Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Announcing The 2011 Podracer Challenge Building Contest

Participate in community group projects and enter building contests. Check in here for details on current and past projects and contests.

Re: Announcing The 2011 Podracer Challenge Building Contest

Postby Legoorci » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:58 am

I don't want to be a pain, but I'd like to know wether I can make a podracer without having a fig of the theme, but the fig I want to show is also looking like the original fig (eg. if I don't own indiana jones, but make a minifig (just with normal lego elements, without cutting painting etc.) that is easily noticable as Indiana, can I use this ?).

I just wanted to say that this contest is really cool and that such events were the reason to join for me. Keep this system !

Ps: Is there anything like an introduction thread ?
Legoorci

Postby Stardusty » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:11 am

Thank you for answering on my questions. :)

Pepper wrote:
dWhisper wrote:I guess I don't understand what you mean by illegal connections?

Sorry about not making myself clear. You answered the question I was asking anyway. :D

Is there a size limit?(big or small)

It only needs to be in minifig scale... :facepalm:

Progress on building: Yesterday I have build whole engine (5 hours of bulding).
Of course, I realized how stupid idea was and I am going to rebuild it.
I'll post pictures of that engine after finishing my MOC and entering the contest. :)

Here are some good entrys, this contest is going to be biiiig.
Stardusty

Postby Yatkuu » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:31 am

Just out of curiosity, what did Lego do with Coke? I'm assuming we are talking about Coca Cola but I just cannot seems to find anything on the net.
And just to be sure, if I wanted to do a Coke themed pod racer, is it enough to build one that is in the right and recognizable color coding (Red/White) I suppose I don't need any specialized bricks?
Yatkuu

Postby Pepper » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:46 am

Stardusty wrote:Thank you for answering on my questions. :)

Pepper wrote:
dWhisper wrote:I guess I don't understand what you mean by illegal connections?

Sorry about not making myself clear. You answered the question I was asking anyway. :D

Is there a size limit?(big or small)

It only needs to be in minifig scale... :facepalm:

Stupid me :facepalm:. I was reading in the last podracer contest thread, and there was something that someone said about that it would better if it was more than 4 studs wide. So I was wondering if that was true about this contest as well.
Pepper

Postby onions » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:45 pm

Yatkuu wrote:Just out of curiosity, what did Lego do with Coke? I'm assuming we are talking about Coca Cola but I just cannot seems to find anything on the net.
And just to be sure, if I wanted to do a Coke themed pod racer, is it enough to build one that is in the right and recognizable color coding (Red/White) I suppose I don't need any specialized bricks?

they did a coke promotion that coincided with the soccer sets a few years back, a series of small polybags.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Mister Ed » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:56 pm

onions wrote:
Mister Ed wrote:
onions wrote:- Pilot must be seated in the cockpit pod and visible in at least one of the two photos submitted.

Unless the Podracer is its own pilot, right? I.E. My Toy Story RC-pod idea?

RC would have to be the pilot. i know what you're trying to do, you're trying to make RC into the podracer. it's not going to fly. it needs a pilot.

Thanks for the clarification, as this earlier response to my idea of making an RC podracer:

onions wrote:RC was able to move about on his own. he would be the pilot.

sure SEEMED to be approval of the idea of an RC pod with no independent pilot, especially as it was in response to my plan to have a separate pilot with a remote control unit.

Eh, it will probably be a moot point, anyway. I don't think I have enough lime green bricks to make something with the effect I was going for. Unfortunately most of my bricks are either from Creator sets or Star Wars, so I'm having a bit of difficulty scaring up sufficient bricks to make a pod that convincingly fits in another licensed theme.
Mister Ed

Postby dWhisper » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:49 am

Legoorci wrote:I don't want to be a pain, but I'd like to know wether I can make a podracer without having a fig of the theme, but the fig I want to show is also looking like the original fig (eg. if I don't own indiana jones, but make a minifig (just with normal lego elements, without cutting painting etc.) that is easily noticable as Indiana, can I use this ?)

There is no specific restriction that it has to be one of the official minifigs, but you're going to have a tough time selling it as a themed pod racer without having a fig that at least looks like it belongs there. Besides, honestly how expensive are the basic figures from most of the "character" themes? I know Batman can be pricy, but Indy figs are less than a couple of bucks most places. And for the most part, what you need is the hat and a whip. The minifig is part of the build and theme, and needs to look the part. You can't just throw a regular blue-shirt standard minifig in there and call it a pilot.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby 1legodude96 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:21 pm

"No passengers, prisoners, muses, navigational droids, or any other sentient being."
Does that include skeletons as decourationson on an Indiana Jones podracer
"One Ring to Rule Them All, One Ring to Find Them, One Ring to Bring Them All, and in the Darkness Bind Them."
1legodude96

Postby Pepper » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:39 pm

How do I edit the background on a picture?
Pepper

Postby Chief » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:48 pm

1legodude96 wrote:"No passengers, prisoners, muses, navigational droids, or any other sentient being."
Does that include skeletons as decorations on an Indiana Jones podracer

If the skeletons are decorations, they wouldn't be passengers, would they? ;)
Chief

Postby cas » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:02 pm

My entry, a PoPracer:

Click the pics for more!
cas
Staff Writer

Postby zwolya » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:20 pm

This is a great contest, can't wait to see what other great builds it turns out!

More by clicking :)
zwolya

Postby kyphur » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:55 pm

Regarding this part of the rules:

"No passengers, prisoners, muses, navigational droids, or any other sentient being."

What if the "engines" are sentient beings? Without giving away my idea think of something along the lines of horses, which are technically sentient beings, pulling a wagon. Would that be allowed under the rules as they are not prisoners, muses or navigational aides but actually serve as the engines for the vehicle.
kyphur

Postby meeotch » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:54 pm

kyphur wrote:What if the "engines" are sentient beings? Without giving away my idea think of something along the lines of horses, which are technically sentient beings, pulling a wagon. Would that be allowed under the rules as they are not prisoners, muses or navigational aides but actually serve as the engines for the vehicle.

I bet you're doing what I'm doing, in which case, just do as I do and shut up and build... ;)
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby pombe » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:34 pm

Hello all,

Recently rediscovered LEGOs after a dark age. It's been exciting to find such an enthusiastic community of LEGO fans.

First post and first contest entry. The build was a lot of fun, and I'm excited to see more entries.

When Eugene Krabs heard about the prize money from the second (quasi)annual Bothan Classic, he immediately entered his best (and only fry cook), SpongeBob SquarePants into the race. With the help of his good friend and engineering whiz, Sandy Cheeks, SpongeBob was able to put together a working podracer out of parts he borrowed from his neighbor's, Squidward Tentacle's, house. It's a good thing that the (quasi)annual Bothan Classic doesn't require the driver to have a driver's license, because SpongeBob doesn't have one!

Thanks for viewing!
pombe

Postby Legoorci » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:34 am

dWhisper wrote:
Legoorci wrote:I don't want to be a pain, but I'd like to know wether I can make a podracer without having a fig of the theme, but the fig I want to show is also looking like the original fig (eg. if I don't own indiana jones, but make a minifig (just with normal lego elements, without cutting painting etc.) that is easily noticable as Indiana, can I use this ?)

There is no specific restriction that it has to be one of the official minifigs, but you're going to have a tough time selling it as a themed pod racer without having a fig that at least looks like it belongs there. Besides, honestly how expensive are the basic figures from most of the "character" themes? I know Batman can be pricy, but Indy figs are less than a couple of bucks most places. And for the most part, what you need is the hat and a whip. The minifig is part of the build and theme, and needs to look the part. You can't just throw a regular blue-shirt standard minifig in there and call it a pilot.

Okay, thanks for the information.
I didn't think of Indiana Jones...I thought about another theme where the figs are more pricy and I can't get them fast enough (can't order at BL)...I want to keep this secret ;P
Legoorci

Postby Fatyankee » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:27 pm

Hi guys, This contest has to be one of my favourites so far, I had allot of fun with different designs but settled on this one
Its based on the Spongebob Squarepants license and ive called it the Krabby Poddy

Piloted by Spongebob Squaespants himslef the "High Frying Krabby Poddy" is Juiced up and ready for its debut at the Boonta Eve Classic

The Krabby Poddy is a collaboration of the Evil Planktons Robotic Engineering and The Krusty Krabbs Secret Krabby Patty Recipe , Using two giant Spatulas that control the Heat and Speed of the Twin Krab Pod Grill Station Engines
and powered by Krabby Patty Grease , All of Bikini Bottom will be watching as our Hero Spongebob will be racing for glory and possibly go Jellyfishing between Laps

I hope you guys like it , Here is some more pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/fatyankee/sets/72157626225309332/
Fatyankee

Postby ru4given » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:13 pm

Here's my first post on FBTB! I hope that I did it right. Will someone let me know if I didn't?

The BatPodracer
This podracer combines many of the elements normally seen in Batman sets: Batwings, Batcannon, Batbombs, Bat symbol,windshield and your standard Black and Yellow color sceme.

ru4given

Postby itchybreath » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:43 am

Podracer: Ferrari F1000-DDEM: Raging Demon
Pilot: Mak III

Ferrari F-1000DDEM: Raging Demon by B. Ezra, on Flickr
Ferrari F-1000DDEM: Raging Demon by B. Ezra, on Flickr

My Flickr
My MOCpages
itchybreath

Postby Solo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:50 am

itchybreath, I fixed your code because editing posts is disabled in here. Everyone: be sure you click the •BBCode button before copying the flickr code, html does not work on the forum. Also, click preview before you click submit. If it doesn't show up right fix it before posting. If you're confused on what to do just ask.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

PreviousNext

Return to Contests & Community Builds