the planet and was tortured and subject to slave work through out the rest of the clone wars.

When the empire took over he managed to escape his captivators. Not knowing where he was or how to get off his prisoner homeworld he wandered the never ending desert until he came across half of a Republic Attack Gunship (LAAT) buried in the sand on the outskirts of a mining colony. He quickly made friends with them and joined their labor force in order to get enough credits to buy some parts to repair his ship.

Years went by until one fateful day he came across a very familiar helmeted man in search of a bounty within this colony. It was Boba Fett. When he saw this battered clone and asked him his story. Boba thinking of his father and of his death on Geonosis decided to sell his Firespray Slave I to this clone and purchase a Pursuer-class enforcement ship.

With Boba leaving the planet, the clone had enough parts to construct a ship to leave Geonosis. He began combining the battered ships so he could finally leave, he had a new sense of purpase in his life after his conversation about Jango Fett with his cloned son.

This clone would go on to pilot this "Slave LAAT" and become a bounty hunter like his original copy. He repainted and modified his clone helmet and donned a mandalorian style helmet emulating Jango. And off he went into the galaxy to make a name for himself. Occasionally working along side with Boba and working with the other villainry acorss the galaxy.
Last edited by pjpviv on Sun May 01, 2011 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
pjpviv

Postby Morgan19 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:25 pm

darth_fett wrote:Completely new build

But those wings do look awfully familiar... ;)

m19
Morgan19

Postby ted @ndes » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:01 pm

Morgan19 wrote:
darth_fett wrote:Completely new build

But those wings do look awfully familiar... ;)

m19

That ship was indeed the spark of inspiration. I remembered someone said it reminded them of an N-1 during MOC madness, so I thought to myself "hmmm, maybe I should actually build an N-1". It is definitely a new build, but not exactly new color techniques on the wings (mainly because of my limited color palate out of my dark ages).

A lot of great entries so far. Can't wait to see the flood of entries next week at the deadline nears.
ted @ndes
Alpha Male

Postby darth_fett » Sun May 01, 2011 3:08 am

Can't wait to see the flood of entries next week at the deadline nears.

Ack, I only learned of the actual deadline yesterday when I was putting finishing touches on my entry. If I had known I had another week, I'd have gone with my 2nd choice for a build: the droid gunship from Kashyyk. That's my favorite Sepper fighter of all time! I probably would have used a Clone Wars era Y-wing as my mashup for it too. sigh.
darth_fett

Postby Ninja Nin » Sun May 01, 2011 3:35 am

Are hybridfighters manufactured in a Green way?

Green Scorpion
Green Scorpion by Ninja_Nin, on Flickr

Extreme Environmental Protest Group scavenged wreckages of vehicles to develop the galaxy-friendly starfighters as their army against the Republic.

Recently they made use of the damaged Flash Speeder (7124) from the Battle of Naboo, combined with Koro-2 Exodrive Airspeeder (7133) found in the Coruscant junkyard to create this starfighter known as the Green Scorpion.

Green Scorpion 03 by Ninja_Nin, on Flickr

Featuring the wickedly forked dragster, cockpit and aerodynamic tail fin from the Exodrive Airspeeder. The Flash Speeder ‘s body, wing-mounted engines and laser blaster were upgraded to space battle standard.

More photos from my Flickr Set including the Missile Compartment and the Pilot.
Last edited by Ninja Nin on Sun May 01, 2011 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ninja Nin

Postby cas » Sun May 01, 2011 7:46 am

darth_fett wrote:Cas, is that George Lucas at the pilot seat?

He does rather look like a younger Lucas, now that you've pointed it out. No, the pilot was something I threw together trying to create someone who looked part fighter pilot, part smuggler, but I neglected to take any pictures showcasing him.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby itchybreath » Sun May 01, 2011 12:35 pm

wow, there's so many good entries coming in, and still yet to come in soon... voting will be very difficult.
itchybreath

Postby Moodswim » Sun May 01, 2011 12:36 pm

AT-X-Wing (Luke's Skyhopper) by M<0><0>DSWIM, on Flickr

AT-X-Wing 2 by M<0><0>DSWIM, on Flickr

This is my entry, the AT-X-Wing (Luke's Skyhopper)! The story goes, Luke crashes yet another X-Wing during a battle with a small band of AT-AT's on the planet Arellous V. Luke must use the remnants of his fighter combined with various parts from a fallen walker. In order to escape the extremely heavy gravity of Arellous V, luke must build foldable legs to allow the ship to "hop" into orbit. Simple story but DIFFICULT build. Good luck to all the other entrants :D

You can check out a TON more pics on my Mocpages account:
http://www.mocpages.com/moc.php/266716
Last edited by Solo on Tue May 03, 2011 11:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: fixed your wonky code
Moodswim

Postby Mister Ed » Sun May 01, 2011 5:35 pm

Gungan Star Bongo by Mister Ed 2814, on Flickr

Dorsal View by Mister Ed 2814, on Flickr

Following the Battle of Naboo, the Gungans decided that they really should have SOME space defense capability.
Unfortunately, their current technology was not really up the the challenge. Being a proud people, they didn't want to ask the Naboo for technological help. So instead they simply scavenged parts from a Naboo Starfighter shot down while trying to join the fight in orbit (they weren't too proud to USE the technology, they just didn't want to ASK for it).

There wasn't enough left to make a spaceworthy fighter, so they supplemented it with Gungan tech. Rather than sacrifice a perfectly functional Bongo, they instead scavenged the remains of the Bongo they had loaned to the Jedi, who had thoughtlessly let it fall over a waterfall.

They moved the single functioning engine to the rear and repurposed part of the wingtip engine housings to hold a supply of Boomas, fired from underwing launchers.

The Gungan engineers weren't exactly SURE that the resulting vessel was spaceworthy. The Bongo cockpit, even before being dropped off a cliff, was designed to maintain atmosphere in a HIGH pressure, not a LOW pressure, environment. But they are PRETTY sure it will work...really! When they learned of the risks involved, Boss Nass and Captain Tarpals were quick to volunteer Bombad General Jar-Jar Binks for the test flight. They cited his heroism and obvious skill in making this decision... but it is interesting to note that they also had the engineers install a remote control override for the test...and they completely disabled the Booma Launchers, just in case.

A couple more detail shots (of the cockpit and the Booma Launchers) are available in the Flickr Set.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62371089@N ... 625603912/
Mister Ed

Postby aistetskii » Mon May 02, 2011 11:40 pm

Ugly T47 Hybrid Starfighter by Aleksei Stetskii, on Flickr

Official histories of the Rebel Alliance hold that during the Battle of Hoth, Rogue Leader Luke Skywalker was shot down in his Incom T47 Snowspeeder while engaging an Imperial AT-AT. According to Skywalker’s subsequent testimony, his gunner, Dak Ralter, was killed by a direct hit to their snowspeeder that crippled the craft and brought it down. (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dack_Ralter)

Many years later, however, after the destruction of the second Death Star, doubt was cast upon Skywalker’s version of events when Ralter himself surfaced to claim the pension and worker’s comp that was owed to him. According to Ralter, Skywalker must have panicked after their snowspeeder crashed and failed to notice his cries for help. The situation quickly went from bad to worse as a oncoming AT-AT nearly succeeded in crushing the craft with its massive footpad.

When Ralter finally managed to extricate himself from the wreckage, he realized that the Rebel garrison had abandoned Hoth, leaving him behind. Having a knack for salvage, he converted the wrecked T47 into a space-capable starfighter by replacing its damaged powerplant with two engines, an avionics system, and an R2-series astromech droid cannibalized from a disabled Incom T65 X-Wing nearby. Ralter was particularly satisfied with how easily he was able to mount two of the T65’s laser cannons onto the T47’s gun carriage.

Frostbitten, lonely and otherwise embittered by the experience, Ralter christened his Ugly hybrid “The Skywalker” and set course for Talus to nurse his wounds and injured pride.

For more photos, see http://www.flickr.com/photos/stetskii/s ... 683049696/
aistetskii

Postby Legomancer » Tue May 03, 2011 11:04 am

The Odd Couple. Rave Allor, trapped on Raxus Prime, finds the remains of a battle fought not too long ago, and pieces together a workable craft to get himself off-planet. Can Rave escape the clutches of the Imperial junkyard world?

The &quot;Odd Couple&quot; Alternate Main Pic by Legomancer-Lv.10, on Flickr

The &quot;Odd Couple&quot; Alternate Main Pic by Legomancer-Lv.10, on Flickr
Legomancer

Postby buriedbybricks » Tue May 03, 2011 12:23 pm

Knowing full well that the X-wing would be heavily featured in this contest, I went ahead with my idea anyway. I'll admit it wasn't my first idea, but I had to abandon that one quickly due to a severe lack of sand green. Once this popped into my head I prefered it anyway, design-wise. Click for the story/description and thanks for looking.

I submit "The Death Bringer".

The Death Bringer by buriedbybricks, on Flickr

Ugly enough for ya? by buriedbybricks, on Flickr
buriedbybricks

Postby Solo » Tue May 03, 2011 1:19 pm

buriedbybricks: I'm glad you posed this today because that leaves you time to rework it if you still want to qualify. As it stands your second vehicle isn't recognizable as required by the rules. The X-wing is apparent, but your ATST has been so heavily modified to look like a skull instead that it no longer resembles the source, missing the intent of this contest.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Moodswim » Tue May 03, 2011 5:30 pm

Thanks, Solo, for fixing my "wonky" code. I'm not sure why when I post stuff on here there's all that extra "url this and url that", but I appreciate the edit nonetheless. Thank you, kind sir :cool:
Moodswim

Postby naugem » Thu May 05, 2011 12:21 am

The Truce

You can see more pics at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/naugem/sets/72157626526645397/

Story

It started during a raid of the imperial troops to a small rebel base in the moon Laavardack. The fighting was fast and furious and Rodian rebel pilot Leenda, flying her Y-Wing, got engaged in a dogfight with ace TIE Fighter pilot Arax Torque. Their fight got them away from the main battlefield, through the canyons and exotic rock formations of the moon. During the intense dogfight, the ships got too close to each other and a wing from the TIE fighter made a glancing contact with the Y-Wing. The impact sent both ships crashing through the forest. Arax got off what remained of his fighter and made his way to the Y-Wing, to finish the rebel pilot off. But when he got there and saw the unconscious Rodian girl he couldn't bring himself to kill her.

By that time the rebels had fled the moon, with the imperial troops in hot pursuit. Hours later, when Leenda woke up, Arax offered a truce. They would help each other until they could leave Laavardack, which was about to enter its winter phase, and there was no surviving that.

Arax and Leenda set to build a ship that could take them both out of the moon and to the nearest port, out of the remains of both their ships. Oddly, the TIE cockpit was in better shape that the Y-Wing, so they took that as a base and set to increase its passenger and supplies capacity. They took the engines, the hyperdrive and the shield generator from the Y-Wing, and refitted what could be salvaged of the wings of the TIE fighter. They also took parts from some other fallen ships from the battlefield, but those were too damaged to be much good.

During this time, the pirates that betrayed the rebel base location came to the moon, carrion seekers looking for anything valuable after a battle. The design of the ship had to be altered to include more weaponry, to be able to sustain more damage in a frontal assault for breaking the pirate's blockade, and to be able to escape in a desperate situation. The shield from the Y-Wing was concentrated on the TIE wings, now used as a frontal shield; and considerations were taken so the ship could loose its wings and/or its main engines, and still be able to fly.

Arax and Leenda named the ship the Truce.

During the months it took to build the Truce, mutual respect surged between Arax and Leenda at first, followed by friendship and then by love (yes, love). When they finally escaped from Laavardack, they decided to stay away from the war and became guards for freighters and transports, the Truce having turned out better than they could have imagined.
naugem

Postby onions » Thu May 05, 2011 1:13 am

just for the record, a story is not necessary.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Sydag » Thu May 05, 2011 7:55 am

Odd Manka Cat

Here's my entry, a mash-up between a firespray-31-class [non-modified SLave I^^] and a standard Tie fighter, hope it's as obvious as it's seems for me !^^
this build was quite a rush for me, as I am a very slow builder, but very fun in the end. This contest was a great opportunity to build something new, and well...odd !
As for the features, the tie's wing folding mechanism works with both pneumtic cylinder and gears, coupled with the rototaing cockpit.
The pump in hide in the "tail" of the ship.

Odd Manka Cat 1 by Sydag, on Flickr

Odd Manka Cat 2 by Sydag, on Flickr

The Flickr Gallery

The solar wing his here give more power to the engines and help stabilizing the ship in atmopherical flight conditons.
R2-unit is to help the pilot for such things as hyperspace coordinates and mellow the ship's handling.

Background Story
The ship's name comes from the manka cat which is an indigenous species to Alderaan. I decide my pilot was an alderaanian who left the imperial navy after the destruction of his homeworld. As this time, tie fighter's pieces and wrecks were easy to found all around the galaxy, but what were the odds to found a firespray-31-class wreck ? Tahr Noojar [our hero !!] found one, and build himself the Odd Manka Cat.
Then he decide to rejoin the rebellion, where is was trained as an intellegence agent. With a new identity and his peculiar ship, it's easy to approach the empire as a bounty hunter...

n.b. : please forgive my poor english.
Sydag
Mashup Man

Postby Chief » Thu May 05, 2011 8:03 am

Holy poodoo
Chief

Postby hatcher » Thu May 05, 2011 9:44 am

Well, the rest of us can give up any hope of winning. Holy cow that Slave 1/Tie is the bomb! That thing rocks! Great job Sydag!
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who can understand binary, and those that can't.
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you, you are locked up in here with me!" - Rorshach, Watchmen.
hatcher

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds