Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGOLAND Discovery Center Chicago

A Member of LEGO Company's staff drops in here from time to time to answer questions from LEGO fans like you.

LEGOLAND Discovery Center Chicago

Postby RfAurora » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:22 pm

Hello all, first time posting in this particular forum area, but I figured Id bring it up since this happened to me today. I was in Arlington heights for a follow up exam and on the way home, I thought Id stop at the LEGOLAND Discovery Center inside the Woodfield Shopping center. It's an interesting 2 story affair with a brick built giraffe straddling the entrance, and a mini amusement park inside. I will say I liked the selection and the help the employees their gave, but when I pulled out my vip card, I was told that they didn't take them as they weren't owned by TLG, but that they would give the 10% discount. It was kind of weird to hear that as they seem to be an officially liscensed store, and disappointed in that I didnt get my vip points. The other thing was that I looked closely, and while they had a scale set up to weigh parts, I was not able to locate a pick a brick wall. All in all, interesting store, but not worth it to me to shop there if they wont honor the full purpose of the vip card.
RfAurora

Re: LEGOLAND Discovery Center Chicago

Postby Chief » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:43 pm

Lego owns the brand retail stores. Merlin Entertainments operates the Legoland parks (and Discovery Centers) and the shops within those properties and do not follow the same structure/practices as the retail stores, since they are not a part of TLG. The fact that they gave you the discount anyway is a generous gesture that sounds like an extremely professional attempt at alleviating your frustration over the confusion.
Chief

Postby MrCRskater » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:05 am

Bummer to hear that they don't honor the VIP program, this is the closest LEGO store to me! Thanks for the heads-up, though.

The one time I was there, it was solely for the PAB wall. As you walk in, the PAB wall is to your left, right next to the entrance and sort of tucked in the corner. Basically as far left as you can turn without walking right back out of the store.
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby mcs4616 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:17 am

10% discount? The VIP card only gives you 5%, it's $5 back for every $100 spent. If they do that every time I'd take the cash over the points. Sounds like you got a great deal.

^ MrCRskater, do you know about the Lego Store in the Woodfield Mall? Might be a tiny bit closer depending on which direction you live in . . .
mcs4616

Postby MrCRskater » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:46 pm

Thanks for the tip, mcs4616! I didn't know that store was there, but it is just a bit closer than the LEGOLAND discovery center. Good news!
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby mcs4616 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:59 pm

I went to the Discovery Center the other day and as people were checking out the cashiers were asking for Annual Passes or VIP cards. I had my VIP card, and they game me a 5% discount. Considering how close they are to a Lego Store, this makes a lot of sense. I understand that they're separate from TLG, but I would assume that most of the people going there don't. Makes me a lot more likely to go there and see what they have, knowing that I'm getting the same deal . . . as long as a Double Points promotion isn't going on . . .
mcs4616

Return to Ask LEGO