Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Epic Hoth Battle Scene

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Epic Hoth Battle Scene

Postby KimT » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:23 pm

Why does some members seem so keen on making this diorama look bad?
Does it really matter that someone did it better or even larger?
I think this is a nice diorama and a great piece of work - I know I'd never have the bricks nor the space to do something like this.
Why not just look at this in a positive manner, instead of looking for flaws and errors?

Meh.
"How can this possibly go wrong?"
- Famous Last Words
KimT

Postby Novastinger » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:45 pm

Spectacular display! The snow texturing, snowspeeder by rails, and attention to detail inside the base are the most notable features in my opinion.

On another note, to echo sstoroe, wouldn't that sunlight exposure be bad news for all those white bricks?
Novastinger

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:22 pm

KimT wrote:Why does some members seem so keen on making this diorama look bad?
Does it really matter that someone did it better or even larger?
I think this is a nice diorama and a great piece of work - I know I'd never have the bricks nor the space to do something like this.
Why not just look at this in a positive manner, instead of looking for flaws and errors?

Meh.

I know. Just responding to the statement comparing it to Brickplumber's. It did get the frontpage, so that shows you how good it it. :)
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby shoggoth666 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:03 pm

Feralcom wrote:Just...amazing.

Plus I showed my wife and she no longer thinks I have a bad Lego addiction.

:lol: I need to show my wife...
shoggoth666

Postby shoggoth666 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:08 pm

Very impressive display, really enjoyed the video. Man I would love to have the time and resources to do something of that caliber, I barely have time to biuld all the store bought sets I want much less a diorama of that magnitude.
shoggoth666

Postby shoggoth666 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:09 pm

ItsTwentyBelow wrote:While I like this whole setup with the motorized speeders and the textured snowfield, the whole thing is killed once you see those sickly motorized AT-ATs attempting to lurch across the table. Seriously, what a horrendous set that is If he's going to use official sets, I would have invested in a couple 4483 AT-ATs rather than four of the atrocious motorized ones. It actually looks like a sick camel crawling at you. Other than the four legs it looks nothing like an AT-AT should. But still nice work on the diorama!

I thought the use of the motorized at-at's was cool...no pun intended.
shoggoth666

Postby J30spiff » Sun Feb 27, 2011 8:31 pm

This diorama is pretty awesome. I know there's been some criticism regarding the use of official models but the sheer size of this diorama is enormous and mindblowing to me. To date is the biggest thing I've seen made out of LEGO. I'm not ruling out that there are bigger out there but my kids and I are impressed.
J30spiff

Postby onions » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:25 pm

Like KimT said, let's keep it positive. Yes, other displays have been built before and others will come after, but there's no need to say that someone else's was better or first. RIGHT JUDE?
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby theJudeAbides » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:51 pm

RIGHT ONIONS!!! :p

I thought this was a board where honest opinions were valued, not one where everyones' shoehorned into the same tiresome, "OMG, that's so awesome, I want to be just like him when I grow up" comments. Perhaps I went a little overboard, but when I see people mindlessly praising it without due respect for the many great MOCs that came before, things sometimes go white for a little while...

I don't know, maybe it was just the intro to the video which hyped it up as "TEH GRATEST THNG EVAH," but I'm sorry, I just don't see it. It may be the largest display ever created, but as someone whose name I can't recall once said, "Size matters not." Oh yeah, that's right, it was Yoda. I much prefer quality over quantity, and to me, this just didn't live up to the hype.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby copper1982 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:49 pm

very impressive, and the size, I think the interior of the base is too spread out tho and could use less wide open space, possibly more ships, y wings, a wings, b wings etc... and maintence crews, and the control base needs some walls around it, the whole interior seems too spread out. i enjoyed it tho, great use of tracks. i hope he has a huge sheet to cover those white bricks from the sun...
copper1982

Postby Robzula » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:31 pm

I'm with Jude here. Besides, the challenge was made by the news post when it said "it definitely rivals the efforts of Brickplumber and his Echo Base display."
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby MrCRskater » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:44 pm

Firstly, I'll just throw my 2 cents into the cool/cooler/coolest debate and say that, if nothing else, the scope of this MOC is impressive and makes it worth highlighting. To me, this is definitely front-page news because it has the square footage of a child's bedroom.

That said, it's not my favorite Hoth MOC, either. While the brickiness of the snow works well within the base, I don't care for it as a technique for the vast snow field. But the moving parts are just too cool, especially the T-47's and speeder bike! True, the base does seem a little lifeless with all that's going on on the battlefield, but I'm not sure what you'd be able to animate in there.

Several folks have commented on the white bricks yellowing in the sun. Hasn't LEGO addressed this issue in recent years? I'm starting to fear for my Space Shuttle Adventure, which has been displayed in my living room for several months now. . .
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Previous

Return to Star Wars