Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Toy Fair Coverage Wrapped Up

Want to talk about how the LEGO company is doing, your recent visit to LEGOland, your local LEGO club, other resources in the online LEGO community, or about LEGO software and games? Come in here and join us!

LEGO Toy Fair Coverage Wrapped Up

Postby Staff » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:14 pm

LEGO Toy Fair 2011 - Lightning McQueen Statue Unveiling - 36

We finally finished uploading the rest of the sets from our Toy Fair coverage what seems like a mere few hours ago. Many thanks go to Ryan and Anonymous Tipster for staying up late to clean up a few of the miscategorized videos, duplicate pictures, etc. Despite those minor issues, our coverage is now complete. Each picture below links you to the collection for that theme, and each collection has all the sets for that theme. I'm also including everything that was posted yesterday for easy navigation. And finally, there's a set for LEGO Licensing to give you a sneak peek at the upcoming licensing line including books, bins, and storage media. Enjoy!

Star Wars

LEGO Toy Fair 2011 - Star Wars - 7965 Millennium Falcon - 02

Pirates of the Caribbean

LEGO Toy Fair 2011 - Pirates of the Caribbean - 4195 Queen Anne's Revenge - 02

Harry Potter

LEGO Toy Fair 2011 - Harry Potter - 4866 The Knight Bus - 03

Cars

LEGO Toy Fair 2011 - Cars - 8484 Ultimate Build Lightning Mcqueen - 3

Alien Conquest

LEGO Toy Fair 2011 - Alien Conquest - 7065 Alien Mothership - 2

Ninjago

LEGO Toy Fair 2011 - Ninjago - 2509 Earth Dragon Defense - 2

Atlantis

LEGO Toy Fair 2011 - Atlantis - 7985 City of Atlantis - 02

Creator

LEGO Toy Fair 2011 - Creator - 5770 Lightouse Island - 02

City

LEGO Toy Fair 2011 - City - 3367 Space Shuttle - 2

Hero Factory

LEGO Toy Fair 2011 - Hero Factory - 2283 Witch Doctor - 2

Technic

LEGO Toy Fair 2011 - Technic - 8071 Lift Truck - 2

Duplo

LEGO Toy Fair 2011 - Duplo - 5947 Winnie's House - 03

Licensing

LEGO Toy Fair 2011 - LEGO Licensing - 21

A few notes:

• For LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean, the Black Pearl set was missing from the show floor and there was no picture of it in the catalog. It's not scheduled for release until November, so there might be a reveal at San Diego Comic Con if not through some sort of MTV posting.

• For LEGO Star Wars, the advent calendar was also pulled from the floor with the intent of a big reveal at San Diego Comic Con

• For LEGO Cars, the sets designed around the movie Cars 2 were pulled, just like last year with Toy Story 3 sets. And the wall for Cars 2 Duplo sets was also blank.

• For Harry Potter, there's still some debate whether or not The Forbidden Tree Forest set has a Bellatrix minifigure or not.

The biggest let down? Pricing. It seems that the pricing per piece ratio is getting worse and worse and the trend is spreading beyond Star Wars into other non-licensed themes, namely City.

The biggest surprise? The minifig cases shown at the LEGO Licensing booth. I hope to get some more information and materials about those in the next few weeks.

The one set I personally am looking forward to is 7962 Anakin's and Sebulba's Podracers set. The clear Technic bricks were a huge surprise and the redesigns of the two podracers are just gorgeous, especially Sebulba's. The price for the set is very reasonable by today's standards. All in all, it's the clear winner for the August LEGO Star Wars lineup.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2011/02/15/lego-toy-fair-coverage-wrapped-up/
Staff

Re: Toy Fair 2011: The Story So Far...

Postby Draykov » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:17 pm

Nice work, guys. Keep it comin'.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby J30spiff » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:57 am

I really like all of the LEGO storage items. I wonder how much the cost is as I would really like to get some of those giant bricks.
J30spiff

Postby bluemoose » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:59 pm

Great coverage, as always. Easily the best Toy Fair LEGO coverage anywhere on the inter-tubes :-)
Ian
bluemoose

Postby theJudeAbides » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:30 am

OK, so here's my thoughts one what I've seen so far:

Star Wars
So far, there isn't much here that we didn't already know about, but some interesting details have been revealed. I'm still waiting to see what 10xxx sets they have in store for us (UCS or otherwise), but until then, here are my thoughts on each set:

7956 Ewok Attack - This is a fairly nice set, but doesn't really excite me that much. I guess I find the whole vig part of it superfluous. If this had been $10-15 dollars cheaper and had simply included the bike, the figs, and perhaps a small catipult device, I'd be more excited. As it stands, it's too large and expensive to serve as a Battle Pack, but not large or substantial enough to garner much interest. The figs are nice and may warrant buying a copy, but I don't see many people buying multiples of it.

7957 Sith Nightspeeder - This set surprised me a little. It's not that it's better than I thought it was; it's still as butt-ugly as all the preliminary pics we've seen before. But it seems to have one of the best parts/price ratio of all the new sets, almost reaching the .10 mark. Plus, given you get 3 figs, one of which is the Savage Oppress character which I'm sure required new molds, it's kind of surprising. Now, while people may not be all that excited about the Savage Oppress character, I'm willing to bet they're interested in that new breastplate piece he's wearing and expect to see it show up soon in a lot of MOCs.

7959 Geonosian Starfighter - This set made me sad. It's actually a really nice, accurate model with some great figs included. Unfortunately, it's price to part ratio is ridiculous, and not in a :lol: way. At nearly .20 per part, it just makes me want to scream and rant. I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record, by why, LEGO, why? (Yes, I know the answer is "because they can/greed", I was being rhetorical.)

7961 Darth Maul's Sith Infiltrator - It looks like the third time's the charm with this guy. It definately appears to be the best one yet. However, yada yada $20 overpriced yada yada should be $50 yada yada. You know the drill.

7965 Millennium Falcon - This guy REEEEEALLY has my attention. Barring the the UCS model, this appears to be the best MF LEGO has ever released. And hey, the price isn't terribly unreasonable, although I do find the $140 price point a bit odd in that it's not one that LEGO has traditionally done, but hey, it's better than $150. I'm definately anticipating this set.

7964 Republic Frigate - I've heard a lot of moaning about this set, "Blah blah blah just like the 2007 set blah blah blah" and don't really understand the hate. This set appears to be significantly different from that set, despite being based on a similar ship. I'm not just talking about the color scheme, either. I'm talking about the overal design which includes guns and other military-based greebles as opposed to dishes and sensor arrays, different play features, and a completely different array of included figs. To me, this seems like a really nice, reasonably priced set. And hey, there are plenty of people who may have missed to 2007 set, so this seems like a reasonable alternative to me.

7962 Anakin's and Sebulba's Podracers - I've actually been waiting for a set like this for some time. The last time we had a Podracer set was back in 2000, which is over 10 years ago, so it's high time LEGO re-made those sets. However, I am a little torn on this set. It seems like they spent all their time developing a really nice Sebulba podracer but then slapped together a crappy little one for Anakin at the last minute. To me, Sebulba's podracer is the highlight of this set (along with his fig). Is it any wonder why his podracer is featured prominently on the box cover while Anakin's is carefully hidden behind his?

Alien Conquest
When I saw these sets, I just had to comment on them. I'm really liking these sets much more than the recent Space Police sets. The Alien ships are giving off a strong UFO vibe (one of the last awesome Space themes before LEGO became obsessed with Mars). Oh, and the "good guy" vehicles totally have an awesome retro-classic-space vibe that I'm really digging. Is LEGO finally returning to their former Space glory of yestyear? If these sets are any indication, I'd say yes.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby Chief » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:37 am

Thanks, Ian. :) That means a lot.

Our two jobs going into the Fair were Ace was going to be doing most of the photography while I got video of the play feature demonstrations and hunted for new pieces and fill in the blanks of stuff Ace couldn't get. With a couple tiny exceptions, we accomplished what we set out to do, and I'm glad people are happy with the coverage (especially since it was my first (and hopefully not the last) time.)
Chief

Re: LEGO Toy Fair Coverage Wrapped Up

Postby LL918 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:52 am

Great coverage - Thanks guys.
LL918

Postby Witha_K » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:54 am

[quote=staff]
For Harry Potter, there's still some debate whether or not The Forbidden Tree Forest set has a Bellatrix minifigure or not.

Hey guys, good to see you this weekend.

Not sure if you caught it but the packaging called out the fig as Narcissa Malfoy. The Bellatrix looking fig was, most likely, just a place holder. Though I don't recall any particular scene in any of the books or movies that would it either of them in this situation.
Witha_K

Postby J30spiff » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:03 am

Thanks for the great coverage guys. I'm impressed with the number of pictures your were able to take. They'll help me decide which sets I'll be getting later this year.
J30spiff

Postby cas » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:03 am

Yes, fantastic coverage. You guys put in care and deliberation that just doesn't exist on any other website. Thanks.

A note on Narcissa Malfoy: She fits in this scene/set, Bellatrix does not. Bellatrix was at the castle. Narcissa was at the confrontation between Voldemort and Harry. After the duel Voldemort has Narcissa confirm whether or not Harry has survived.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby MrCRskater » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:18 am

To echo my post in the Star Wars forum (and everyone else here), great coverage, fellas. Of course, you take a lot of pictures, but you bring us good shots of everything we want to know about. Basically, not just quantity, but quality. It feels like we've gotten to know everything about the upcoming models except their weight. Thanks, guys!

theJudeAbides wrote:OK, so here's my thoughts one what I've seen so far:

7956 Ewok Attack - This is a fairly nice set, but doesn't really excite me that much. I guess I find the whole vig part of it superfluous. If this had been $10-15 dollars cheaper and had simply included the bike, the figs, and perhaps a small catipult device, I'd be more excited. As it stands, it's too large and expensive to serve as a Battle Pack. . .

I think that last bit there is the point. With the 7749 Echo Base and 7929 Battle of Naboo sets, and now the upcoming 7956 Ewok Attack, it seems that they're going for a line of souped-up "battlepacks" at the $25 price point. Something where they can offer either more figs, specialty molds (like the taun-taun), and a stronger playset feel. I agree that the vig part looks kinda thrown together, but at the very least, it looks like a good parts pack.
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby Chief » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:30 am

Thanks for the clarification, guys. It's been a long time since I read Deathly Hallows (partially so the final two movies are more fresh) so I wasn't sure at all about what actually goes down in the scene represented by this set. Who is to say which one is more preliminary or final than the others?

The Harry Potter display was definitely one of the more confusing presentations at the booth, considering the differences between the actual set on the shelf, the box art shown, and the image in the press catalog.
Chief

Postby Octopunk » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:33 am

Your coverage is amazingly thorough! Excellent, excellent work.

Thanks so much, I'll be coming back often.
Octopunk

Postby jzyg » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:09 am

Great job. I am surprised no one mentioned yet. It looks like these two pictures are different:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fbtbnet/5444148407/in/set-72157626046104934/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fbtbnet/5444750340/in/set-72157626046104934/

Were they from a box or a different case or with a different camera? It looks like it may have been in a case. And most importantly, do we get that beautiful golden locks of hair for Luke in the MF set? I have not seen that piece before. Is it new? It kinda looks bubbly almost sand paper rough, like it was under water, so I just wonder if it was not the final production version. But I am getting older, so who knows if my eyes are playing tricks on me?
jzyg

Postby cas » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:12 am

The hair in the images is a prototype. The final hair, which is brand new and will appear in the set, will lose the graininess.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby Big C » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:26 am

Great work on the coverage, lads!

Loving the new storage and displays being offered. Those are going to be so fun to get.

Also, my face is melting from the sheer awesomeness of the Alien Conquest Earth Defense HQ set. Holy frickin' moley. I don't remember the last time I saw a set that looked so badass from every angle.
Big C

Postby Chief » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:30 am

The pictures with grainy hair Luke were from display cases that formed the exterior wall of the enclosed Lego booth. Only press and retailers were allowed inside the booth, so presumably the stuff on the outside of the booth was stuff they were okay showing the average Fair attendee (not sure who that would be, though, since Toy Fair attendees are industry types anyways...)

For some reason the proto hair Luke was on the outer display cases, while the inner booth had the Luke with blast shield face and training helmet. I think that was the only notable difference between content inside versus outside the booth.
Chief

Postby Crusader » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:17 am

I imagine that Lego would not want competitors like Megablocks inside their booth. But they would still want to have some stuff on the outside to draw the press and retailers in.
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative." - G.K. Chesterton
Crusader

Postby Chief » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:37 am

The argument against that though is that MegaBloks, if they really really wanted to, could find what was inside the booth by looking at the pictures all over the intertubes. The only things they wouldn't see are the few licensed sets Disney had Lego pull from the shelves during the press round that MegaBloks can't make anyways.
Chief

Postby RfAurora » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:32 pm

I'm really looking forward to, well, pretty much all the lineups coming out. I really loved the alien conquest line and the new harbor and space city line. However, despite the fact that we are getting a new MF and Republic Cruiser which I'm drooling over, I'm kinda saddened at how extremely unfinished at how it seems when you look at the bottom of those and Malak's new starfighter.
RfAurora

Next

Return to General LEGO Discussions